Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 08:59:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Burst/Harddrive Mining?  (Read 5172 times)
DRK (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:57:03 AM

Is there a future in Harddrive Mining. If people don't know what I mean I'm referring to the altcoin BURST which is mined through Proof of Capacity i.e. Harddrive space...

My question is whether there is a sustainable future in this and whether this will be the latest development in the crypto mining world?
timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:01:48 PM

What the hell is hard drive mining?
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 01:18:13 PM

storj.io is trying to sell disk for coin and your disk could join the network, the more disk space, the more coin you can earn (not bitcoin btw). I tried signing up a couple of weeks ago and nothing. They are really, really disorganized.  It could be interesting but nothing...
mthompson362

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 01:25:40 PM

storj.io is trying to sell disk for coin and your disk could join the network, the more disk space, the more coin you can earn (not bitcoin btw). I tried signing up a couple of weeks ago and nothing. They are really, really disorganized.  It could be interesting but nothing...
Hi,

Matt from Storj here. Can you expand on your issues? I would be glad to help you out!
Or feel free to contact our support desk at hello@storj.io where one of our team members will respond to you promptly. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve, please let us know! We are always open to improving ourselves in anyway we can.

Cheers!
cloverme
Legendary

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 03:10:59 PM

Hi,

Matt from Storj here. Can you expand on your issues? I would be glad to help you out!
Or feel free to contact our support desk at hello@storj.io where one of our team members will respond to you promptly. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve, please let us know! We are always open to improving ourselves in anyway we can.

Cheers!

My issues were that I signed up on 6/24, signed up for the crowdsale, bought some SJX, but then got left out of any more info. Then I see the banner here on bitcointalk, but when you click it just sends you back to the invite page. Grrrr.  I asked what was going on over at storjtalk and was told to put more into the crowdsale. I just sent a message to the support desk email.

Here's a tip: Lower your barrier to participate. You're making it too damn difficult, just put up a setup page to the drive miner and stop it with all the shenanigans. If it's not ready or hasn't been released yet, *don't advertise it!*

Sorry, I'm just pissed at you guys...

mthompson362

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 06:30:17 PM

Hi,

Cheers!

My issues were that I signed up on 6/24, signed up for the crowdsale, bought some SJX, but then got left out of any more info. Then I see the banner here on bitcointalk, but when you click it just sends you back to the invite page. Grrrr.  I asked what was going on over at storjtalk and was told to put more into the crowdsale. I just sent a message to the support desk email.

Here's a tip: Lower your barrier to participate. You're making it too damn difficult, just put up a setup page to the drive miner and stop it with all the shenanigans. If it's not ready or hasn't been released yet, *don't advertise it!*

Sorry, I'm just pissed at you guys...

Do you mean that have not been receiving emails? If that is the case, please check your spam inbox because we have been sending out a good number of emails lately that might have led to answers to your questions.

You also mentioned that you were told to put more into the crowdsale. Please do not ever feel pressured to contribute to the crowdsale. Any contributions of any kind are appreciated and we do not want to pressure you into sending more than you are comfortable with.

Right now, Metadisk is currently in its beta phase. You can try it out at node1.metadisk.org and a tutorial video on how to use it can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMIMtbBnA8 . DriveShare is currently being worked on diligently and you should see a protoype in the coming weeks. You can follow further development on Metadisk, DriveShare, and Storj in general on our GitHub: https://github.com/storj.

You can also find Storj on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and many other social media websites for daily updates on our progress. We sincerely apologize for the way you have been treated with Storj. We always try to make it as easy as possible for those interested in our project to not only find out more information, but also participate as well. If there is anything at all that we can do to improve your experience or our organization, please let us know.
cloverme
Legendary

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 08:21:09 PM

Got two emails today and a response back from tech support, so thanks.

However, you're advertising here on bitcointalk, the following ad: "RENT OUT YOUR FREE HARD DRIVE SPACE FOR COINS!" Until your miner program is released, my suggestion would be for you guys to remove your ad until you've released the program, you've been running that ad for at least a couple of weeks now. This community here has been hit hard by those asking for BTC and not delivering services.

SpeedDemon13

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 11:22:55 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 10:27:22 PM by SpeedDemon13

Is there a future in Harddrive Mining. If people don't know what I mean I'm referring to the altcoin BURST which is mined through Proof of Capacity i.e. Harddrive space...

My question is whether there is a sustainable future in this and whether this will be the latest development in the crypto mining world?

PoC mining can be, if the data is used for something positive and useful. In Burst, it's just creating data to make currency only.

Here's the link for other to see the thread on it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.0

Here's a thread I did for PoC mining: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=740158.0

Most of the info about mining is on the Burst thread, but I took some of the info and put it in a dedicated thread.

CRYPTSY exchange: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=9017 BURST= BURST-TE3W-CFGH-7343-6VM6R BTC=1CNsqGUR9YJNrhydQZnUPbaDv6h4uaYCHv ETH=0x144bc9fe471d3c71d8e09d58060d78661b1d4f32 SHF=0x13a0a2cb0d55eca975cf2d97015f7d580ce52d85 EXP=0xd71921dca837e415a58ca0d6dd2223cc84e0ea2f SC=6bdf9d12a983fed6723abad91a39be4f95d227f9bdb0490de3b8e5d45357f63d564638b1bd71 CLAMS=xGVTdM9EJpNBCYAjHFVxuZGcqvoL22nP6f SOIL=0x8b5c989bc931c0769a50ecaf9ffe490c67cb5911
mikerbiker6

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:43:45 PM

I agree with cloverme.
I can't find the download page of driveshare,  if there isn't any yet, don't advertise it.
If there is, it is well hidden.

Participate and Earn on the Letstalkbitcoin forum letstalkbitcoin.com
Bananana

Activity: 481

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 01:07:27 PM

I dont think it is a good idea, POC can be easily abuse right? Dropbox capacity, google drive maybe cd also?

cisahasa
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:43:28 PM

will i lose my coins if hd fails?

timk225

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:22:57 AM

Time for an observation on this coin and mining method, I'd like your input.

After a few days of reading on it, it seems that the only real mining equipment needed is some multi-TB hard drives, otherwise any old computer can eventually make the plot files and be good enough to mine on.

But therein lies a problem.  Cost of entry is low.  It won't be long before someone with huge storage capacity jacks the difficulty into the stratosphere.

You've seen what happened when ASICs came out for Bitcoin, and then for Scrypt coins.  Difficulty went sky high, everyone got less, and it takes a ton of money to even be a low level player.

So how long will it be before 100 TB worth of hard drives gets you one block per week?  Of an unknown, untested, unproven alt coin that could price crash at any time?

At least with BTC ASICs, their high price slowed the addition of them a bit.  Any jackhole here can call up Tiger Direct and order 100 4 TB drives at any time, and then we could see a run on large hard drives like what happened with GPUs last winter.

So part of me wants to get in on it, and part of me wants to say the hell with it, it's not worth the effort to be playing catch up and adding TBs of storage every few weeks.

And hard drives do not have good resale value.

And we are all solo mining now!  How long before Petabyte pools start on this coin?

What say you?
mikerbiker6

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:17:22 AM

you should buy 2nd hand hdd's. This will extent your mining lifetime a bit, but I agree that it won't be long before the big players crush the mining.

Participate and Earn on the Letstalkbitcoin forum letstalkbitcoin.com
MilesJohan

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:46:33 PM

Nice, is this profitable as compare to gpu mining?

MileyJohanson
FeelTheBeat

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 09:49:31 AM

How much of free HD is needed to be worth "mining" it? Because I turned off my rigs, cause it is not profitable to POW with graphics cards.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:49:08 PM

Isn't it an option to use AWS from amazon with the cheapest option/location? Or is it not worth it?
Feneusens

Activity: 275

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 11:29:48 PM

Difficulty raised too quickly and it is now not profitable to buy new one...

Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 07:13:37 AM

How much of free HD is needed to be worth "mining" it? Because I turned off my rigs, cause it is not profitable to POW with graphics cards.

Same question here. Tried to set it up yesterday on an old PC but didn't get it to mine yet, would like to know whether it's worth the effort anyway Wink
timk225

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:55:37 AM

Mining BURST isn't worth it.  In short order, someone made a program that allows GPUs to create the plot files.  And it was the equivalent of an ASIC for hard drive mining.  Difficulty skyrocketed while the price crashed and stayed crashed.  C-CEX exchange lists BURST coins and has a long term price graph.

Between August 17 and the end of September, I started learning about BURST, rounded up a bunch of laptop hard drives I had laying around, got going in mining, spent $330 buying 4 3TB drives on ebay, got them all plotted, some with the GPU plotter, sold my coins just as the price started to tumble, weathered a long one week plus period of doing lots of mining and getting nearly no coins, shut down my miners, listed the hard drives on ebay, and got back $320 for them.

The developers created a buggy, unstable miner and a wallet format unlike the -Qt wallet that almost every other coin uses, and it was all nothing but trouble and aggravation to get it working.

So you are better off not mining at all than mining BURST coin.  It is a crap coin who has had its price pump and dump.  Let it die now.
FeelTheBeat

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 10:01:04 AM

Ok, thank you for explanation. It is just bad that I missed pump time  Wink

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███