Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:01:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ebay chargebacks  (Read 2352 times)
solitude (OP)

Activity: 674
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 11:15:00 PM

How often do chargebacks occur on mining hardware?  People claiming either they didn't receive or it wasn't described properly.

Ebay always takes the buyers side so how risky is selling your shit on ebay?

Hardly anyone speaks English on this forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 11:24:13 PM

Never had a chargeback or any issues,just select "No Returns" when listing your auction  Wink

I've sold all my miners (about 20 BTC & 8 altcoin ASICs) on ebay & the only issue I've had is folks not communicating after the auction ends & not sending payment.
Then I open a non paying bidder/cancelation of auction case to get the fee's removed.I ask that no feedback be left & I leave no feedback for them.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/

Just check this box: The buyer and I agree to cancel a transaction.State in the comment box,No communication,No payment received.

After 7 business days you close the case & your fees are removed  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
whonesta

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:29:07 AM

How often do chargebacks occur on mining hardware?  People claiming either they didn't receive or it wasn't described properly.

Ebay always takes the buyers side so how risky is selling your shit on ebay?

I have 3 x S1's coming back to me now, forcibly mind you. Auction was listed as NO RETURNS, NO REFUNDS..  ebay stated "that is your policy, not ours" so after "fucktard" ran my miners for 28 days files claim that item not as described and ebay issued RMA and WILL NOT refund me fees unless I accept terms and issue refund.

I respond SUCK MY ....

ebay recently change from buyer protection to 30 day money back guarantee, DO NOT SELL ON EBAY. YOU WILL GET SCAMMED.

This was 3rd such event since S3-B1 deliveries.
miter_myles

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:36:31 AM

Yeah.. ebay always leans towards the "buyer" with all their "buyer protection rah rah"...

Back in May I sold off the last of my Radeon 290s... three weeks later the buyer files a dispute.. but the dumbass admitted to modifying the cards and even said the warranty is more than likely voided... tried to put aftermarket coolers on them and probably fucked shit up, then said they were defective/too hot from factory and wanted a full refund.. He even went full retard and admitted his setup could be to blame as well...

Still took eBay 30 days to rule in my favor and tell him to stfu

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
whonesta

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 01:57:55 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 04:55:23 AM by whonesta

Yeah.. ebay always leans towards the "buyer" with all their "buyer protection rah rah"...

Back in May I sold off the last of my Radeon 290s... three weeks later the buyer files a dispute.. but the dumbass admitted to modifying the cards and even said the warranty is more than likely voided... tried to put aftermarket coolers on them and probably fucked shit up, then said they were defective/too hot from factory and wanted a full refund.. He even went full retard and admitted his setup could be to blame as well...

Still took eBay 30 days to rule in my favor and tell him to stfu

Lucky you, this latest numb-skull stated in ebays messaging that he tried to troubleshoot, removed blades, etc. this was his excuse for why it took 28 days to claim miner did not function. he admitted to earning 150+ in BTC, but ebay says he did not violate their clearly stated "buyer must return items in the condition the were received" and in fact IF he sends me back empty boxes... "too bad, we will force a refund" I was floored to hear this from a very public company. ebay does not give 2 shits about the seller, they are planning to replace sellers with wholesale distributors and make a run at amazon. I for one will never use ebay again and pray they fall flat on their face.
miter_myles

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:54:06 AM

That blows.. I sold 8 S1s thinking I would get a couple back due to abusive buyers.. but am in the clear.. whew...

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
bitcoinbearhk

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:05:49 AM

I sold 11 butterfly labs...

10 OK no problem
1 (and the highest priced one) ... buyer first asked for tracking, then after I provided tracking, he claimed broken ware....

and of course when he returned the machine, it was broken ... apparently intentionally, with screws unscrewed and shit ....

So I would say, you will have a 10% chance of selling to a scammer .....
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 03:20:01 AM

I've sold lots of miners on ebay, no chargebacks. I did get one return as one was damaged, but it was legit. Where you get the highest amount of fraud is on selling BTC itself on ebay through paypal.
zulover

Activity: 583

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:54:38 AM

Yes ebay can be a bummer they l Iove the buyer and have their own policies even if you have no returns listed it doesn't cover you the way you think.with brown goods best way is to file a claim with the courier if within time limit but even they won't want to give your full money, I sold coincraft shitmine for 1400 buyer return it broken so poor a claim got 700 back only but the machine still hashes so some benefit.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:14:57 AM

I have been a EBay seller since 1997 and this has always been a problem but has gotten worst as more people find out how to play the system. I sold a lot of USB miners and then my BFL singles. Always holding my breath but I did put on my auction that buyers needed to have at least 10 positive feedback and canceled a couple winner bids because buyers did not have it. But anymore since a seller can not leave negative feedback to a buyer the whole feedback system sucks. There are ways to protect yourself as a seller and one way is never have your bank account linked to PayPal or EBay. Get a very low credit limit Credit Card or I use my Discover Card and have had Discover stop unwarranted charges. So I pull my money from PayPal as fast as I can and leave no money in the account. The only way they can force my refund is thru my Discover and you can stop a charge back. I used the no refund on the auction and this was always going to be my way out with Discover and they will fight PayPal for you.

Edit: also always ship USPS that way the buyer has committed mail fraud and if you really get pissed you can file a complaint with the postal inspector , just file using the buyer and EBay. That is what needs to happen to put a stop to this!
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:12:00 PM

I've been selling on Ebay for several years, but the last 6 months have been triple in claims than the previous year. Like most say, the claim is "not as described".  I've got 2 dragons supposedly showing back up tomorrow from someone playing the system down in FL.  I just put Ebay on notice that the tracking weight is only half of what it should be.

In just the last few months I've actually had someone send me back a burned out AM blade as if it was an S-1.  Ebay gave them full credit for the S-1.  Even though I've got over 400 rating with Ebay, I'm done with them.  Just wrapping up my transactions with them.  Their new terms of agreement are even worse for sellers.
whonesta

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:29:34 PM

I've been selling on Ebay for several years, but the last 6 months have been triple in claims than the previous year. Like most say, the claim is "not as described".  I've got 2 dragons supposedly showing back up tomorrow from someone playing the system down in FL.  I just put Ebay on notice that the tracking weight is only half of what it should be.

In just the last few months I've actually had someone send me back a burned out AM blade as if it was an S-1.  Ebay gave them full credit for the S-1.  Even though I've got over 400 rating with Ebay, I'm done with them.  Just wrapping up my transactions with them.  Their new terms of agreement are even worse for sellers.

+1

David G. with ebay CS-Resolution center, the "one" who decides my claim has deleted/damaged the message log within their resolution system to hide the fact that the "buyer/scammer" admits to using and discounting/troubleshooting S1 and he still found in their favor, why?? maybe he is in on the scam? anyone else deal with David G. at ebay CS?
zulover

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:34:12 PM

if teir 13.4% tax was  less itd be more worthwhile to sell, even with these problems, a 5% charge including paypal would be much better, they make nearly 50quid ona 380 s3 sale, im sure they can take a lesser cut.
whonesta

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:52:55 PM

I am giving them a 100% cut, I will just melt the equip for raw materials selling to beginners/competition seemed like the way to distribute network. But with thieving POS (megafarm manufacturers) and now ebay reaching cesspool levels.... overclock the dog-piss out of them, underclock milk them dry, and then melt them!
warhawk187

Activity: 327

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:25:06 PM

The problem isn't just limited to eBay either, I sold a 1Th/s miner to someone who clearly had no idea what they were doing, claimed first that the PSU was malfunctioning (which was a lie, it was a brand new Seasonic 1250W), then claimed the controller card was broken (also not true), and then wouldn't respond to my very detailed support emails, and then Amazon ended up clearing the return on a used item which was sold 'as is' and this happened over the course of two months. Now a miner that was worth 2k usd, is now worth less than half that now and Amazon is trying to go after me for the full amount even though I have photographic evidence that the buyer opened it up, lost one of the screws, replaced it with a completely different one, and then shipped back a completely different (and used) Ethernet cord several days later.

When he asked how does it plug into the USB port, I knew this was gonna be a problem. The jerk had the balls to leave a bad review saying I knew 'nothing about what I was selling' even though I have been mining for years.

Long story short, its a gamble because eBay/Amazon almost always side with the buyer, even if you can prove you are in the right. I had 10+ successful sales on eBay, but as the scams increase, and the reliability of the hardware decreases, its a recipe for disaster and eBay/Amazon get their 15% cut either way, or more if the customer claims 'item not as described'.

Link a bank account with low, or no overdraft, and use a very low limit credit card, otherwise they will try to charge you the full amount. Oh and good luck trying to make another account, they have many measures in place to figure that out quickly just because some idiot got away with scamming you and their archaic feedback system.

BFL, and others continue to scam without any fucks given, but the smaller resellers are the ones who always get screwed selling increasingly obsolete hardware.

Good luck out there.

Anddos

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 06:13:58 PM

Theres nothing safe with ebay selling, put in youtube ebay scammed for example, many accounts of items being used or modified and sent back, very dodgey system

zulover

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:39:25 AM

If someone coyld do a piggyback site off ebay but with lower charges and different rules but still use the ratings for the users from ebay, so sell on the bay but payout at the second site with an escrow like here tthat would be something...
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 12:20:46 PM

I have been a EBay seller since 1997 and this has always been a problem but has gotten worst as more people find out how to play the system. I sold a lot of USB miners and then my BFL singles. Always holding my breath but I did put on my auction that buyers needed to have at least 10 positive feedback and canceled a couple winner bids because buyers did not have it. But anymore since a seller can not leave negative feedback to a buyer the whole feedback system sucks. There are ways to protect yourself as a seller and one way is never have your bank account linked to PayPal or EBay. Get a very low credit limit Credit Card or I use my Discover Card and have had Discover stop unwarranted charges. So I pull my money from PayPal as fast as I can and leave no money in the account. The only way they can force my refund is thru my Discover and you can stop a charge back. I used the no refund on the auction and this was always going to be my way out with Discover and they will fight PayPal for you.

Edit: also always ship USPS that way the buyer has committed mail fraud and if you really get pissed you can file a complaint with the postal inspector , just file using the buyer and EBay. That is what needs to happen to put a stop to this!

I did that same as you but eBay will actually send you to collections very quickly if they can't collect from your credit card.  I filed a complaint with CA State AG and hired a lawyer to sue them for dereliction of duty.  I ended up getting the collection removed and it cost me about 80 hours of time, but I probably cost eBay/Paypal well over $30K in legal fees.

I haven't sold anything on eBay in ages.  If I ever come to the point where I think I want to sell somethingon eBay I just donate it to a charity  Undecided
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:28:24 PM

We ran into an issue selling mining equipment where the buyer admitted to fully receiving and owning what we were selling, but ebay still sided with the buyer and issued him a full refund.

My only advise: If you're doing anything remotely related to Bitcoin, stay away from eBay and PayPal.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:08:57 AM

I sold hundreds of small USB miners and never had a problem with even one.

Then I tried selling some Avalons, and out of 6 sold, 2 came back.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: