Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:44:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Billionaires hate Bitcoin.  (Read 17073 times)
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:07:22 PM

*sigh*

"the rich hate/love {insert current bullshit}"

"the poor hate/love/are oppressed by {insert current bullshit}"

There is no monolithic entity called "billionaires". It's merely a statistic. People are people, as diverse and dichotomous at all levels. I've know poor folk who didn't give a shit about anyone and rich folk who were trying their damnedest to improve humanity and the living conditions of the many. And vice versa.

There are some very specific rich people who love bitcoin. There are some very specific rich people who hate it. There are a bunch of rich people who don't give a shit, and a bunch more that are interested but essentially neutral.

How a man got to be a millionaire/billionaire will tell you a lot more about where he stands on most any issue than the amount of his wealth. Those that went out and earned it, probably would like bitcoin. Those who inherited it and are living off their daddy probably don't care. Those that stole it (banksters/politicians and such) would very much hate bitcoin as it is potentially a threat to their rapine.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 02:19:51 PM

*sigh*

There is no monolithic entity called "billionaires". It's merely a statistic. People are people, as diverse and dichotomous at all levels. I've know poor folk who didn't give a shit about anyone and rich folk who were trying their damnedest to improve humanity and the living conditions of the many. And vice versa.

There are some very specific rich people who love bitcoin. There are some very specific rich people who hate it. There are a bunch of rich people who don't give a shit, and a bunch more that are interested but essentially neutral.

How a man got to be a millionaire/billionaire will tell you a lot more about where he stands on most any issue than the amount of his wealth. Those that went out and earned it, probably would like bitcoin. Those who inherited it and are living off their daddy probably don't care. Those that stole it (banksters/politicians and such) would very much hate bitcoin as it is potentially a threat to their rapine.

Careful mate, common sense and rationality aren't strong points of bitcointalk.

Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:53:01 PM

*sigh*

Careful mate, common sense and rationality aren't strong points of bitcointalk.

Or any other fora. I wish I understood stupid better. Stupid people are unstoppable.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:05:02 PM

Those that went out and earned it, probably would like bitcoin.

Not necessarily.  Even if you look at the philanthropy by these billionaires you'll notice often that the use of public funds is either a contingency or ultimate goal.  Again, billionaires benefit from the status quo.    Bitcoin disrupts that and the power they hold.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:27:22 PM

Those that went out and earned it, probably would like bitcoin.

Not necessarily.  Even if you look at the philanthropy by these billionaires you'll notice often that the use of public funds is either a contingency or ultimate goal.  Again, billionaires benefit from the status quo.    Bitcoin disrupts that and the power they hold.

Billionaires also benefit from playing the risks and knowing, or at least correctly guessing, when the status quo is no longer ante Smiley
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 09:10:54 PM

That's probably the closest thing Bill Gates has said (to-date) that can be deemed as being in favor of Bitcoin [Edit: digital currency]:

Someone who’s interested in finance can help drive innovations such as digital currency that reduce transaction costs so that poor people can borrow at five percent a year instead of 15 percent.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130828134129-251749025-we-need-our-brightest-people-working-on-our-biggest-problems

[Update: He could be among those who consider any electronic transaction to be a "digital currency" transaction, it isn't evident from this.]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 11:42:51 PM

*sigh*
[...]
Well said. And don't forget the biggest group of billionaires - those who are uninformed about bitcoin.
xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 11:44:51 PM

That's probably the closest thing Bill Gates has said (to-date) that can be deemed as being in favor of Bitcoin [Edit: digital currency]:

Someone who’s interested in finance can help drive innovations such as digital currency that reduce transaction costs so that poor people can borrow at five percent a year instead of 15 percent.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130828134129-251749025-we-need-our-brightest-people-working-on-our-biggest-problems

[Update: He could be among those who consider any electronic transaction to be a "digital currency" transaction, it isn't evident from this.]

I think he said "Bitcoin is a techno tour de force."
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 01:08:39 AM

I am a billionaire.

I hate bitcoin.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 03:59:31 AM

"Can't think of a gift for that special billionaire in your life? .... there is always bitcoin!"

Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 09:25:24 PM

Does the currency matter for billionaires that is euro and dollar ones...

They should have relatively diverse assets for their own good so currency isn't really a big thing. If you are really rich, you are really rich no matter what currency is in use. Unless you only do bonds...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:07:14 PM

if i were a billionaire i'd have my assets diversified in many ways, gold, silver, bitcoin, real estate, etc. this way i'm not left with toilet paper when the people wake up and realize their fiat is worthless.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: