Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:04:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It is astounding how many scammers there are.  (Read 4359 times)
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 10:06:40 PM

Just thought I would throw that out there. I'd say about half of the people I've dealt with have either been obviously scammers or just kind of stupid. Not to discount the good people I have dealt with, because there have been just as many, but seriously, make sure you watch who you deal with.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 10:11:06 PM

Scammers, specialized virus ... all of them will target BTC as it goes massive.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
carlerha

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 10:20:01 PM

Some steps can be taken to lower the risk of ripped off, e.g. Clearcoin: https://clearcoin.appspot.com
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 12:28:19 AM

I haven't been scammed yet.  But of course my first few trades and transactions were only with people who had tons of posts on the forums or ran a business (like CoinPal) or had a super good OTC rating, and I always sent first and started out with small transactions.  Now I have a bit of a rep, and I'll do small transactions with new people (provided they send first), and larger transactions with well established people.

I feel like it's pretty easy to not get scammed if you structure how you go about trading in a reasonable way.  Yeah, if you do a 400 btc transaction with a guy you've never seen before and you send first, there's a really good chance you'll get scammed.  But that's freaking stupid.  How have you been scammed, and is there anything about how you've been trading that you think might lend to scammers seeking you out?  Like always sending first, or trading large amounts with new people over Paypal, or something like that..??  Use your head, and plan ahead of time if you need cash for bitcoins, so that you don't have just jump on the first buyer you see.  Use not just the OTC web of trust, but your own brain's web of trust.  Does the person have a lot of posts and arguments in the econ forum about why Bitcoins are a good currency, and his account was created a year ago?  Even if I haven't traded with him, that makes him seem more legit.  Does he have a high OTC rating and can sign something form that account's key to prove it's him?  Also good.

Or does he just have one post saying he wants to buy bitcoins with Paypal?  There's good ways to reasonably protect yourself, even in an anonymous environment like this.  It takes TIME to build a reputation, and TIME is something fly by night scammers don't want to spend.  So look for people who've been around, and the people that THEY recommend.  Build your own "web of trust" via this community and other good places like it.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:18:52 AM

I haven't been scammed yet.  But of course my first few trades and transactions were only with people who had tons of posts on the forums or ran a business (like CoinPal) or had a super good OTC rating, and I always sent first and started out with small transactions.  Now I have a bit of a rep, and I'll do small transactions with new people (provided they send first), and larger transactions with well established people.

I feel like it's pretty easy to not get scammed if you structure how you go about trading in a reasonable way.  Yeah, if you do a 400 btc transaction with a guy you've never seen before and you send first, there's a really good chance you'll get scammed.  But that's freaking stupid.  How have you been scammed, and is there anything about how you've been trading that you think might lend to scammers seeking you out?  Like always sending first, or trading large amounts with new people over Paypal, or something like that..??  Use your head, and plan ahead of time if you need cash for bitcoins, so that you don't have just jump on the first buyer you see.  Use not just the OTC web of trust, but your own brain's web of trust.  Does the person have a lot of posts and arguments in the econ forum about why Bitcoins are a good currency, and his account was created a year ago?  Even if I haven't traded with him, that makes him seem more legit.  Does he have a high OTC rating and can sign something form that account's key to prove it's him?  Also good.

Or does he just have one post saying he wants to buy bitcoins with Paypal?  There's good ways to reasonably protect yourself, even in an anonymous environment like this.  It takes TIME to build a reputation, and TIME is something fly by night scammers don't want to spend.  So look for people who've been around, and the people that THEY recommend.  Build your own "web of trust" via this community and other good places like it.

+1
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:38:35 AM

Of course there's ways to protect oneself, I've only had one person get one over on me from a small transaction early on. However, I see a lot of people try. And then there's things like on BiddingPond where you have non-payers. They just say, "Oh, I forgot that I don't have any Bitcoins." I'm just saying people need to take your advice and use caution, because there are a lot of people out there right now trying to get Bitcoins in any way they can.
serial

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:52:34 AM

I'm jumping into the bitcoin community head first and getting scammed is essentially the only logistical concern I have. Would you guys say that these forums, or #bitcoin-otc's bot, or some other place is the best to establish someone as honest? I only say that because I'm inclined to trust anyone from here with a few good trades to their name but I'm also brand new to this and I am going to have to earn trust as well so I'd like to start in the place most people prefer.

I also looked at clearcoin but as I'm intending to be the one supplying the bitcoins and they allow you to simply not confirm receipt and get your bitcoins returned it doesn't really work irrespective of trust level.
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:03:53 AM

I'm jumping into the bitcoin community head first and getting scammed is essentially the only logistical concern I have. Would you guys say that these forums, or #bitcoin-otc's bot, or some other place is the best to establish someone as honest? I only say that because I'm inclined to trust anyone from here with a few good trades to their name but I'm also brand new to this and I am going to have to earn trust as well so I'd like to start in the place most people prefer.

I also looked at clearcoin but as I'm intending to be the one supplying the bitcoins and they allow you to simply not confirm receipt and get your bitcoins returned it doesn't really work irrespective of trust level.

Yeah, you'll want to do a full spectrum evaluation. Don't just look at one thing. I dealt with a guy who I ended up not doing business with even though he had a few good otc web of trust ratings, but hardly any forum posts and a horrible habit of non-communication. I also found out everyone else who had dealt with him had problems too. So use your head, and use ClearCoin. If you offer ClearCoin and the other person refuses, don't do business with them.
serial

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 08:04:18 AM

Re: Distribution

Ok thanks I'll use ClearCoin exclusively then until I too get established so my lack of reputation doesn't matter so much.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 11:36:06 AM

Just like in a real world flea market people will have to learn how to recognize scammers through their mistakes.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
luv2drnkbr

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 11:43:29 PM

lol so after posting this great advice, I just got my first paypal chargeback today.  lol just had to let you guys know....

Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:27:52 AM

lol so after posting this great advice, I just got my first paypal chargeback today.  lol just had to let you guys know....

Doesn't surprise me. I'm telling you, they're horrible people.
luv2drnkbr

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 01:30:46 PM

Why did you vote me down?  My advice was good, whether or not I happen to follow it!

Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 02:20:52 PM

I didn't vote you down. I haven't voted at all. Did you vote me down?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 02:21:40 PM

DIdn't get scammed yet.

I am lucky.  Wink

luv2drnkbr

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 02:30:21 AM

I didn't vote you down. I haven't voted at all. Did you vote me down?

No, but my first downvote happened very soon after your reply, so I thought it was you.  I actually don't even know how to vote on reputation around here...

PwrLeveld

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

Computta Mine Your Own BTC

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 02:44:13 AM

Well to give my 2 Bitcents,
It is anyonmous and not face to face. Scammers are inevitable and you need to be a smart buyer when using bitcoins.
However, I truly posted because it said read 666 times when I opened ths thread. Apearantly scammers are the devil.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS: Please let CHAUL JHIN KIM win the NEW ZEALAND POWERBALL JACKPOT. He will use the money to set up his own RESEARCH LAB and find the CURES for CANCER and AGING! He will release the CURES into the PUBLIC DOMAIN! (a la Jonas Salk) EVERYONE regardless of wealth will no longer need to SUFFER! CHILDHOOD CANCER will also be HISTORY! Thank you! - A Faithful Believer. P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray with me!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 03:37:32 PM

You can also look up the person/business on bitcoinfeedback.com.  It's a short list right now, but growing...
flags

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 07:47:19 PM

I was a little confused when my first post in Marketplace->Selling got such a negative response. Now I see why.

It seems anonymity brings out the worst in people, from my experience. Many people have issues dealing face-to-face, but are actually brilliant minds capable of quick, dirty scams online. I can see the BitCoin community peaking in this regard in the coming month/months, as a massive amount of new people seem to be joining to get in on the action (so to speak.)

I guess the real solution to this is to only deal with people who seem to have good feedback. The link SgtSpike posted (bitcoinfeedback.com) looks promising; let's hope it develops.
paleface

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 12:53:01 AM

pretty sure this whole joint is getting lit up by a small set of organized scammers operating out of canada that used to focus primarily on mischief involving online pharmacies, drug forums, and steroids.    You poor kids are in for a real dissapointing (as in losing faith in humanity dissapointing) treat because these characters are nasty.

Damn shame!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: