Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:34:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing the Bitcoin 100: A Kickstarter for BUSINESSES!  (Read 8170 times)
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 12:27:47 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2012, 12:36:06 AM by MemoryDealers

Introducing the Bitcoin 100: A Kickstarter for Businesses

In an attempt to get more businesses to accept Bitcoins directly as payments,  
lets compile a list of people who will promise to make an initial purchase with Bitcoins.
It will be a kind of Bitcoin cash mob.
Once we have some decent numbers for a specific business, we will contact them directly about accepting Bitcoins.

Initial targets are:

1. BlueNile.com Prices start at just $25 !!!
2. Newegg.com
3. Memoryx.net
4. Your suggestion here

Please post your name,  and amount you pledge to buy and from which company

Pledges:

User Name         1. BlueNile.com         2. Newegg.com         3. Memoryx.net
MemoryDealers             $0                     $100                    $1,000
rjk                              $0                     $100                    $0
MelMan2002               $100                     $100                    $100
Daily Anarchist              $0                      $2000                  $0
CornedBeefHash            $0                      $100                    $0
Serge                          $0                      $200                    $0
Kluge                          $0                      $250                    $0
dollartrader                  $0                      $200                    $0
tysat                           $0                      $300                    $0
BusmasterDM               $0                      $250                    $0
Transisto                     $0                      $5000                    $0
trentzb                        $0                      $500                    $0
Troll Toll                      $500                   $1000                    $0
amencon                      $0                       $200                    $0
adamstg                      $0                       $100                    $0

Grand Total               $600                     $10,400                  $1,100

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:34:22 AM

Introducing the Bitcoin 100: A Kickstarter for Businesses

In an attempt to get more businesses to accept Bitcoins directly as payments,  lets compile a list of people who will promise to make an initial purchase wit Bitcoins.  It will be a kind of Bitcoin cash mob.  Once we have some decent numbers, we will contact these businesses directly about accepting Bitcoins.

Initial targets are:

1. BlueNile.com Prices start at just $25 !!!
2. Newegg.com
3. Memoryx.net
4. Your suggestion here

Please post your name,  and amount you pledge to buy and from which company

Pledges:

User Name         1. BlueNile.com         2. Newegg.com         3. Memoryx.net
MemoryDealers      $50,000                     $100                    $1,000

Newegg is an excellent target for accepting bitcoins. They have an large selection of cheap items as well as more expensive ones. I'd be down for at least $100 bucks worth of stuff if they added bitcoins as a payment option.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
MelMan2002

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:36:46 AM

I'll pledge $100 to each of these.

19F6veduCZcudwXuWoVosjmzziQz4EhBPS
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 02:28:07 AM

Considering as how I am in need of building a new computer, I'll pledge $2,000 to newegg.com.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 03:41:56 AM

i constantly buy stuff on newegg, so that's a no-brainer, would definitely make at least $200 purchase in BTC
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 03:58:25 AM

$250 on Newegg.
dollartrader

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:31:14 AM

$200 to newegg
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 01:38:04 PM

obviously something with a very broad customer base like newegg is an optimal target. its easier to get pledges and its useful to more potential bitcoiners.
this is all very us-centered though. i wonder if we can get some good suggestions and possibly pledges for germany. it has a lot of bitcoins, so maybe a not-too-big online hardware store or supermarket might be convinced.

for hardware i would suggest notebooksbillger.de or mindfactory.de, for food and general goods i can only think of lebensmittel.de or gourmondo.de. if i get some good suggestions or pledges i think we can start a thread in the german forum.

i also wonder if there are any good targets, virtual goods stores or online shops that have, for some reason, an appeal to customers worldwide.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 02:48:15 PM

I'd spend at least $300 at newegg (new computer parts to buy), and I'd also suggest amazon as another target.
BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 02:55:31 PM

I pledge to spend at least $250/year at Newegg in Bitcoin.

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 03:52:48 PM

obviously something with a very broad customer base like newegg is an optimal target. its easier to get pledges and its useful to more potential bitcoiners.
this is all very us-centered though. i wonder if we can get some good suggestions and possibly pledges for germany. it has a lot of bitcoins, so maybe a not-too-big online hardware store or supermarket might be convinced.

for hardware i would suggest notebooksbillger.de or mindfactory.de, for food and general goods i can only think of lebensmittel.de or gourmondo.de. if i get some good suggestions or pledges i think we can start a thread in the german forum.

i also wonder if there are any good targets, virtual goods stores or online shops that have, for some reason, an appeal to customers worldwide.

This, via Googling News ("new online store"):

If Pottermore, JK Rowling's new online store, proves a success, it could provide a model for other authors and publishers and undermine the clout of Amazon, which dominates e-book sales.

Doesn't Harry Potter have something to do with secrets. I'm not versed in HP, but felt a connection could be made nonetheless. At the very lease, do your own Google News using the the same, or similar, keywords (in quotes work best).

~Bruno~
fornit

Activity: 991

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:22:54 PM

If Pottermore, JK Rowling's new online store, proves a success, it could provide a model for other authors and publishers and undermine the clout of Amazon, which dominates e-book sales.

that reminds me of something: i think cashmusic.org might be a good candidate. its a site providing free open source tools to help musicians setup their own business without paying cuts and fees to everyone and their little brother. right now they go with paypal - both for donations and also for helping the musicians setup payment options, but considering the whole project is pretty much about keeping the hard earned money where it belongs i think it might be easy to convince them to provide a basic bitcoin guide to their users as well.

btw: searching the web easy - when you know what you are looking for. "new online shop" doesnt really cut it.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 06:15:44 PM

that reminds me of something: i think cashmusic.org might be a good candidate. its a site providing free open source tools to help musicians setup their own business without paying cuts and fees to everyone and their little brother. right now they go with paypal - both for donations and also for helping the musicians setup payment options, but considering the whole project is pretty much about keeping the hard earned money where it belongs i think it might be easy to convince them to provide a basic bitcoin guide to their users as well.

btw: searching the web easy - when you know what you are looking for. "new online shop" doesnt really cut it.

You know what I like about this idea/thread? It's backed by Roger Ver, somebody who already has an established presence on the web, thus offering an official voice, of sorts, to other online entities, raising further awareness to Bitcoin.

~Bruno~
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:42:31 PM

Memory Dealers - great idea but that is a slow road.

How bout expanding your operations to include more consumer items a la NewEgg? Granted you can't really compete on price but if things were within 5-10% I would certainly user your store.  I would commit to 500$+ in random gear (maybe hard drives, usb drives, memory, monitors, etc)

As it stands I have no real use for 5k+ Cisco gear but really want to support your business (And continued bitcoin evangelism:)

Thanks
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 11:19:38 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2012, 05:55:49 AM by Stephen Gornick

Prove to the merchant there is a revenue stream by showing existing purchases made through another mechanism, like gift cards.

Consider yearly sales numbers that SpendBitcoins would show if lots of us bought only using Kroger (Ralphs supermarket, Food 4 Less, Fred Meyer, Fry's Marketplace, etc.) gift cards paid for using bitcoin.

Now if there was a similar option for buying gasoline.  Together those annual volumes might be attractive.  

And it is easy to onboard bitcoin if that transaction is simply to exchange BTCs for a prepaid debit product.  The ecommerce and in-store point of sale systems don't need to have any concept of bitcoins, just the special page for converting from BTCs to their prepaid USDs is all that is needed.

Ideally the merchants accept bitcoin at the point of sale, but those kinds of changes are more radical.  When they see that there is a respectable volume using BTCs, and they have a chance to be the first to offer it (gives a competitive advantage), that's the type of persuasive argument that is needed

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 11:53:22 PM

Newegg ? as in ; maybe too big a target ?

What 100$ ?? I'd pledge 5k to Newegg,,,  u know those ATI cards ?
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2012, 01:15:18 AM

How bout expanding your operations to include more consumer items a la NewEgg? Granted you can't really compete on price but if things were within 5-10% I would certainly user your store.  I would commit to 500$+ in random gear (maybe hard drives, usb drives, memory, monitors, etc)

This is something I can do and can surely come within 10% of NewEgg's prices,  and likely much closer.

I will report back when I have an update.

MelMan2002

Activity: 461

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 01:21:18 AM

This is something I can do and can surely come within 10% of NewEgg's prices,  and likely much closer.

I will report back when I have an update.

Wow - just like that MD can become the new NewEgg?  Sweet!

19F6veduCZcudwXuWoVosjmzziQz4EhBPS
trentzb

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 02:10:31 AM

You know what I like about this idea/thread? It's backed by Roger Ver, somebody who already has an established presence on the web, thus offering an official voice, of sorts, to other online entities, raising further awareness to Bitcoin.

~Bruno~

Have you done business/trades with Roger? If so, and a success then great for you. I tried recently and it failed miserably. I recovered my funds fortunately, never thought Roger would keep them and he didn't, but the experience definitively turned my wife off to Bitcoin trades. Now I have to do it without her permission.

Roger has done much for the Bitcoin community and I applaud that, however MD needs some massaging with regard to how they treat customers...and not just for Bitcoin trades, I have pointed several California and US based educational institutions to buy fiber/other products from MD for years, they have reported satisfaction in most but not all transactions.

Keep up the Bitcoin support Roger, but massage Bitcoin physical trade TXs and customer experience a bit. I think it would prove itself on your bottom line.

MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2012, 03:08:11 AM

~Bruno~

Have you done business/trades with Roger? If so, and a success then great for you. I tried recently and it failed miserably. I recovered my funds fortunately, never thought Roger would keep them and he didn't, but the experience definitively turned my wife off to Bitcoin trades. Now I have to do it without her permission.

Roger has done much for the Bitcoin community and I applaud that, however MD needs some massaging with regard to how they treat customers...and not just for Bitcoin trades, I have pointed several California and US based educational institutions to buy fiber/other products from MD for years, they have reported satisfaction in most but not all transactions.

Keep up the Bitcoin support Roger, but massage Bitcoin physical trade TXs and customer experience a bit. I think it would prove itself on your bottom line.

Trent,
Thank you so much for your past referrals. 
From what I recall of your specific order, you were trying to buy Bitcoins from me via credit card.
The card and information you were using set off just about every red flag possible indicating credit card fraud.
I am not saying that I think you actually were trying to commit CC fraud,  but it didn't look safe enough from my end to justify the risk.
I don't think I even billed your CC,  so I never even had your money.
Unfortunately we have had to reject between 1/3 to 1/2 of our Bitcoin orders due to the high risk of fraud, 
but I am glad to say after selling tens of thousands of dollars worth of Bitcoins by CC and Paypal,  I have not had a single fraudulent order slip through. 
If anyone else is ever unhappy with an order,  they are welcome to contact me about it directly at any time.   
I will personally work to take care of any problem.
roger@memorydealers.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: