Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:49:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overclocking a GTX 260  (Read 5754 times)
TehZomB (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 10:42:48 PM

I know this might be more of a question for a tech forum but here goes anyway.

I only have a GTX 260, and am content mining with it. When I overclock it more, I can definitely squeeze more out than what I'm getting now (memory clock 1.1GHz), but it the temp shoots up so much I'm scared (I try to keep my GPU below 85º). What would you recommend for a better air cooler (I don't want to splurge on water cooling unless absolutely necessary).

Also, I've never increased the voltage to a graphics card before, and am not sure if I want to. Any tips for this?

Thanks
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jasonk

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 11:31:42 PM

Mining with an nVidia GPU is not very cost effective and may have NEGATIVE profits (if you pay for power yourself).

Also, I don't know about nVidia GPU's, but with ATI cards, memory clock does not matter and should be set as low as possible for the card to be stable.

the Core clock should be increased to speed up the number of Mhash/s.

With my 5830, decreasing the memory clock from 1000Mhz to ~300Mhz, dropped temps by 5-6C and dropped power consumption by 20-25W! Smiley
TehZomB (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 01:01:42 AM

Oh okay... I see what you mean.

I know that nVidia GPUs arent good for mining, but it's what I've got and I don't pay for power anyway, so its not like I have anything to lose.
I'll try messing with the core clock, thanks!
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 03:06:40 AM

I hope you explode

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
drcoin

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 10:30:35 AM

I have a Geforce 260 and a 560ti. If I remember correctly lowering the memory clock on the 260 lowered the hash rate. Lowering it on the 560 (from 2004 to 1000) doesn't affect the hash rate (I'm not sure about the affect on temp yet) but if I stop and restart my miner it will fail to reallocate CUDA memory and put set the card to idle speeds until the computer is restarted. I'm not sure yet if this is a driver problem or if the card really doesn't like such a low memory rate.

Regarding the temperature of the 260 - mine runs very cool - 54-60 degrees C uner 98% load compared to ~70-80 Degrees for an overclocked 5830 in the next slot. Perhaps the fan needs cleaning? Also, are you setting the fan speed manually? Try ~50-60% (or more if your ambient temp is high), this should lower the temp significantly compared to auto.
ILOVEFREEMONEY

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 02:53:32 PM

Me and all of my friends mine on MAXIUMUM OVERCLOCK nvidia card and on free electricity thanks to the OCN easy money making guide by reflex99.

You need to increase the memory clock as high as you can and you will see increase in being hashed.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 05:37:13 PM

This is an extremly ATi Biased statement:
Im confident that incresing your memory clock will not give you more Mhash/sec but instead heatup your card and draw more power.

Power=Free (for you)
Card=Free (you already own it)
The heat blowing out your case=Free (but unwanted)

I honestly think that if you intend to Mine coins, Sell your nVidia GPU and buy an ATi GPU, They are the KINGS of mining
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Like Damn dude a $200 5770 lays the fucking SMACK DOWN ona $600 GTX580
They both get avrg of 150Megahashes at stock, and i have a 5770 pushing 195Megahashes when it's oc'd

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
TehZomB (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:20:20 PM

Agreed, as far as Nvidia goes and I just tried this, both the Core and Memory clock affect the hashing speed. Both affect the temperature too, but I'm not paying for A/C or electricity.

As for my high temps, I just ordered a new fan, and I actually haven't cleaned my case in a long time, I should probably do that. I will once the new fan comes.

I won't sell my nvidia GPU - simply because it won't get enough now anyway to pay for even half of a good ATI card... though I'm not against saving up a few paychecks to make a dedicated mining rig with a great ATI card and bad (everything else).

Thanks for the tips.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: