Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 10:30:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, how the hell does this all work?  (Read 2378 times)
VexusMalius (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 11:30:50 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 12:14:22 AM by VexusMalius

I've discovered that basic explanations and walk throughs are NOWHERE to be found on the internet. At all. Rule 34 need not apply. So here's my trouble.

The only thing I can get running is minerd, and every time I want to run it, I have to type out the commands in the cmd window. Great. Batch file? Nope! Wont run. Why? I have no fucking idea. I'm not a computer guy. Can I get a bit of help here, Google? No? Well thanks. Fuck you too.  Angry

Maybe CGminer will be easier. URL. How the hell do I type that out? Http? Stratum +tcp? Do I include the port? Username. Do I have to just put the username and not my worker name? Is it user.worker? Password. Which one? My login or my worker? I'm guessing worker. No fucking clue really though. Either way it didn't work. Same with BFGminer.

Also, I'm trying to get an antminer to run. No idea, and the "tutorials" have been less than helpful. It was toted as "plug and play", and that's a load of crap too. How the hell do I use this thing.

Tl,DR, I'm new to crypto and I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, and I could use some help from you guys.

EDit: managed to get the antminer running after guessing a bunch of times. Now how do I know it's actually mining coins?
Arctic

Activity: 89

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:01:04 AM

you need to point it at an appropriate pool and then you should see small payments being made into your wallet whenever the pool pays out.  you have set up a wallet right?

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted.
VexusMalius (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 01:04:51 PM

Wallet is set up. Getting nothing but rejections. I'm using CGminer, and attempted to make a basic Conf file (I copy pasted off of someone) so that it would run scrypt, but I'm still not getting anything.

This is what I have in the conf file. I do have my user/worker/pass info in there.

{
"pools" : [
   {
      "url" : "http://dot.pools.triplehexxx.net:3333",
      "user" : "username.worker",
      "pass" : "password"
   }
],
"intensity" : "13",
"scrypt" : true,
"kernel-path" : "scrypt"

}
VexusMalius (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:55:18 PM

I have CGminer running right now, and the info bar at the top says this

(5s):1.500G    (1m):1.383G    (5m):550.5M    (15m):234.4M    (ave):1.593Gh/s
A:0    R:92   WU:21.8/m
Connected to dot.pools.triplehexxx.net diff 8 with stratum as user (username.)
Block: (block number)    Diff:0     Started: (time)  Best share: 126

Every other screenshot of CGminer has the "Diff:" as some higher value than 0. How do I change this? I'm almost certain that's why I'm getting nothing but rejections.

All the rejections say "rejected (block) diff (number)/8 BLOCK! ANU 0 <share is above target>" I don't know how to change the target or anything. I don't know code, or java, or anything of that nature, so I literally need someone to type it out and show me how to set it up. Come on guys, don't fail me.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 04:14:38 PM

Perhaps you might be willing to share a bit more detail?  Thus far you've successfully ranted and raved about how you know nothing about computers and can find absolutely no instructions anywhere on how to do anything.  Hopefully that's out of your system and you can start discussing some things rationally Smiley

1) What hardware are you using to mine?
2) What coins are you trying to mine?

I see you mention scrypt a few times.  If you're looking to mine alt coins (i.e. not Bitcoin), you're in the wrong forum.  If you're trying to mine Bitcoin, you're using the wrong algorithm (Bitcoin is SHA-256, not scrypt).

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
VexusMalius (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:37:41 PM

Thanks for the reply jonny. I've just been pulling my hair out trying to get it figured out lol.

Looking to mine smaller altcoins as Bit and Lite are way out of my league, and this actually got moved here by a mod (was originally in a altcoin forum). I just picked up an Antminer U2 and am using CGminer. I can run minerd successfully, but 11 or 12 kh/s isn't exactly blazing speed lol.

Win 7 64 bit. HP Touchsmart 600 with an Intel HD graphics card. Intel i3 2.4 GHz processor. Not exactly top of the line.

My .bat files suddenly decided to start working this morning. Don't know what changed Huh, but I'm running with it.

What I've done so far is install the appropriate driver for the antminer using zadig. I'm using version 4.5.0 of CGminer, and it runs, but I get nothing but rejections, and I have no clue how to fix that, and I can't find any help online to solve the problem.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 06:16:14 PM

Thanks for the reply jonny. I've just been pulling my hair out trying to get it figured out lol.

Looking to mine smaller altcoins as Bit and Lite are way out of my league, and this actually got moved here by a mod (was originally in a altcoin forum). I just picked up an Antminer U2 and am using CGminer. I can run minerd successfully, but 11 or 12 kh/s isn't exactly blazing speed lol.

Win 7 64 bit. HP Touchsmart 600 with an Intel HD graphics card. Intel i3 2.4 GHz processor. Not exactly top of the line.

My .bat files suddenly decided to start working this morning. Don't know what changed Huh, but I'm running with it.

What I've done so far is install the appropriate driver for the antminer using zadig. I'm using version 4.5.0 of CGminer, and it runs, but I get nothing but rejections, and I have no clue how to fix that, and I can't find any help online to solve the problem.
Ahhh... your U2 will ONLY mine SHA-256 coins (Bitcoin, Namecoin, MazaCoin, etc).  It will not work at all on Litecoin, Darkcoin, Dogecoin, etc because the hashing algorithms are completely different.

I actually run U2s at home connected to a Raspberry Pi.  Every now and then I'll mine some alt coin, but typically they're "playing the lottery."  In other words, I've got them solo mining Bitcoin hoping to get lucky and solve the block and get all 25BTC for it.  I do it because the total power usage is negligible, and they were one of the first hardware purchases I ever made Smiley

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
VexusMalius (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:12:21 PM

Weird. All the forums I've looked at have said that it will mine scrypt coins if you type up a basic conf file (I copy pasted mine) setting it to use scrypt. Apparently it's supposed to be supported. All the litecoin miners have been using farms of them.

edit: go see my second or third post above
Arctic

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:23:42 PM

will not work on scrypt.   2G/Hs isn't going to generate much of anything these days but worth playing with to learn.

run it on SHA.  point it at a decent pool and make about 60cents a month..

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 08:12:20 PM

Weird. All the forums I've looked at have said that it will mine scrypt coins if you type up a basic conf file (I copy pasted mine) setting it to use scrypt. Apparently it's supposed to be supported. All the litecoin miners have been using farms of them.

edit: go see my second or third post above
You absolutely, positively, without a doubt CANNOT use an Antminer U2 to mine scrypt coins.  Period.  The Antminer U2 can only ever be used to mine SHA-256 coins.  That's all it can do because the ASIC has been built to do the SHA-256 hashing algorithm in the hardware.  That's all the hardware does, and it's all the hardware understands, and it's all the hardware will EVER understand.  It can't be reprogrammed, or reasoned with or bribed.  Nothing you can do or say to it will change the fact that it can only deal with the SHA-256 hash.

I hope that helps clear up that little misunderstanding Smiley

If you've got any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

VexusMalius (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:51:10 PM

Well ok then, lol.

Just to see it actually work properly I pointed it at a bitcoin pool, and bingo. It's chugging along merrily. Looks like I was lied to about it being able to run scrypt, so thanks for that tidbit. Now I just have to find an alt coin that isn't so freaking hard to mine.

Do you know of any ASIC like devices that do actually run scrypt?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 11:29:34 PM

Well ok then, lol.

Just to see it actually work properly I pointed it at a bitcoin pool, and bingo. It's chugging along merrily. Looks like I was lied to about it being able to run scrypt, so thanks for that tidbit. Now I just have to find an alt coin that isn't so freaking hard to mine.

Do you know of any ASIC like devices that do actually run scrypt?
Plenty of choices... The gridseed orbs, fury, black widow, terminators... The fury is a decent little entry level kit... About $35 or so.

cat2

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 12:16:18 AM

Here is a link to the setup guide that got me running with a U2+

http://denis-gobo.squarespace.com/denisgobo/2014/5/17/how-to-install-and-overclock-a-bitmain-antminer-u2-2ghs-usb-bitcoin-asic-miner-on-windows

><((((º>·.·..><((((º>
..·..><((((º>
VexusMalius (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:52:47 AM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 02:40:03 AM by VexusMalius

Cool. Thanks!

edit: ok, new question. If I get one of the gridseed orbs, can I still use cgminer with it, or will I have to use a different program?
Arctic

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:23:43 PM

looks like bfgminer would be a better choice

http://blog.nwoolls.com/2014/05/07/litecoin-mining-on-mac-os-x-gridseed-asics/

VexusMalius (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:53:22 PM

Well that just saved me a headache. I'd be going nuts again I'm sure. Thanks for the info arctic.
Arctic

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:39:42 PM

how did you get on in the end?

VexusMalius (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:01:28 PM

how did you get on in the end?

I'm using a few of the antminers, and am bouncing between a couple different 256 coins at the moment. It was a pain in the ass trying to find a starting point, but now that I have a basic understanding of how they work, and how pools work, I'm doing ok.

I'm still trying to figure out how to solo mine though. I don't quite know what specific lines I need in my conf files.
Arctic

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:04:11 AM

Any reason why you'd want to solo mine except for the fun of trying?

- you are very likely to never solve a block and make zero return

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:13:35 AM

Any reason why you'd want to solo mine except for the fun of trying?

- you are very likely to never solve a block and make zero return

People do it even though it is likely never to happen, it's like they are playing the lotto basically.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: