Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:56:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadcast transactions via tor, do everything else normally?  (Read 1108 times)
Automatic (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:28:03 PM

Is this possible? I don't want to use tor for everything else as there's no real private data being transferred 99.99% of the time (Just everyone else's data), what I want is for bitcoind to act as two different clients, one on tor (That literally only sends transactions) and one on the clearnet that does all the generic stuff like forwarding blocks and transactions, saving blocks, etc...

For reference, this does mean I want this to occur when I send a transaction:-
1. Send transaction via Tor
2. Wait for transaction to reach you via clearnet (Due to the fact it's propagated to everyone)
3. Forward the transaction anyway via clearnet as if you don't (And instead say "I already knew of this"), someone looking at your traffic would be able to determine that you could be the one that sent it.

I'd prefer not to run two copies of bitcoind, I know it's probably possible doing that, but, that's a large overhead.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justmy2cents

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:00:24 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 05:31:09 PM by justmy2cents

Why Tor?  Why not rent a cheap VPS and run bitcoind (without the wallet)?

Use a VPN to send transactions from your place. Use the bitcoind RPC as the public interface.

If the transaction is signed then there is no reason to encrypt... it will be public anyway.

If you insist on Tor, rent a cheap VPS. Install the Tor hidden service software and configure the ssh (port 22) interface. Use iptables to close all inbound ports. At your end, get a copy of Tails, connect to the .onion address using ssh, and run bitcoind. Use the bitcoind CLI to send commands.

TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 11:27:15 PM

1. Download and run Tor Browser
2. Go to https://blockchain.info/pushtx
3. ???
4. Profit! Er..Anonymity!
Automatic (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:36:24 AM

Why Tor?  Why not rent a cheap VPS and run bitcoind (without the wallet)?

Use a VPN to send transactions from your place. Use the bitcoind RPC as the public interface.

If the transaction is signed then there is no reason to encrypt... it will be public anyway.

If you insist on Tor, rent a cheap VPS. Install the Tor hidden service software and configure the ssh (port 22) interface. Use iptables to close all inbound ports. At your end, get a copy of Tails, connect to the .onion address using ssh, and run bitcoind. Use the bitcoind CLI to send commands.

Transaction will be public, sure, but, routing the broadcast over tor prevents anyone listening to your traffic realizing you sent it, just that someone, somewhere in the world sent it. I can already (And have already) done things like you recommend (Albeit, without the VPS, just two copies of bitcoind, one configured for tor, one not), it's just a huge pain to constantly jump between the two clients, one for creating/managing funds/transactions, one for actually broadcasting.

1. Download and run Tor Browser
2. Go to https://blockchain.info/pushtx
3. ???
4. Profit! Er..Anonymity!

'Tis be a huge pain for every single transaction.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: