Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:36:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: predent you never head of bitcoin untill today, would you think its a scam?
yes - 14 (24.6%)
no - 29 (50.9%)
maybe - 14 (24.6%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Daily Speculation Poll] :: Is bitcoin a scam  (Read 1366 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 04:04:37 AM

Google "bitcoin"

you'll find tons of people calling it a scam!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:07:50 AM

Yep, did for a while. Didn't take Bitcoin seriously until I heard US Senators whining about Silk Road.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:13:58 AM

Depends on how far it is explained.  Some people can handle longer, more intricate explanations better than others.  The "others" here I would surmise would in general be more likely to regard Bitcoin as a scam.

As soon as I heard "decentralized", "limited supply", and that it was all controlled by cryptography across a distributed database on a P2P network, I understood it to be something that I need to devote a large part of my life to.
But when I explained it this way to some 60-year old (more or less) average people, they couldn't see how it could possibly be anything other than a scam.  Granted, one of those people continues to think the entire Internet is a scam...

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 04:19:21 AM

Depends on how far it is explained.  Some people can handle longer, more intricate explanations better than others.  The "others" here I would surmise would in general be more likely to regard Bitcoin as a scam.

As soon as I heard "decentralized", "limited supply", and that it was all controlled by cryptography across a distributed database on a P2P network, I understood it to be something that I need to devote a large part of my life to.
But when I explained it this way to some 60-year old (more or less) average people, they couldn't see how it could possibly be anything other than a scam.  Granted, one of those people continues to think the entire Internet is a scam...

but these days credible news sources are calling a scam,

do it man google "bitcoin"

you'll find a lot of bad news if you do any digging

this could easily fool even reasonably smart people into thinking its a scam or not worth while

naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:43:27 AM

a little bit scary chart, do not you think ??... http://www.google.com/insights/search/?hl=ru#q=bitcoin&date=1%2F2012%2012m&cmpt=date

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:56:46 AM

Depends on how far it is explained.  Some people can handle longer, more intricate explanations better than others.  The "others" here I would surmise would in general be more likely to regard Bitcoin as a scam.

But when I explained it this way to some 60-year old (more or less) average people, they couldn't see how it could possibly be anything other than a scam.  Granted, one of those people continues to think the entire Internet is a scam...

but these days credible news sources are calling a scam,

do it man google "bitcoin"

you'll find a lot of bad news if you do any digging

this could easily fool even reasonably smart people into thinking its a scam or not worth while

I think the threshold for "reasonably smart" is telescoping and increasing at a geometric rate, somewhat in proportion to the expansion of technology and the concept of intelligence building on intelligence.  A simple google search won't give as much accurate information as it once did.  New and innovative and exciting things and technologies will begin to appear faster than the general human populace can process it through their meat brains.  I can envision a future where the Web as we know it now becomes completely watered down, much like basic cable television nowadays, and the only access to real useful information will be via dark nets, via things such as (or based on) Tor, and this basic action of seeking out useful information might also be seriously regarded as terrorism or something like it.

If you have access to databases such as LexisNexis and ProQuest, you can find much more positive (and scholarly) information on Bitcoin.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 09:02:09 AM

Looks like bug to me.
mysteriousawake

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 09:32:05 AM

http://www.google.com/insights/search/?hl=en-US#q=bitcoin&date=9%2F2010%2019m&cmpt=date

how bout this one.

DONT FORGET TO DONATE IF I HELPED YOU
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:45:14 AM

Yea, looks like the interest is in mining, exchange and silk road. This is not a good sign for the economy, though the statistics might be misleading in that genuine trade searches might be too diverse to appear there.

In other news, I don't get any "scam" talk on the first page with Google/Yahoo/Bing. Links are either informative sites or positive news topics.

When I first heard about Bitcoin on Slashdot (early 2010), I was steered away from it because of all the deflation talk, because I didn't know better. Next time I read about it, I looked closer and got convinced.

People who call it a scam are being ridiculous, so I don't know why I would be inclined to pay attention. It would take a lot of convincing for me to seriously believe that an open and free platform is somehow a scam. In what way? I really haven't seen a good argument as of yet. Even if it were true, it is still a very convoluted assertion to make.
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:57:17 AM

hmmm .... Russian branch of the Robot Google has disabled the indexing query "bitcoin"? Strange .. And it coincided with the support bitcoin of this exchanger. He has a strong presence in Russia ..
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73947.0

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: