Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:10:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which (natural) language should I learn?  (Read 10594 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 10:59:36 PM

... so now theymos? What is your decision?

Not totally sure yet. Probably I'll make an impulse decision about it at the last moment. I'm leaning toward French, though.

I'll post here when I've made a final decision.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2012, 02:01:15 AM

Not totally sure yet. Probably I'll make an impulse decision about it at the last moment. I'm leaning toward French, though.

French school: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_E-MST5yvg
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 07:24:57 PM

I'm from Quebec, Canada, my native language is french.

I would say that french and spanish are really similar, and when you know one, it's easy to learn the other. I've followed spanish courses a couple of years ago, and even if I've forgot almost everything of it and didn't practice it, I can still understand basic spanish. A lot of words are similar and sentences are written almost the same way. Sure, it's not the exact same thing, but going from english to french to spanish or english to spanish to french is going to be a lot easier than going from english to mandarin.

I don't know how many languages you want to learn, but tell yourself that if you learn french, you already know somes bases of spanish (or vice-versa).

Best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in a country that speaks it. And since Québec is awesome, you should come here. We'll teach you hockey, beer and sacrer (because Tabarnak is the best word ever Grin ).

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 12:41:20 AM

Well, if you meet someone about your age that is native in german, there are very high chances (s)he'll be better in english than you in german...
I never got why anyone would learn italian, after all it's only spoken in 1 country, this leaves french, spanish and chinese.

It might be helpful to know if you speak any other languages besides english (and which level)... chinese might be really interesting but is probably a pain in the ass to learn outside of China. between french and spanish it really boils down to what you consider more interesting - just learning a language for the sake of it has no real point in my opinion, so plan a nice trip to Canada/France/Haiti or the southern part of North America and below/Spain asap or at least hang out with some exchange students.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 11:39:37 PM

Well, if you meet someone about your age that is native in german, there are very high chances (s)he'll be better in english than you in german...

Actually, the chances are that she'll speak better English than you speak English.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 12:52:56 AM

At the age of 40-something, I started learning Japanese.  I know enough to get me around the place and scare the locals.  I also learn kanji and can read enough, but still enjoy the slow progress I'm making.  If you're wanting to learn that later in life, starting now makes some sense.

I could have learnt Chinese, as may more people speak it, and in the future (a few decades) they will be a major international influence, however, my interest was in Japan, not China),  While in Kyoto recently we met a student from Shanghai - amongst her amazing traits was fluent english, chinese and japanese and could simultaneously translate between the three.  She was very smart - doing law.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:57:20 AM

It might be helpful to know if you speak any other languages besides english (and which level)...

I don't speak any other languages.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Stardust

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 04:36:07 AM

Most people that don't speak English as second language, usually speak German or French, but most likely German. Regardless which language you choose, learn Japanese as your third, for good fun and mental exercise.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 01:18:55 PM

Most people that don't speak English as second language, usually speak German or French, but most likely German. Regardless which language you choose, learn Japanese as your third, for good fun and mental exercise.

The only places I can imagine where people would speak german but not english (besides old people in Germany/Austria/Switzerland that have already forgotten english or never learnt it properly) would maybe be some rural areas in the neighbouring countries of the native german ones...

As you said you don't know any other natural language so far, I'd really recommend you to watch a few movies you already know (or you don't know) in both french and spanish (maybe subtitled so you also see how it's written). Then choose the one that you like most. "I have to learn a language for college but actually want to learn japanese" is not a very strong motivator in my opinon and you'l need a LOT of motivation to learn a language from scratch.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Ean

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 02:46:26 PM

Quote from: (some guy in the second Matrix movie)
I love French wine, like I love the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with. Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculer ta mère. It's like wiping your arse with silk. I love it.

Quote from: Douglas Adams
The World Wide Web is the only thing I know of whose shortened form takes three times longer to say than what it's short for
JennyHill

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 07:54:01 PM

I think the first language most Yanks should learn to speak, read and write fluently is English.  Grin
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 07:54:56 PM

I think the first language most Yanks should learn to speak, read and write fluently is English.  Grin

+1, although I don't think Theymos has any outstanding issues in this department.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
JennyHill

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 08:04:13 PM

I think the first language most Yanks should learn to speak, read and write fluently is English.  Grin

+1, although I don't think Theymos has any outstanding issues in this department.

The odd bit is if you speak only one language in most of the EU you are severely handicapped.
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 08:50:21 PM

... I'm leaning toward French, though. ...
Très magnifique bien sûr! Alors on y va.

A long time ago I stopped a 5 years attempt to avoid learning french.  Grin
Skipped it for chemistry, made life easier in those days.

Is there something like this for translating english to french and vice versa?

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 11:24:57 PM

... I'm leaning toward French, though. ...
Très magnifique bien sûr! Alors on y va.

A long time ago I stopped a 5 years attempt to avoid learning french.  Grin
Skipped it for chemistry, made life easier in those days.

Is there something like this for translating english to french and vice versa?

Who would use a dictionary nowadays Huh

translate.google.com

But what happens immediately post WWIII when you want to be able to impress a French exchange student on the outskirts of the ruined glassy radioactive wasteland that used to be your city? You'll need a book then. I say be prepared.

(same goes for a zombie apocalypse and a French exchange student. A living one, I mean).

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 01:07:30 AM

But what happens immediately post WWIII when you want to be able to impress a French exchange student on the outskirts of the ruined glassy radioactive wasteland that used to be your city? You'll need a book then. I say be prepared.

(same goes for a zombie apocalypse and a French exchange student. A living one, I mean).

I would stay away from french girls if I was you, wether they are dead or alive...
French kiss and stuff... yuck!  Wink
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 03:16:20 AM

I would stay away from french girls if I was you, wether they are dead or alive...

Have you ever wondered if Bruce and Ed French kiss in bed? Now that you (the reader) have read that sentence, try getting the image out of your mind.

~Cackling Bear~
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 03:27:39 AM

Have you ever wondered if Bruce and Ed French kiss in bed? Now that you (the reader) have read that sentence, try getting the image out of your mind.

~Cackling Bear~

I hate you!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 03:47:47 AM

~Cackling Bear~

I hate you!

What?  Grin

Premier jour dans la classe française.

ç
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 04:27:07 AM

Premier jour dans la classe française.

In case you don't speak French, he wrote "The Premier took Frank's dance classes". Not sure which Premier he means though.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: