Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:59:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google also gives result like DuckDuckGo  (Read 1850 times)
findftp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:44:27 PM

Just noticed that google also gives result on searching for a public key.
Last week they did not.

Probably because DuckDuckGo implemented this feature and google did not want to lose the first movers (I was about to make DuckDuckGo my default searchengine)

Google is not showing balance yet, but I think that's just a matter of time.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:09:56 PM

Last week they did not.

Probably because DuckDuckGo implemented this feature and google did not want to lose the first movers (I was about to make DuckDuckGo my default searchengine)

DDG is Google's biggest competitor, however they remain very small. Since DDG doesn't track you, supposedly, and lots of people want more privacy after Snowden's revelations, there is a huge potential for users. A lot of Bitcoin users also like privacy, and so DDG's tools allow for them to provide better information than what Google would, until Google repsonds by adding in their own tools to equal what DDG is going.

Google will always want to be as good and better as it's competitors, so expect them to do things like this. A lot about business is less about creativity and more about pseudo-copying your competitors.
MegaHustlr

Activity: 601
Merit: 500

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:41:52 PM

Google works if I put in a public key, it shows me the blockchain.info site with the address!

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█
  █           ▀▄      ▐█▀       ▀█           ▀▀
  █▄           ██     ██         ██▄
   █▀            ▀     ▀          ▀█▀

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄██▄▄                ▄▄██▄
  ████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████▌
█████▀                  ▀█████▌
████    ███▄      ▄███    ████▌
████   ▐████      ████▌   ████
 ███    ▀██▀      ▀██▀    ███▀
  ▀██▄                  ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████████████████▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
findftp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:43:40 PM

Google works if I put in a public key, it shows me the blockchain.info site with the address!
Yes, that is what I just said in my post. Thanks for confirming, now I know for sure the NSA was not playing games with me.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:47:19 AM

If your public key is posted on your profile it will also give your bitcointalk profile link as a search result. Google is always expanding the amount of information it can provide it's users and will likely continue to do so.

bounst

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:19:06 AM

couldnit believe  Shocked
darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:22:31 AM

Last week they did not.

DDG is Google's biggest competitor, however they remain very small. Since DDG doesn't track you, supposedly, and lots of people want more privacy after Snowden's revelations, there is a huge potential for users. A lot of Bitcoin users also like privacy, and so DDG's tools allow for them to provide better information than what Google would, until Google repsonds by adding in their own tools to equal what DDG is going.

Google will always want to be as good and better as it's competitors, so expect them to do things like this. A lot about business is less about creativity and more about pseudo-copying your competitors.

DuckDuckGo as Google's biggest competitor? Are you Joking....? DuckDuckGo has to be the Stupidest name I've ever heard.
webbrowser

Activity: 215

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:59:15 AM

I had not even heard of DuckDuckGo.

I doubt Google sees DDG as much of a competitor, or really cares if DDG implements a feature before them.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:08:39 AM

Last week they did not.

DuckDuckGo as Google's biggest competitor? Are you Joking....? DuckDuckGo has to be the Stupidest name I've ever heard.

Originally, DuckDuckGo was QuackQuackWent.  Roll Eyes <Good news, this domain is available>
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:58:35 PM

you can google a public key for moths or even years.  as long as it is posted on the internet somewhere it will show up as blockchain and etc.  an unpublished key that has not been indexed somewhere public will not show up even though it has a blockchain record.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 02:05:30 PM

Last week they did not.

Yes, smaller than 1% of Google's "power", but they're the next best search engine. In my opinion, DDG > Yahoo/Bing, since Yahoo and Bing just blatantly copy Google, and often they do it poorly. DDG nearly mimicks Google perfectly, with accurate searches and in the time period I'm looking for. They also don't track you, which is nice.

So DDG is Google's biggest competitor that actually brings something new to the game, as opposed to just copying Google.
LetsMakeItBTC

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 02:24:57 PM

What is a public key? im new  Embarrassed
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:55:32 PM

What is a public key? im new  Embarrassed

A Bitcoin public key is a wallet address starting with the number 1, i.e. https://blockchain.info/address/155rm2uws1YnkSrcJuBuBfWJ6kYUbhxNKw

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:57:49 PM

DuckDuckGoGo is my default search. They are not a better search engine, but they are less of a threat to my privacy. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 05:21:00 PM

DuckDuckGoGo is my default search. They are not a better search engine, but they are less of a threat to my privacy. 

A trend that more and more people are moving towards. Good to see.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 05:56:35 PM

Last week they did not.

Google has been showing the address since the start of bitcoin. DDG does have a nice feature though.. Balance, sent, received and a barcode.
jjc326

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:17:01 PM

I've been hearing a lot about duck duck go, that's funny then there's a thread on here about it.  I guess I'll check it out, I don't like the idea that google stores all my searching terms, that's a total invasion of privacy.
StevenS

Activity: 206

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 07:39:44 PM

Probably because DuckDuckGo implemented this feature and google did not want to lose the first movers
I'm not so sure. I think Google just happened to index blockchain sites, which have all public keys that ever had a balance.
rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 07:41:29 PM

I dont see anything strange in my google when I paste a public address.
DKMathias

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:28:09 PM

I dont really care if im using this search engine or googles
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: