Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:33:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which (natural) language should I learn?  (Read 10594 times)
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 08:13:54 PM

It all depends on where you are in the world, and where you would like to go in the world.

So take a good look at a map, and a better look at the peoples that speak the different languages, and learn the one that fits you best, both in taste and possibly geographically too.

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:33:08 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2012, 12:57:30 AM by netrin

Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn. There are few difficult sounds to pronounce, it's widely spoken, beautiful, with much exposure and many resources (TV, books, net). If you can write Spanish you can speak it, if you can hear it you can read it. Few languages share that bijective property. Spanish has one of the easiest learning curves and does not get difficult until you learn very advanced (beyond conversational) grammar.

Learning any romance language (French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Italian, Catalan, etc) will help when learning any other romance. Learning any language at all will give you the mental tools to learn others.

Ease is not the only criteria for learning a language, but if you do plan to learn several languages, starting with an easy language can be a good strategy. I do not think that learning the tones of east Asian languages is a huge barrier. I learned a great deal of Thai (five tones) just listening to audio on repeat while I slept. The Thai people are extraordinarily encouraging and if you can handle being laughed at with, anyone on the street is an enthusiastic teacher. After some Thai, picking up conversational Lao (six tones) was cake. The tonal ear will help with others like Vietnamese (6) and maybe even Cantonese (with nine tones!).

Chinese characters are incredibly difficult will be time consuming to pick up, but learning them can be a fascinating endeavor. Perhaps more rewarding and motivated if you are actually in China (simplified) or Taiwan (traditional). Considering you intend to learn Japanese, you could start with the ~2000 tōyō and jōyō kanji which are shared between Chinese and Japanese (and are essentially the only Chinese characters used in Japan). Japanese has a few distinct sounds and predictable vowels. Mandarin Chinese has a few more phonemes and the added beauty of four tones.

In my opinion, the most fascinating languages are polysynthetic found primarily in the Arctic (Greenlandic) and in native American languages (Navajo, Mayan). But I don't imagine they'll be among your first picks if you're already undecided.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 07:18:05 PM

Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn. There are few difficult sounds to pronounce, it's widely spoken, beautiful, with much exposure and many resources (TV, books, net). If you can write Spanish you can speak it, if you can hear it you can read it. Few languages share that bijective property. Spanish has one of the easiest learning curves and does not get difficult until you learn very advanced (beyond conversational) grammar.

Learning any romance language (French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Italian, Catalan, etc) will help when learning any other romance. Learning any language at all will give you the mental tools to learn others.

Ease is not the only criteria for learning a language, but if you do plan to learn several languages, starting with an easy language can be a good strategy. I do not think that learning the tones of east Asian languages is a huge barrier. I learned a great deal of Thai (five tones) just listening to audio on repeat while I slept. The Thai people are extraordinarily encouraging and if you can handle being laughed at with, anyone on the street is an enthusiastic teacher. After some Thai, picking up conversational Lao (six tones) was cake. The tonal ear will help with others like Vietnamese (6) and maybe even Cantonese (with nine tones!).

Chinese characters are incredibly difficult will be time consuming to pick up, but learning them can be a fascinating endeavor. Perhaps more rewarding and motivated if you are actually in China (simplified) or Taiwan (traditional). Considering you intend to learn Japanese, you could start with the ~2000 tōyō and jōyō kanji which are shared between Chinese and Japanese (and are essentially the only Chinese characters used in Japan). Japanese has a few distinct sounds and predictable vowels. Mandarin Chinese has a few more phonemes and the added beauty of four tones.

In my opinion, the most fascinating languages are polysynthetic found primarily in the Arctic (Greenlandic) and in native American languages (Navajo, Mayan). But I don't imagine they'll be among your first picks if you're already undecided.

Quoted because it needs to be said again!

vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 09:17:34 PM

You forgot Quichua spoken by a large portion of the South American Natives
Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 09:23:48 PM

French. It's simple, light to the senses and Quebec is amazing.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 09:33:19 PM

Learning a language is always a good idea, as it helps to communicate. ... uhm to and with whom?

I would strongly advise against German. The grammar is a nightmare: it has three
genders (Masculine, Feminine, Neutral) and four cases (Accusative, Dative, Genitive
and Nominative), ...
It´s even worse! Natur and grammar can´t agree genderwise. Read "A Tramp Abroad" by Mark Twain to be profoundly convinced. 

... and is spoken by a rather tiny fraction of the world population (Germans and Austrians).
Bugger! You forgot Switzerland ... although ä klisigs Chuchichäschtli is pretty ununderstandable to any native german.
Once you come along northern Germany make sure to know what "Feudel und Leuwagen" is. It is something like "42 and towel" so to speak. But rarely anybody who knows what a Gummmere or Naggebuzzle is will know what you are talking about and vice versa.
Nevertheless german helps you very well through all of europe from Portugal to Montenegro as well as from Norway to Sicily. It is spoken in Belgium and northern Italy, of cause Luxembourg and ... check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language
So far so good, but why bother whilst your english is good enough to by some Schrippen.

Have you considerd Latin or Sanskrit? Ok ... just kidding but still those two have a purpose of their own.
Russian? .... ja nje gawarju pa ruski ... which is the german way to say: I don´t speak russian.
Keep ya ljoobljoo tey ya in mind, the most important sentence in any language.  Grin

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 09:58:12 PM

German is good because it's a good step towards many other Germanic languages. It's not harder than Russian. As with many other languages with complex grammars (basically all major European languages have much more complex grammars than English) the grammar variation allows to make more constructions and you can express more memorising fewer morphemes.

All important languages are similarly complex. Languages are shaped by the complexity of culture and thought, and that's similarly complex for all peoples of the world. However, it's much easier when you have more common ground.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
netrin

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 10:55:18 PM

I also can't think of any Spanish literature ... which might interest me.

Gabriel García Márquez' "El amor en los tiempos del cólera" is the most beautifully written book I've ever read. It's a pleasure in English, but...

A few lines of Pablo Neruda's poems will make most latin women wet and gringo chicks will wonder what power you wield.

German is good because it's a good step towards many other Germanic languages.

And it is consistently structured, unlike say, English.

All important languages are similarly complex. Languages are shaped by the complexity of culture and thought, and that's similarly complex for all peoples of the world.

What does this mean?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 11:09:47 PM

What does this mean?

It means that any common language is similarly rich and complex when taking all variables into consideration. Difficulty adjusts to human capability. As areas of the language grow other areas get deprecated.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 02:00:09 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2012, 02:44:19 AM by theymos

Gabriel García Márquez' "El amor en los tiempos del cólera" is the most beautifully written book I've ever read. It's a pleasure in English, but...

I've read the English translation of that. It is very good (though kind of strange). So I guess I would be interested in some Spanish literature.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
netrin

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 02:41:47 AM

So I guess I would by interested in some Spanish literature.

Italian, the closest to Latin of modern romance languages, is directly based on 13th century aristocratic Florentine. Dante Alighieri gathered the various dialects of Tuscany to produce what he thought was the most beautiful language for his poetry, La divina commedia in particular.

Electricbees

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 04:18:36 AM

Russian has been pretty fun so far...  Grin

(Not super practical though. Spanish and french are my "practical" suits as of now.)

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 04:33:14 AM

Have you considerd Latin or Sanskrit?

One of my favorite songs is partially in Sanskrit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-posN4vRc

Every concert these two sister perform at, sell out--without spending a single advertising dollar.

The following image is not related to the above, but felt it important to this post, coupled with the fact that we all know that theymos loves images.  Wink

Once you've made your choice, theymos, please let us know what it is, thus allowing us to tell you how it was the wrong choice.

~Bruno~
moocow1452

Activity: 240

Don't mind me.

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 10:19:38 PM

If you're willing to sign up with Facebook, then Spanish Hour is running a promo on Spanish Preperation as a freebie.

http://www.spanishhour.com/clep.html
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 10:31:13 PM

Remember, theymos only has a choice between five languages, and it's only for two semesters. I still feel that it's only a choice between German and Chinese, for having a rudimentary handle on either one of these would enable him to pursue his major/career much gooder.

~Bruno~
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 11:04:55 PM

If you're willing to sign up with Facebook, then Spanish Hour is running a promo on Spanish Preperation as a freebie.

Thank you very much! Just enrolled! It looks like it's way easier to learn with a french background. Gender and number work the same way!  Grin

I feel funny doing this training in english.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 11:10:13 PM

I wouldn't take Chinese if I was only doing two semesters and didn't have a pressing need for it. Personally I took Spanish, cause I'll actually use it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 11:24:27 PM

I wouldn't take Chinese if I was only doing two semesters and didn't have a pressing need for it. Personally I took Spanish, cause I'll actually use it.

+1
moocow1452

Activity: 240

Don't mind me.

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 11:46:42 PM

Thank you very much! Just enrolled! It looks like it's way easier to learn with a french background. Gender and number work the same way!  Grin

I feel funny doing this training in english.

NP, it looks a lot like DuoLingo at first shake, but haven't had enough time to really get my hands dirty.

Anyway, they have a sister site for CLEP tests for college credit. Link in the sig.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 12:45:29 AM

Now why the hell am quoting BadBear? Oh yea, I remember. Fuck Spanish, albeit your reasoning for not taking Chinese is valid. That leaves only German.

I present my case via a YouTube video. Everybody else feel like presenting their case as well via the same, please do so. That said, my best argument for theymos to take German for two semesters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urAz1T5hxsA

Don't forget to include an image when stating your case.

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: