Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:46:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ethereum the altcoin killer?  (Read 3337 times)
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:24:15 PM

"Ethereum the altcoin killer?"

For me IPOs are broken system of currency creation at some point any BIG IT company can come in and serve us best IPOs best features like etherum did.
This is not direction where we should go - that is why i love BTC LTC DOGE BC and whole non ipo coins...
Next time it will be digital USD dollar then other fiat currencies and development by governments.
Do we really want such stuff ? For me on existing blockchain balance you can do any BTC2.0 feature.
Like smart contracts ( Bithalo ) you don't need have all stuff in one wallet.
Bitcoins 2.0 are BIG ipos nothing real more - BTC is good as 1.0 2.0 3.0.
Real difference between BTC and alts is POS <> POW or maybe block time - features are so stupid any coin have same features all depends if you alt dev is motivated enough to
made them.

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
themasknetwork

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

MaskNetwork lead developer

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 12:34:02 PM

"...for technical reasons EthSuisse may need to change the annual rate of new creation to a value lower than 26% to account for changes to the Ethereum mining algorithm or to address other issues that may arise. There is no guarantee that this percentage will be accurate or that this rate will continue at the same level..."

So

- Ethereum is an inflationary "coin"
- The initial inflation rate is 26%.
- There is no maximum number of ethers that can be generated.
- The team will "adjust" the inflation rate "to address other issues that may arise".

This coin will kill all alts in 3 months from launch. Trust me...

Nobody will touch an alt coin after $15.000.000(initial IPO) will become $100.000 (3-4 weeks after the team will manually adjust the inflation rate for the first time) .

MASKNETWORK.
    Decentralized social trading network that rewards users  |   JOIN ICO
    Assets | Binary Options | Leveraged Markets - Trade and get paid !!!
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:37:12 PM

I am starting to think so, why would you want any other altcoin when you have ethereum that can do it all?

It doesn't even exist yet. Ether isn't even a currency, it's "fuel". A digital IOU. It doesn't even have a total supply. They could change it at a whim.

This is the worst kind of speculation. There's no product on the market yet.

Investors can't blame anyone if they lose all it out on vaporware.

That's the risk you take. Everyone's hoping to be a part of the next NXT, but unfortunately Ethereum is too complicated, too ambitious, and too convoluted to be an easy sell.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
balu2

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:08:01 PM

ether:
-highly flameable
-very volatile
-vapourizes quickly
-explosive
-causes anesthesia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ether

what else do you need to know?

randayh (OP)

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 03:09:51 PM

I'm already invested and cant take it back...

The only one coin and it's Bitcoin!

scryptasicminer

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:11:08 AM

Last week and this week should prove this statement even strongly.

There is only bitcoin and nothing else.
Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 11:03:37 PM

How does this prove it? If you are stuck in this mentality you will lose out big time. Various new and interesting projects are coming up, and Bitcoin might eventually become obsolete.
JohnDing

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:36:30 AM

The killer of altcoins is here: http://iCoinHost.org
rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:13:07 AM

I hate IPO coins all ends with the team leaving the project and running with the money. I dont believe it will clean all of the others alts.
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:39:40 AM

Yea and week later BTC dump 650$ -> 300$ by people playing in margin trading.
All crypto markets are very similar just accept it sometimes they are different with time scales.

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
scryptasicminer

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:23:33 PM

How does this prove it? If you are stuck in this mentality you will lose out big time. Various new and interesting projects are coming up, and Bitcoin might eventually become obsolete.

So far, all the altcoins and projects eventually turn totally disaster. Until the market say otherwise, the statement still hold true for now.

TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:37:37 PM

We know from Vitalik's blog that top 100 Ethereum wallets own around 45%.  Wallets =/= People, a common security practice is to break up your large funds to avoid losing them all to a single hack theft.  So it could be anywhere from 10 - 99 people.

Another scary thing to consider is Vitalik is also dumping 1000s of BTC as we speak, but the Ethereum counter continues to go up / remains open.  There's a reason why in most IPOs the developers don't move the funds as they'ld be accused of self-feeding and manipulating the capitalization.  

How do we know Vitalik isn't taking 1000s of BTC from the IPO and isn't throwing them (after using a mixer)  straight back into the Ethereum IPO to pad up the capitalization?

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 05:01:33 PM

I personally dont think Ethereum is the alt killer because look at BitHalo and Blackhalo, its ALREADY doing what ethereum wants to do. Didnt even take an IPO.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
JohnDing

Activity: 59

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:01:17 PM

guys, take a look icoinhost.org, it is already in TestNet, you can have your own altcoin for free, 10 miiliion of them.
Schwarzalbert

Activity: 51

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:07:22 PM

Till now Ethereum is nothing but the summary of ideas of its devs and the amount of collected bit coins. This is the fact and all other things are truly speculative at the moment.
So no; atm I don't think Ethereum can kill altcoins!
JakeThePanda

Activity: 644

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:33:56 PM

Ethereum is a great idea, but a terrible investment.  We may even get a better price than the IPO after launch. I do think we are heading into the dead alt-coin stage.

IMO, most new coins coming out will have a hard time breaking the 50k market cap barrier, even if they have proof of developer, anon and maybe even a few other cool features.  The current feature sets have  been done to death and only a few will survive from here.  New coins have shorter pumps and drop like a rock immediately.  Alt-coins won't need any help dying.
scryptasicminer

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:14:06 PM

I personally dont think Ethereum is the alt killer because look at BitHalo and Blackhalo, its ALREADY doing what ethereum wants to do. Didnt even take an IPO.

They didn't do a good job on marketing then.

Ethereum IPO is very successfully by just any measure. The project itself, not so much in my opinion.
spud21

Activity: 342

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:52:52 PM

We know from Vitalik's blog that top 100 Ethereum wallets own around 45%.  Wallets =/= People, a common security practice is to break up your large funds to avoid losing them all to a single hack theft.  So it could be anywhere from 10 - 99 people.

Another scary thing to consider is Vitalik is also dumping 1000s of BTC as we speak, but the Ethereum counter continues to go up / remains open.  There's a reason why in most IPOs the developers don't move the funds as they'ld be accused of self-feeding and manipulating the capitalization.  

How do we know Vitalik isn't taking 1000s of BTC from the IPO and isn't throwing them (after using a mixer)  straight back into the Ethereum IPO to pad up the capitalization?

Has Vitalik said when he will start dumping the rest of the IPO bitcoins after the IPO ends around the 1st of September?
Momimaus

Activity: 767

Never back down !!!

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:47:43 PM

No other coin is doing what Ethereum is trying to do. We don´t even know if it will be possible ever.

But if Vitalik succeeds Ethereum will be the next big thing. The first real Bitcoin competitor in case of adoption.

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
CoinTracking is analyzing all your trades and generates in real time tons of useful information such as the profit / loss of your trades, your balances, realized and unrealized gains, reports for tax declaration and many more. For Bitcoin and over 3000 altcoins, assets and commodities.
Get 10% discount for all packages or create your own affiliate link to get 20% for every sale.
Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:02:18 PM

No other coin is doing what Ethereum is trying to do. We don´t even know if it will be possible ever.

But if Vitalik succeeds Ethereum will be the next big thing. The first real Bitcoin competitor in case of adoption.

That's the issue, though. Ethereum hasn't done anything yet. Which is no different than any other IPO. It can make lofty promises, but whether it can deliver on them, and even if it could, if the market takes any interest in it, is another matter.

Right now that's two big IFs. This forum is always talking about the "next big thing", which almost always turns out not to be. I just think people need to be pragmatic. Put yourself in the shoes of someone even Ethereum. How would you hear about it? Would you use it? Would you understand it?

You've got to come at this from a position that we, the crypto community, understand crypto. Everyone else doesn't, and Ether is very much being sold on a basis that we understand. I can understand that as an investor, you're going to want to praise Ethereum and sell it as the next big thing, but don't get blinded by a group of investors telling each other the product is great, when non-investors might not agree. If you hear someone praising Ether highly, then they have an invested interest in it doing well, regardless.

Is an investor a reliable, unbiased opinion on Ethereum? Of course not. It's the non-holders you should pay attention to most, whether it be positive or negative.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: