Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:55:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What have you been doing with your Bitcoin in light of the price drop?  (Read 3869 times)
Emperion (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:04:23 PM

The recent price drop has left many people worried. The crash has been attributed to a report by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, margin trading on major exchanges, and a flash crash on BTC-e. All of these factors and potentially more have been negatively impacting Bitcoin’s price over the past week.

So I ask, With the heavy turmoil in the market, what have you been doing with your Bitcoin holdings?

Go to The Cryptocoin Chronicle to complete the poll: http://cryptocoinchronicle.com/2014/08/bitcoin-recent-price-drop/

I will be doing a write up in the next few days based on the results of the poll and discuss any changes to the market from the time of this post.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:07:33 PM

Buying and spending. Just like when the price is up.  Wink
When it's down I do a little more buying than spending. When the price rises I do a bit more spending. Basically everything I buy, I buy at a discount.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
raganius

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:23:19 PM

Buying and spending. Just like when the price is up.  Wink
When it's down I do a little more buying than spending. When the price rises I do a bit more spending. Basically everything I buy, I buy at a discount.

That's a great strategy. As I still have only a few BTCs, I have been basically buying it during these days. I guess I am in an "accumutation phase" now. Smiley

For sure, when the price rises to better levels I'll start spending just like you've said you do. Hopefully, by then, more merchants will be accepting BTCs.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:44:36 PM

So I ask, With the heavy turmoil in the market, what have you been doing with your Bitcoin holdings?

I just came across some very exiting technical analysis which gave me very much courage to buy the falling knife.
With success I can say. I just missed the sharp point of the knife  Wink
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:04:49 PM

My miner doesn't generate enough BTC to matter what happens to the price.  It's dismaying to see the price drop, but it doesn't hurt me in the long run.  It's the investors who are worried... generally not the miners, unless they are upside-down on that as well.

If it rallies, then my meager mined coin will be worth more.  If not, then it was a fun experiment, and I learned a lot.
TheAccountant

Activity: 44

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:10:26 PM

I've been buying more.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:17:29 PM

I'm only holding a very small portion of BTC (0.2 BTC) at present, while my money is sitting in an exchange with speculative buy orders. Regrettably I had no orders in the $ market to capitalise on the flash crash - that would have been a tasty win.

If I were holding any serious coinage then I would have considered attempting a short, though catching the knife would have been hard.

I'm yet to spend any bitcoins on real-world goods, though I hope that one day soon I will do just that Smiley

galbros
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:25:16 PM

I've been holding and thinking about buying more.  While I would prefer the price to go up rather than down I don't view the recent price action as too disconcerting.  The "flash crash" is just a function of so many bitcoin markets being very thin.  It does not take a lot of money to move the market either way.  So I agree with Cryptopher, some highly out of the money speculative buy orders could be a great hit.
findftp
Legendary

Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:30:32 PM

I'm only holding a very small portion of BTC (0.2 BTC) at present<snip>
Although the price plummeted, I feel you are like a dare devil!
Good luck.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:39:10 PM

I bought $200 cad worth, but a few days ago.
rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:47:24 PM

Buying more bitcoins for a cheap price.
BPMich

Activity: 11

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 09:50:18 PM

What have I done? Absolutely nothing different. Why? I see the big picture.
CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:54:25 PM

What have I done? Absolutely nothing different. Why? I see the big picture.

None of your damn business! If you are interested go check the blockchain... Dont ask us...
stckpkr7000

Activity: 26

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:14:23 PM

Bought more........ Will continue to do so on any future price weakness as well......
silversmith

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:25:19 PM

Buying more!
commandrix

Activity: 798

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:35:02 PM

Basically business as usual -- namely, doing some light trading on Mintpal and also posting articles on Banks Worst Fear.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:35:48 PM

I've been counting my bitcoin.

There will come a day when we will not think of how much bitcoin is worth, we will just count how much bitcoin we have. Very much how we do not think of what the dollar is worth, but how much we have.
MÖGUL™

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:36:43 PM

Buy Hold and Trade a lil.

BTC The Future
TheGull

Activity: 33

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 10:44:04 PM

Quote from: puwaha
My miner doesn't generate enough BTC to matter what happens to the price.  It's dismaying to see the price drop, but it doesn't hurt me in the long run.  It's the investors who are worried... generally not the miners, unless they are upside-down on that as well.

If it rallies, then my meager mined coin will be worth more.  If not, then it was a fun experiment, and I learned a lot.

This seems to be a fairly common point from miners. What I don't understand is this: if you need the price to rally for your mining to be profitable, aren't you just better off buying bitcoin? Much less hassle plus you can liquidate whenever you want, unlike your mining equipment which probably has very little resale value given how rapidly the technology is improving.

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:46:18 PM

I haven't been doing anything. BTC suffers enough from too many people overreacting to every little value change.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: