Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:28:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum not opening, lost seed. Help needed ***Reward***  (Read 7808 times)
Eskimo (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:17:09 PM

The wallet file is not empty and you still have the blockchain_headers and config files. Delete blockchain_headers and config files and run electrum. If it still doesn't start up then open up the default_wallet file in notepad and see if you can see the seed that dabura667 was talking about before. Notepad is a text editor while wordpad is a word processor. I think you'll have better luck with notepad.

I wasn't clear, I deleted those files  and tried to run electrum. It didn't work then I moved them back to try something else. I've opened the deafault_wallet with Notepad (not wordpad) as suggested twice now and it comes up empty.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RoxxR

Activity: 208
Merit: 148

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:21:31 PM

The wallet file is not empty and you still have the blockchain_headers and config files. Delete blockchain_headers and config files and run electrum. If it still doesn't start up then open up the default_wallet file in notepad and see if you can see the seed that dabura667 was talking about before. Notepad is a text editor while wordpad is a word processor. I think you'll have better luck with notepad.

I wasn't clear, I deleted those files  and tried to run electrum. It didn't work then I moved them back to try something else. I've opened the deafault_wallet with Notepad (not wordpad) as suggested twice now and it comes up empty.

What's the size (in bytes) of this default_wallet?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:49:30 PM

According to the screenshot you posted the default_wallet file is over 100KB in size. So how can it be empty?
Eskimo (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:13:01 PM

According to the screenshot you posted the default_wallet file is over 100KB in size. So how can it be empty?

I have no idea, just that when I open the default_wallet file in Notepad no text appears. Am I missing something?
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 08:41:21 AM

Just to be sure download a code editor like Sublime text and use that to open the file. Do you have an encrypted seed?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
Eskimo (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:51:20 AM

Just to be sure download a code editor like Sublime text and use that to open the file. Do you have an encrypted seed?

No I lost the seed and this is what I get when I open the default wallet file in sublime text - http://postimg.org/image/sdrt1c keh/.
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 10:46:29 AM

wow...

over 100kb of 0x00 bytes.

Either this is a troll, or someone made an elaborate virus that steals bitcoins and then writes over the file with 0x00 bytes...

Yeah... that file will not restore anything.

I'm sorry, but unless you have the file with the actual data in it, or can somehow recover it by other methods... (Windows Restore?... I don't think that would restore it, but you could try.)

It would seem like your bitcoins are gone.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:25:21 PM

sorry for your loss.

Again, the lesson is: cold storage.

fuckthesystem

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:12:01 PM

I've talked earlier to Eskimo via private messages because there was a restriction for me as a new user to reply here, but now I am able to publish it here, which I think would be appropriate:

One of the screenshots shows 18/08/2014 18:53 as "Date modified" and you said that it has stopped working as of the 19th. Do you happen to remember when was the last time it was working (perhaps until, or after 18:53 on the 18th)?

You said that you tried to use system restore unsuccessfully. Could you be more detailed? Did you have a restore point from a date and time when you are certain that this Electrum wallet worked? Did you attempt restoring and did the restore process finish with no errors? Did you then try to open the wallet file in Notepad to see its contents, or did you give up after only trying to start Electrum? I think that if you still have a restore point from a date and time when the wallet was undamaged (old restore points get deleted automatically!) the undamaged wallet file should be there. It might well turn out that you have multiple older versions of it from dates before the 18th sitting on your disk.

Finally, there is file recovery software that can be used to look for and recover older versions of the file in its normal location or deleted copies of it (e.g. from restore points that have been automatically deleted). It should also be possible to search the entire disk at a lower level for a specific string of characters, e.g.:
'seed': '
which is what should precede the seed in an Electrum wallet file. This would have an even higher chance of success. Be aware that the more data gets written to the disk (which happens during normal use) the greater the chance that data from deleted files gets overwritten and thus the lower the chance of successful recovery. If you want to maximize the chance of successful recovery you might want to make an image of the whole disk or partition now for later use for data recovery purposes.

Eskimo told me in response (in part):
when I used the restore to an older date on the control panel in windows it asked me when I wanted to restore and I clicked on a week earlier (one of the options it gave me) and I believe at that point the wallet hadn't been working.
I don't really remember exactly when it stopped working but the 18th sounds right. It worked in the morning and in the afternoon it wouldn't open.
and also asked about data recovery.

To that I replied with the advice that the chance of success can be maximized with the help of someone with good experience and tools for data recovery who would need to have access to the physical disk or computer to do their thing. I also proposed a plan that is somewhat less ideal but perhaps simple enough to try on one's own for searching for and recovering a deleted file or a string pattern. I mentioned the fact that files in restore points are stored with compression (on NTFS partitions) which complicates searching for string patterns.
I also mentioned the Previous Versions feature in Windows 7 (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/85679-previous-versions-restore-files-folders.html) which relies on restore points, but should in theory be better suited to finding out definitively whether there is an older version of a file in an existing (not deleted) restore point or not, compared to reverting the whole system using System Restore.
I did not receive a reply to this message so I was wondering what has happened regarding the wallet.

Now more questions come to mind that I didn't think to ask earlier, but which might just lead to a breakthrough. When you first created the wallet in Electrum, in the first step it shows you the seed in the form of 12 words. It asks you to write them down somewhere and you have to have done that or copied them or memorized them, because in the very next step it asks you to enter them again, just to verify that you've completed the previous step. How did you complete these steps and is there any chance that you have those 12 words written or stored somewhere?
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:29:16 AM

Electrum stores the seed and the rest of the wallet data in the same file. It's not a good idea because the file is written over with new transaction data and there is risk of losing the entire file in case of a crash.
Better would be to keep the seed in a read only file and application state in a writable one.

sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 280

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 11:27:50 AM

It seems to me now, wallets should be directories.  The directory should have a read only seed file and another file that contains data that changes which are related to that seed.

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
Bigblind102

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 07:38:14 PM

1. Copy the default_wallet file to a safe place while you do this, just in case you mess something up.

2. Open default_wallet with Wordpad. (Not Notepad)

3. Search for the word "seed" and tell me if you see something like this:

Code:
'seed': 'hGt+sQGFlt7Dhgb3a1kHetNJmlxrMQrZ3D8mheYgVr79ZEGOZK1btAzv44QMwGQ2K+1a/1ct10abxrX56OtvFA==',

If you see this, then your bitcoins are safe. This is your seed encrypted using AES with your password.

Tell me if you found this. I can help you recover your bitcoins if you have this.

Nothing appears, just an empty document. Take it the btc are not recoverable?

Ive got exactly the same problem like OP...
But i found that line in my default Wallet...

I even wrote Abdu an PM... i hope someone can help to recover my founds,
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 09:19:38 PM

These instructions are for 1.9.8.

If you know the password and have the encrypted seed you can recover your wallet as follows:

You haven't told us your operating system. Find the electrum folder and rename it to something else. Location of the folder:

https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Where_is_my_wallet_file_located.3F

Now when you run electrum it will try to create a new wallet. Just go through the motions to create a wallet.

With electrum running go to the console tab and enter the following:

Code:
from electrum.wallet import pw_decode
pw_decode(  '<yourseed>', '<yourpassword>' )

Replace <yourseed> with the encrypted seed (don't include "Seed:" ) and <yourpassword> with your password.

It should output 32 hex digits which is your seed decrypted. Now create a new wallet file to house your restored wallet:

- File menu > new/restore. Pick a directory and enter a file name for the new wallet file and then click save. It will then show the usual wallet creation/restore "wizard".

- Select to restore a wallet and paste in your 32 hex digit seed.

- In future to open this wallet file use file > open.

If you are on Linux you don't have to use the electrum console. You can use python directly from the command line. I'm not sure whether electrum on other OS installs python. Does it?
Bigblind102

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 05:40:54 AM

Hey so much thx for help.
I allready delete the Blockchainh header and the config .file and its running again Cheesy

I havent got any conection now, but i think that is a problem from Electrum,isnit?
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:22:18 AM

Code:
from electrum.wallet import pw_decode
pw_decode(  '<yourseed>', '<yourpassword>' )

After doing this, remember to delete the command history from your electrum config file.

On Windows:

Go to C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Electrum and open up "config" file with a text editor.

Search for "pw_decode(" without quotes and you should find something that looks like the below...

Code:
...", u"pw_decode('<yourseed>', '<yourpassword>')", u"...

Delete that from your config file so that the commands before and after are properly serapated by commas.

In the above example you want to delete the following:

Code:
, u"pw_decode('<yourseed>', '<yourpassword>')"

Which will leave you with
Code:
...", u"...

the ... are the commands you performed before and after.

Then after you deleted, save the file.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
Bigblind102

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:04:12 AM

Anybody else have conection ?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: