Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:15:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-08-19] Expected Bitcoin Payment on eBay Is a Significant Step Toward Mass  (Read 1093 times)
erono (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 03:39:10 AM

http://moneymorning.com/2014/08/18/expected-bitcoin-payment-on-ebay-is-a-significant-step-toward-mass-adoption/

E-commerce giant eBay Inc.(Nasdaq: EBAY) is very close to offering Bitcoin payment as an option via its Braintree subsidiary - a high-profile move that will mark another milestone on the road to mass adoption of the digital currency.

Last week The Wall Street Journal said that according to "people familiar with the matter" officials from eBay's PayPal unit had been in talks with several Bitcoin payment companies, including Coinbase.

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
heartbit

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:49:45 AM

Braintree processes payments for Uber and AirBnB.

Not eBay (yet!) but it's a big step in the right direction!
Ludi

Activity: 274

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:19:44 PM

Braintree processes payments for Uber and AirBnB.

Not eBay (yet!) but it's a big step in the right direction!

This. They seem to have got confused or run with the headline that this means that ebay are likely to accept bitcoin when this is not the case, though I also think it's a step in the right direction. Maybe ebay are testing the waters with bitcoin at the moment to see how they like it. Ebay adopting it would be a massive step so I can understand their aprehension.

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

Come original.

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:25:41 PM

One of the reasons why I'm cynical about ebay accepting bitcoin is because it seems to me like a direct competitor to paypal. How will they implement it and how will they provide buyer protection? It just seems the opposite of what PP is about. Hope I'm wrong though.
Balls

Activity: 338

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:28:41 PM

One of the reasons why I'm cynical about ebay accepting bitcoin is because it seems to me like a direct competitor to paypal. How will they implement it and how will they provide buyer protection? It just seems the opposite of what PP is about. Hope I'm wrong though.

I could think of one way. They would just have to either create their own payment processor or escrow system like bitpay or whatever or integrate it into paypal somehow. Ie you pay for the item and the funds go into ebay/paypal's bitcoin escrow. Once the buyer has recieved the item the funds are released. If they don't get the goods the funds will probably get sent back. I'm sure they'd have to do something like thos rather than work with an external compant.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: