Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:28:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I've lost my password to multibit wallet  (Read 1456 times)
JamesGuitar (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:56:34 PM

Anyone help I thought it was the password I'm putting in but it won't open I hope it hasn't corrupted and I've just made a mistake somewhere.
Btcvilla

Activity: 1078
Merit: 270

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:00:32 PM

I cant really understand you...
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:04:34 PM

Anyone help I thought it was the password I'm putting in but it won't open I hope it hasn't corrupted and I've just made a mistake somewhere.
Did you encrypt your wallet? or the wallet wont open?

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
JamesGuitar (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:15:02 PM

Sorry not so good at english. I have enecrypted my wallet with a password and have forgotten it (i think) I thought the one im putting it is right but its not opening.
Lieji

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:35:16 PM

Sorry not so good at english. I have enecrypted my wallet with a password and have forgotten it (i think) I thought the one im putting it is right but its not opening.

First, calm down and write down what you can think of now.
Then, try some variations of your password like typing it with cap locks, num locks.

blumangroup

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 06:12:00 PM

Yeah, I agree. How do you "lose" a password. If you forgot it, that is your terrible own fault. Don't make a password if you can't remember it, or just don't make one at all. Did you at least save your private keys?

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:17:16 PM

Hi, I've been in same situation some time ago, just only 0.5 BTC but that helplessness was terrible.

How much bitcoins you had there:

It took me two days to solve problem. I used brand new pass, so it was easy to forgot. So I sat down start brainstorming, trying to recall what I was thinking about.
Luckily I made it, and immediately change the pass.

My advice:
Do you think you used your regular pass or new one?
In case of regular, check possible TYPO.     
- caps-lock
- holding shift little longer than need e.g. "PAssword" insted of "Password"
- keyboard setup (e.g. czech keyboard has swapped "Z" and "Y" - can easily make TYPO when keyboard is setup to EN)

If you think you used new one. you really need to get calm. Think about what happen that time, recall all what you have done at the moment. And try, try and try again - there are no limitations.   

P.S. In past I've read thread about similar issue. There was a guy who wrote a script to auto try passwords. But you need at least basic part of it, otherwise it take lot of time.
Try to search through forum.   

good luck 

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:56:24 PM

You should write down what you remember of the password immediately. Then try as many variations as you can. Maybe do this in a few sittings because sometimes a fresh mind can work magic. If you still can't decrypt the wallet then your best bet is to contact this guy:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240779.0

MarisaFea

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:58:25 PM

Contact these guys:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=717334.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240779.0
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:10:54 AM

Be very careful with a recovery service if they have the wallet file and you have asked to decrypt it your trusting them with all that is in your wallet.

I would try to remember, write down a few guesses.  Take a deep breath and do something else the more frustrated you get the harder it will be. 
xcapator

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

Here I Am !!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:44:09 AM

If you still remember part of your passwords, then you'll have higher chance to recover it. There are many tools out there that you can use to do a brute force attack against your forgotten password

BeatMo

Activity: 39

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 11:15:26 AM

one time i had the same problem. i used English (United Kingdom) language and created password with it, then i entered password using English (United States) language and it didn't work, because some symbols aren't the same
abora

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 12:40:28 PM

Just relax or take a walk or something it helps in such situations.It does the trick for me at least so give a try. May be you will remember your password.

DodoriousMaximus

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:04:31 PM

Thats unfortunate. You need to repeat the pass a million times before setting it.
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:10:21 PM

How long was the password approximately? Did you use common words or anything? Do you think it's just a small typo? How many BTC were in the wallet. A rather simple passphrase may be decrypted if the bounty is high enough.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
nicojuritz

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:19:05 PM

That is very sad but be careful with passwords that you use,and hope you don't much btc on your wallet.
Abdullah001

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:29:57 PM

If you totally forgot your password than it's terrible. You need to write down it somewhere. I wish you could remember your password.
oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:32:40 PM

This is a bad predicament to be in I will admit. I understand that you have to make your passwords really secure so that they are not easily guessed but keeping them in a safe place is always wise in case of times like this.

I would personally sit and think of all the passwords you have used in the past and write them down, try all different variation if possible and hopefully you may either get it right or it may come to you. I really do hope you remember it soon.
BigMac
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:52:16 PM

If there are just a few unknown characters in your password, you may try to brue-force it.
Good luck.

ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 06:31:48 PM

Hey OP, please provide us with some additional information (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=743176.msg8540670#msg8540670) there may be still quite a good chance that your BTC aren't lost and you may brute-force the password to your wallet!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: