Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:39:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoind vs Bitcoin-cli Command Line Functions  (Read 6503 times)
clone4501 (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:19:37 AM

What is the difference when using the command line functions between bitcoind and bitcoin-cli?

Do all the commands work on bitcoin-cli?

I would like to rescan the blockchain for any missing wallet transactions.  Can I use bitcoin-cli or should I use bitcoind?
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 07:09:08 AM

What is the difference when using the command line functions between bitcoind and bitcoin-cli?

Do all the commands work on bitcoin-cli?

I would like to rescan the blockchain for any missing wallet transactions.  Can I use bitcoin-cli or should I use bitcoind?

bitcoind used to be the command you'd use in the past. In the future you should use bitcoin-cli. They are equivalent and bitcoind only works now for backwards compatibility.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:12:26 PM

I have a shortcut for bitcoin-qt that sets my -datadir... so when I want to do a rescan I just open my shortcut and add "-rescan" to the end of the target (I'm using win7)

It does get annoying when I forget to remove -rescan and it takes 30 minutes to open up the GUI on occasion :p

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:14:43 PM

I have a shortcut for bitcoin-qt that sets my -datadir... so when I want to do a rescan I just open my shortcut and add "-rescan" to the end of the target (I'm using win7)

It does get annoying when I forget to remove -rescan and it takes 30 minutes to open up the GUI on occasion :p

Why don't you have two shortcuts then? Tongue
Justin00
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:19:46 PM

Lol yeah fair point...
I guess I don't really like clutter.. My desktop for e.g has literally 4 icons.. recycle bin, my computer, firefox and putty.
I don't think I have ever clicked any of them except for recycle bin.

clone4501 (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 05:01:59 PM

Sounds like a rescan takes about thirty minutes.

So from the command line on bitcoin-cli, would I enter, "bitcoin-qt rescan" or "bitcoin-qt -rescan"?

Many thanks!
Justin00
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:49:14 PM

hmm I had a look through the commands list and I can't see rescan anywhere. If you import a priv key it will recan, but can't see rescan by its self.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_calls_list

I might be wrong... but perhaps "-rescan" is only an option you can use when starting bitcoin.

If that is  the case you would start bitcoin with "bitcoin-qt -rescan" (or make a shortcut like I was talking about before)

clone4501 (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:12:03 AM

I found it here under the Wallet options subheading:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

Would this work on the command line as "bitcoin-qt -rescan"?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: