Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:21:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Version 0.6.0 released  (Read 10482 times)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 04:38:29 AM

@Gavin: The linked version has still the Beta flag in the version string, perhaps you forgot to re-label it.

All Bitcoin releases are considered beta.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gorgo1

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 10:23:35 AM

Thanks for the updated version of the client Gavin.Installing now. Smiley

18dYSssmxr2wkKvQ9a84m8Wbw7HvELjJSM
Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 10:36:14 AM

Initial network synchronization should be much faster
(one or two hours on a typical machine instead of ten or more
hours).

Here's something I've been wondering for awhile now, but only now remember when I'm actually on the forums...

Would it make sense to include a version for new adopters to download which includes an up-to-date (at time of release) blkindex file rather than a blank blkindex file so that they are nearly synced at installation?

slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 10:49:50 AM

Awesome work Gavin and team.. 

The fast block download is a huge improvement.  Even my low powered atom PC managed to catch up on 24 hours of blocks in just under a minute.

Any chance of getting the relative block count progress bar added back in as a configurable display option for the majority who liked it Smiley v0.6.1 perhaps.

Keep up the good work!
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 12:58:06 PM

kudos to all the developers!
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 01:00:28 PM

Initial network synchronization should be much faster
(one or two hours on a typical machine instead of ten or more
hours).

Here's something I've been wondering for awhile now, but only now remember when I'm actually on the forums...

Would it make sense to include a version for new adopters to download which includes an up-to-date (at time of release) blkindex file rather than a blank blkindex file so that they are nearly synced at installation?
The new version downloads the blocks much faster now, but if that is still too slow you can download a nightly here: http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 01:13:25 PM

The new version downloads the blocks much faster now, but if that is still too slow you can download a nightly here: http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/

If you're going to suggest people to download the block chain database (bypassing all verification that bitcoin does when it fetches blocks from peers), it may be advisable to suggest using -checkblocks -checklevel=6 when starting up the first time. -checklevel is a new option that allows much more thorough verification.

Otherwise, if somehow such a download (by bad luck or malicious intent) gets corrupted, and many people download their chain from that point, a particular block could put them all at once on a block chain fork.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 02:44:41 PM

Just upgraded, and it seems to be stuck at 8 connections even though port 8333 is open. Version 0.5.3.1 under same settings worked fine. Any ideas?

False alarm - after 5 minutes or so it started going up.

Same problem here. Getting stuck on 8 connections sometimes. uPnP doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 03:12:51 PM

Same problem here. Getting stuck on 8 connections sometimes. uPnP doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to.

The reason is IRC being deprecated and defaulting to off. This will indeed mean less very fast incoming connections, but better connectivity for longing-living listening nodes (as others don't rely on recently IRC-advertized nodes, but on the addresses propagated through the network).

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Mushoz

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 03:40:26 PM

The reason is IRC being deprecated and defaulting to off. This will indeed mean less very fast incoming connections, but better connectivity for longing-living listening nodes (as others don't rely on recently IRC-advertized nodes, but on the addresses propagated through the network).

I see. Is it possible to get more than 8 connections on the initial download of the chain? The number of connections finally went past 8 when the download was very close to being finished. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Pieter Wuille
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 03:47:10 PM

I see. Is it possible to get more than 8 connections on the initial download of the chain? The number of connections finally went past 8 when the download was very close to being finished. Maybe that had something to do with it?

There's no point in that: downloading the chain will not go faster with more connections - one good one suffices. In fact, incoming connections have a much larger chance of wanting to request your block chain, slowing your sync down further.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:48:26 PM

Any chance of getting the relative block count progress bar added back in as a configurable display option for the majority who liked it Smiley v0.6.1 perhaps.

+1
Mushoz

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 04:47:03 PM

There's no point in that: downloading the chain will not go faster with more connections - one good one suffices. In fact, incoming connections have a much larger chance of wanting to request your block chain, slowing your sync down further.

I know it will only use 1 connection at a time for downloading, but with more connections there's a bigger chance you get connected to a fast peer, right?

Pieter Wuille
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 05:01:34 PM

I know it will only use 1 connection at a time for downloading, but with more connections there's a bigger chance you get connected to a fast peer, right?

No, it just uses whatever node is the first that tells you about a new block. That is almost always the first node you connect to.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 06:45:40 PM

Good work devs.
Bitcoin just keeps getting better...

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 08:38:08 PM

After issuing the sudo apt-get upgrade command I get the following message

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  bitcoin-qt
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Anybody know why it's not allowing me to upgrade as normal?

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 11:09:32 PM

Thanks again for all of your effort devs!

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 11:35:31 PM

After issuing the sudo apt-get upgrade command I get the following message

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  bitcoin-qt
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Anybody know why it's not allowing me to upgrade as normal?

Problem solved! Just had to issue the install-qt command instead. There were some outdated dependencies holding it up, which I later autoremoved after replacing them with more recent dependencies during installation.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2012, 07:20:28 PM

Great news, thanks!

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 03:20:32 PM

I installed v0.6.0 and apparently someone had finished the Swedish translation so I got it in Swedish, great! BUT, there seems to be a problem with the "&" that is included in some strings to indicate the shortcut key. For example, the "Send coins" tab looks like this in the Swedish translation: "amp; Skicka bitcoins". So, it seems that "&" has been used in the program instead of just "&".

It looks right on Transifex from what I can see, and in some places it works, for example the "New address" button on the "Receive coins tab" looks right.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: