Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:08:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if someone starts another blockchain or cryptocurrency?  (Read 16560 times)
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 09:45:33 PM

They call things they don't like central planning. Whether whatever they are criticizing bears any relationship to central planning or not is not relevant. They don't like it and don't know exactly why. So it suffices to label it central planning.
You said:
IMO, cleverest way of handling initial distribution is to force miners to give away money to merchants who agree to accept the currency.
and
People don't volunteer to give away significant amounts. You need to compel them.
(emphasis added)
I fail to see why you object to this being called central planning.

They post self-contradictory statements such as the following:
You are in error, you made up the contradiction because you project your own frameworks onto others. You can't abandon your implicit assumptions.

Note that R&D, business strategy, and marketing would require some sort of centralized planning. There is a manager of a firm. She is the central authority.
Central planning does not mean any delegation of planning or the existence of hierarchical elements in planning, but that force is used to suppress markets.

(Use of female pronoun intended to piss off libertarian fundamentalist nutjob. Ignore button now in use.)
I prefer a point by point refutation myself and let my opponent discredit themselves by demonstrating rejection of logic.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 09:49:49 PM

It would have to be way better and it would have to be so different that Bitcoin could not be re-architected into it.

But I fail to see how BTC could not be easily modified to adapt to any new cryptocurrency technology.

Regardless, if it did happen, it would have to be VASTLY superior to overcome the network effect that BTC has. Think mp3 vs ogg for example - ogg is better, but mp3 is already everywhere, so the cost of transition is not worth the marginal benefit.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 01:54:00 AM

Gresham's law refers to government enforced exchange rates and does not apply. This is about deflationary expectations on a free floating market.

Good job. This quote from wikipedia is helpful at stating Gresham's Law accurately and in simple terms.

The Nobel prize-winner Robert Mundell believes that Gresham's Law could be more accurately rendered, taking care of the reverse, if it were expressed as, "Bad money drives out good if they exchange for the same price."[13]

Neither the US dollar nor bitcoin operates under a fixed exchange rate, so of course Gresham's law is not applicable.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:51:15 AM

Gresham's law refers to government enforced exchange rates and does not apply. This is about deflationary expectations on a free floating market.

Good job. This quote from wikipedia is helpful at stating Gresham's Law accurately and in simple terms.

The Nobel prize-winner Robert Mundell believes that Gresham's Law could be more accurately rendered, taking care of the reverse, if it were expressed as, "Bad money drives out good if they exchange for the same price."[13]

Neither the US dollar nor bitcoin operates under a fixed exchange rate, so of course Gresham's law is not applicable.

The law works in other circumstances too.

For example, I have next to me a $5 coin and a $5 bill.  Both are real, official, legal "money" of recent issue, blessed by the U.S. Government and either one could be traded for stamps at the post office or used to pay my taxes.  One is paper, and the other is gold.  In this country, the bad money drove out the good money, a process that started about 100 years ago, and was more or less completed by 1965.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:56:03 AM

"Bad money drives out good if they exchange for the same price."[13]

For example, I have next to me a $5 coin and a $5 bill.  Both are real, official, legal "money" of recent issue, blessed by the U.S. Government and either one could be traded for stamps at the post office or used to pay my taxes.  One is paper, and the other is gold.  In this country, the bad money drove out the good money, a process that started about 100 years ago, and was more or less completed by 1965.

Sorry, you fail your test. If you whine and suck up to me, I may consider partial credit.

Same circumstance. Fixed Exchange Rate. Exchange rate between $5 coin and $5 bill is fixed by law.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 09:00:30 AM

Even disregarding the 'who', why would someone stake anything in the second copy of the same thing? Obviously a third is coming along to screw you.
This is very true for the "store of value" function. For the "medium of exchange" function, the network effect is a strong driver and will add to the "first mover advantage" of bitcoin.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 12:47:43 PM

Sorry, you fail your test. If you whine and suck up to me, I may consider partial credit.

Same circumstance. Fixed Exchange Rate. Exchange rate between $5 coin and $5 bill is fixed by law.

If the exchange rate was fixed by law, I'd have hundreds of those gold coins.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 12:54:40 PM

For example, I have next to me a $5 coin and a $5 bill.  Both are real, official, legal "money" of recent issue, blessed by the U.S. Government and either one could be traded for stamps at the post office or used to pay my taxes.  One is paper, and the other is gold.  In this country, the bad money drove out the good money, a process that started about 100 years ago, and was more or less completed by 1965.

If the exchange rate was fixed by law, I'd have hundreds of those gold coins.

Ignore button. As I apply this more and more, the forum improves!
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 01:38:45 PM

Ignore button. As I apply this more and more, the forum improves!
Wow it sure does! Now I can ignore all your bullshit about turning Bitcoin into Shitcoin, and the forum is now a marginally quieter place.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: