Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 03:21:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap, reliable computer to use for cold storage?  (Read 1863 times)
ropbat (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 03:20:46 AM

Anyone recommend a computer for cold storage it won't ever connect to the internet etc. I'm looking into the raspberry pi but am concerned about storage space.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:10:17 AM

I got an ASUS notebook on sale for 99$. Its worth it when you consider the value of the btc you are protecting. I dont really know anything about rasberry pi, but I understand they are quite economical.

Are you planning to use armory watch only client? If so you can find all the info you need here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=97.0
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:40:20 AM

I have a 'lights out' BTC Trezor (original condition) in mint condition, can I help you? Wink Don't get cheap on me.
Nikolai

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:05:07 AM

Trezor has issues, research it before you buy one.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:06:48 AM

Why do you need a computer for cold storage? You may use a dvd a usb stick or just a piece of paper.
BiTJack

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:29:27 AM

Well the cheapest you can get is raspberry pi only. Other like Trezors gona cost a lot more than that.
Mobius7

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:13:08 PM

Trezor has issues, research it before you buy one.

I haven't heard of the issues of Trezor and I am planning to get one.
Would you mind sharing the details?

MrBtcSenior

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:30:35 PM

An old laptop can do the work, it just have to run Linux on it.

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
alwinlinzee

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:31:35 PM

Cold storage is not really a cause for headaches its simply requires a USB or just write your info on your diary.

RedDiamond

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:34:52 PM

Cold storage is not really a cause for headaches its simply requires a USB or just write your info on your diary.

USB is not secure at all. Writing to paper is ok (assuming you do not make errors).
BigMac
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:44:31 PM

USB is not secure at all. Writing to paper is ok (assuming you do not make errors).

Instead of wring down the private key, it is IMO better to print it out.
Also, you can encrypt your paper wallet with BIP38.

oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:34:41 PM

A cheap notebook or even an old laptop that is still working and running linux will work for cold storage. You can purchase notebooks now fairly cheap if that is all you are looking to do with the notebook which would be ideal, ensure to shop around though for the cheapest places or even look into people who are selling for themselves.
KriszDev

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:35:17 PM

Raspberry Pi with 64GB sd card?
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:49:28 PM

Raspberry Pi with 64GB sd card?

Why do you need 64GB? You only need to store the wallet file (private keys) in your Ras Pi.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:52:26 PM

Raspberry Pi is cheapest option in most cases.  If you do use a old laptop just because I'm paranoid if it's your cold storage I would reinstall windows and add virus protection, etc. Then have it dedicated to just cold storage.
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:00:10 PM

Get a cheap notebook. Depending on your level of paranoia you might want to buy it off the shelf from a local store as technically an attacker could modify the hardware to do nasty things like steal your private keys. I picked up a really sweet notebook brand new for $200.

Open it up and remove the Wifi and bluetooth, simply disabling them in the OS or BIOS does nothing as malware can easily re-enable them, they need to be physically disabled or removed.

When you initially set it up add all the GPG keys you need so you can verify all the software you are installing hasn't been modified. Use USB sticks to transfer data back and forth. Do NOT execute any code at all that hasn't been GPG signed by a key that you trust. If you are running linux you can use apt-offline to do updates on your offline machine, although you should only install updates if you absolutely need to.

You may also want to set up your OS to ignore any devices other than USB sticks to prevent against your USB stick being reflashed with malware. Use the smallest USB stick you can buy to limit the amount of data that could be exfiltrated.

Also if you are using a custom OS like raspbian be careful, the RNG could have a bug in it. the Linux RNG uses information from your mouse, keyboard, hard drive and network to generate random numbers so depending on your setup it may not be as good especially if you are buying something ultra portable. On top of that the way the RNG works can vary depending on your distribution, freeBSD does not use any real-world source for entropy for example which could be devastating if a bug was ever found in Yarrow.

You might want to use real-world entropy to generate your wallet seed or private keys yourself, by flipping coins or using a deck of cards for example. There are threads on this forum with more information on how to do that. It will mitigate much of the risk associated with RNG's.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:30:46 AM

Buy a good quality USB.

Encrypt the USB

Install a linux distro ie lubuntu or arch if you're good at linux

Create 3 user accounts admin, secure, general

admin for updating linux

secure for generating cold wallets, and printing paper wallets
(disable internet and all forms of communication on the secure account)

general for everyday use, like sending and receiving bitcoin using blockchain.info

Clone the USB to your desktop computer, or external hdd, in case of theft or failure.

Note: only send bitcoin to cold wallets, after cloning usb or printing paper wallet.

I put that in bold Smiley I forgot to mention that point.  Have a second copy and make sure it works. 

If not you could lose it forever.  Both USB thumb drives and regular drives can go bad. 

Don't leave it in the open a safe spot/safe is a great thing.  Some good examples of hidden usb drives: http://www.instructables.com/howto/hidden+usb/ 
whysosweet

Activity: 40

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:39:34 AM

Buy an old used netbook from ebay, format it and install ubuntu, simple as that.
catena5260

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:01:43 AM

I would buy a new computer from a brand with no complaims about lots of failures(for example, HP is out of the list). You can buy the cheapest one you can find without problems.

I don't trust used computers for your purpose because you can never be sure what the previous owner did to the computer
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:39:08 AM

What is insecure about a USB? Obviously you shouldn't be backing up to a single USB drive (or a single piece of any media for that matter), but it's plenty secure for bitcoins.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: