Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:42:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A bullish opinion for people who panic when the price is dropping  (Read 3772 times)
gjgjg (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 01:51:39 AM

Im tired of seeing all the usual panic caused by this and other price drops, so I decided to start a new thread to help counter those panicing a bit and try to keep some perspective. Ambitious I know:p  

I know how it feels to see investments and trades go against you and you sit and watch the charts plummet while your balance diminishes, its natural, but i remain bullish and id like to convey why in a simple way. keeping things simple is one of the cardinal rules in trading and investing, and is a great fear antidote.

First though, its important to understand something: IMO most people on here and elsewhere that are spreading doomsday 'it's dropping to $1' panic are simply perpetuating peoples fear and other emotions from the price drops to try to cause liquidity at even further lows so they can capitalize themselves: IE lows in which they can BUY and then PROFIT from the subsequent price rises. Dont forget, in order for you to sell low there must be a buyer on the other side of that transaction. If all the sellers would hold off for higher prices, the buyers need to then 'give in' and buy for higher prices and this will cause the price to then move up.
I know there will be some that actually believe btc is doomed and / or are actually hoping for a crash (to push an altcoin or something), but these ppl are in a minority imho and it doesnt change the fact they benefit from the low prices anyway, so can be treated equally.
This is obvious to many, but worth a mention as ppl seem to forget so easily.

I am bullish for fundamental reasons:
BTC is a strong new technology and will not 'crash' unless it is 1. completely stamped out and banned by authorities (we all know that is very unlikely as these institutions are very disorganised and if it did happen would just push it underground anyway, so it will still exist, until such a time as the ban is lifted). Think how far weve come on this front in 12 months.
2.some fundamental flaw in the technology is found and exploited (Im pretty sure thats even less likely)
3.everyone just abandons it for some other reason (so far BTC is growing in investment and adoption rates, so there is no sign of this any time soon).
Asides any major catastrophes (like an EMP from a solar flare where bigger problems than btc price is created anyway), BTC is sticking around and is still in the early growth years. These early growth years are turbulent, but it doesnt mean the longer term wont yield even greater heights (eg. the .com bubble caused big losses, but the fundamental tech survived and is now thriving better than ever).  

So whats causing the price to drop now in the face of all the good news?
This happens all the time in the fx markets (fiat ones), and doesnt really mean the positive fundamentals are wrong, and doesnt mean the fundamentals wont get reflected into the price later. These fx markets are mainly moved by, what i like to call, 'whales' (traders - not necs individuals - who have the capital to move markets) who throw their weight around by buying and selling in massive amounts to get the price to go where they want it to, not on a minute by minute basis necessarily but on a price 'target' basis. They do their thing and it causes a ripple effect of further smaller fish to act. The fiat fx market is quiiite a big bigger than btc though, so its far less simple in that world...
To a usual fx whale the btc market is like heaven, however: no regulation, move the market by double digit % with relatively little capital, very little competition and lots of nooby traders to take advantage of. Since the fx market is very quiet these last months, im betting (opinion reminder) a couple or more of these big players are working the btc market recently to make up their margins. So in my humble opinion, if there are a couple of whale sized players pushing the market around they only need 5~10 million each to do so. They'll want to get the price down as low as possible before things really take off for btc, and considering you can get the price to drop by 5~10$+ with 250k sell orders i think they will find it easy to manipulate it down even further than we are now - theyll want to get as much cheap liquidity as poss to then pump in larger buy orders later and get things moving upwards again.
With the wide scale panic going on it doesnt seem that hard to find sellers at these prices... and theres prob plenty more folk ready to dump at 350, 250 etc. But in the end, they have a vested interest in a higher btc price later. They wont want to short sell this golden goose to death (even if they could).

What will cause the price to rise again?
I believe adoption by new markets is the only substantial thing that will cause a fundamental shift upwards here. Even if amazon google etc adopt it, i think we still need more new buyers. Since BTC is only used by about 0.5% of the world, there is plenty of upside potential here. One of the big contributers to the last 2 rallys were new buyers coming in from new markets (not the sole factor but a catalyst).
New merchant adopters are good, but they also have an inherent 'sell' factor as many merchants will routinely sell into fiat after a transaction. New populations adopting btc however, means more buying than selling. Its only a matter of time before the next new market comes in, not if but when.
Since the 'market whales' know this, they want to get the price as low as possible while there is no 'new market rush'.A lower price before a new market moves in means they (whales and new/old markets) will buy even harder into a new rally. The whales will help to get that rally started when theyve exhausted the low sellers and itll hopefully coincide as near as possible to when a new wave of adoption is triggered (argentina next?).

Im also bullish for technical reasons:
tech analysis is a funny game, but one of the simplest concepts is 'higher highs with higher lows' usually = further bull trend to come and 'lower lows with lower highs' = bear trend. This is the basis of the most common tech tool: trend lines, but any seasoned trader will tell you these fail quickly but as long as you dont lose sight of the main highs and lows, then you can still identify the main trend. As far as BTC goes, its quite predictable in terms of using fibs, floating S&R with MAs etc but in the theme of keeping it simple, you just need to take a look at the last highs and lows to see what to expect:
since we are no doubt hitting a low period, in order to find out what low price is 'so low' that were bearish, just look at the low between the last two highs: it was about $50pBTC. So as long as the price doesnt 'break' this low, were still on the UP. To get an idea of what to expect for the next high point, check out the ratios of the lows to highs to lows to highs. While this is rarely exact, just dont lose sight of the big picture.

So, in conclusion, even if im wrong about why the market is moving down and what will cause a new rally, as long as the tech analysis is intact (we dont go below $50) and the main fundamentals are true (adoption is growing and there are more new markets than saturated markets), then I believe we have plenty of reason not to panic and sell off into this down turn.
In terms of when, i have my ideas but i wouldnt take them seriously and in the end that shouldnt matter - at least for me as long as the above continues as is, then the 'targets' remain the same (higher lows,higher highs). Could be tomorrow could be 5 years.

Disclaimer: I have a vested interest in a higher btc price: I have long trades open and pending long trades to be filled at lower prices (Im not that confident ill calm the panic that much obviously lol).
Do not make investment / trading decisions based on my advice.
As a wiser trader than I says often: trade with the facts, trade with patience and conviction, and only trade it if you see it.
You should only trade/invest with what you can afford to LOSE (i.e. if you lose 100% of your investment, you will not be significantly affected). If you are adversely affected by the price drop (ie you cant 'afford' to let it drop to X) then you should reassess how much you invested and why and at what price you should exit.

Its late, hopefully that makes sense to someone, sorry if im not clear on some stuff, now im going to sleepzzz. for some further related entertainment, listen to this guy talk about buyers and sellers in the fx market:

http://youtu.be/S7H-MVPlGJw?t=7m

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:48:12 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! There is too much focus on the price instead of the ever growing fundamentals: just amazing all the new developments in Bitcoin land!

Can really imagine btw how this must be heaven for whales!

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
nuff

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:30:35 PM

I'm planning to hold my bitcoins for at least 20 years. Really, the price now has zero concern for me. I'm just monitoring the fluctuation to try to get in at the bottom whenever I can to get as many bitcoins as I'm able to. Cos in 20 years time I know I would've killed to get my bitcoins at today's prices
Sevvero

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:38:47 PM

I'm planning to hold my bitcoins for at least 20 years. Really, the price now has zero concern for me. I'm just monitoring the fluctuation to try to get in at the bottom whenever I can to get as many bitcoins as I'm able to. Cos in 20 years time I know I would've killed to get my bitcoins at today's prices
20 years? Not smart. In 2040 or so we are getting AI. Guess where that leaves you and your coins?
nuff

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:15:00 PM

20 years? Not smart. In 2040 or so we are getting AI. Guess where that leaves you and your coins?

Pray tell, sir, what has AI got to do with Bitcoin or anything for that matter?
maker88

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:02:29 PM

Obviously the machines will conquer the earth once that happens! Sell your coins the terminator is coming!
Raystonn

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:44:22 PM

Obviously the machines will conquer the earth once that happens! Sell your coins the terminator is coming!

Yeah, ok.  In a doomsday scenario, all money is worthless.  Fiat, Bitcoin, and Gold would all be worthless in favor of shelter, water, food, and ammo (in that order).
hotsaucee

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:28:41 PM

The all-time-high point is the real one that should be convincing...

I see an article every other week on the BBC about Bitcoin, people are aware of Bitcoin, although they are far from understanding it... its utility increases, its value changes from speculative to utile and then the price must at least match the speculative value.

maker88

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:24:00 PM

Yeah, ok.  In a doomsday scenario, all money is worthless.  Fiat, Bitcoin, and Gold would all be worthless in favor of shelter, water, food, and ammo (in that order).

lol come on raystonn I'm obviously clowning on the kid for saying AI would be here in 2040 and that would somehow change everything.
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:33:42 PM

I believe adoption by new markets is the only substantial thing that will cause a fundamental shift upwards here. Even if amazon google etc adopt it, i think we still need more new buyers. Since BTC is only used by about 0.5% of the world, there is plenty of upside potential here. One of the big contributers to the last 2 rallys were new buyers coming in from new markets (not the sole factor but a catalyst).

Sooner or later Wall Street will decide that the strong fundamentals of the past 6 months should no longer be ignored. Here's an illustration of how the mindset of a traditional investor can change:

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/recent-bitcoin-weakness-creates-an-opportunity-cm381412

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
gjgjg (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 12:03:54 AM

Sooner or later Wall Street will decide that the strong fundamentals of the past 6 months should no longer be ignored. Here's an illustration of how the mindset of a traditional investor can change:

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/recent-bitcoin-weakness-creates-an-opportunity-cm381412

Interesting to see such an article, thxfor sharing. I agree the business and finance world are losing a small amount of nay sayers on a daily basis.
I watch a few hours of cnbc most days for my sins and I couldnt believe the amount of negative spin around btc in the last 6 months, mainly from businessmen/bankers/economists (not so much investors). However its slowly dissipating now and all those commentators that were calling it the worst ponzi scheme ever etc are keeping more quiet recently(and of course never get 'called up' on previous comments). Anyway, in 85% of cases, if you hear a good idea on cnbc its already too late, so assuming the commentators are going to turn their frowns upside down soon, i guess the tide is turning behind the scenes.
However in terms of active traders, im sure there are a some of the big (and smaller) players already active and enjoying the easy ride with btc markets, as i already mentioned. Those are the guys that dont give a shit either way as long as they make their money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC19fEqR5bA
Its the old school 'grey men in suits' that reflect 'business sentiment' are the ones slowly warming up to this/remaining skeptical and who have their ideals reflected in the press. Would love to hear how they talk to their banker friends about it, the ones that are coming round at least. Anyway, i get the feeling the nay sayers are only sticking to their guns out of stuborness or they have contrary investments. I think they know the tide is moving against them.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
grappa_barricata

Activity: 154

playing pasta and eating mandolinos

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:59:27 AM

Very nice point of view on the situation.

I believe the hordes of people working in foreign countries and sending money home on a monthly basis (aka: the 'remittance industry') will be so much better off using bitcoin: they are currently raped by a few businesses and there was no alternative before bitcoin. That will be the next 'gradual' push, in my opinion.

Fortune cannot take away what she has not given.
AdamSmith

Activity: 142

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:06:42 AM

Nice post. You are neglecting one important factor, supply and demand.

The price you see today gives you the signal of how much the market is willing to pay for 1 bitcoin. The supply cost based on difficulty today is way higher than what the market willing to pay.

So, based on this factor, bitcoin is still rather bearish since the price is still way below production cost.
gjgjg (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:28:24 AM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 09:46:48 AM by gjgjg

Nice post. You are neglecting one important factor, supply and demand.

The price you see today gives you the signal of how much the market is willing to pay for 1 bitcoin. The supply cost based on difficulty today is way higher than what the market willing to pay.

So, based on this factor, bitcoin is still rather bearish since the price is still way below production cost.

Even if the smaller miners stop producing coins due to increased costs v lower BTC prices, the supply to the market should stay steady anyway (I thought) because the difficulty level will adjust.
So the people that are left mining are still finding it profitable anyway, even with the lower prices, because they will always have an edge on the (lower) difficulty rate, and so be able to produce more coins to compensate the lower price, right?
By my understanding the supply will stay steady unless the price drops to 0 and stays there, or everyone stops mining or the cap is reached because the difficulty rate will always adjust to the amount of Hash power on the network.

I must admit Im not an expert on this side, thats just my understanding of it. Maybe I got it totally wrong and making an ass of myself here lol. Tongue Im more focused on the market trading within itself, because supply was inherently steady (afaik)

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
gjgjg (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:49:21 AM

Very nice point of view on the situation.

I believe the hordes of people working in foreign countries and sending money home on a monthly basis (aka: the 'remittance industry') will be so much better off using bitcoin: they are currently raped by a few businesses and there was no alternative before bitcoin. That will be the next 'gradual' push, in my opinion.

agreed, this is a kind of transient market that could be huge (maybe even the biggest single 'non-national' market) and Id imagine these people would be a big reason the 'home' markets adopt BTC.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
gjgjg (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 02:56:18 AM

250 reached, interesting price point as it is the previous high on the current up-trend.

sadly no new territories on the radar to introduce new buying pressure. current market players still looking for the bottom. close inspection tech analysis puts bottom at~200. usd orderbooks clearly have buying pressure between 250 and 50. fundamentals still same (market reacted well to stamp hack) so not seeing certain reasoning for uptrend to break just yet (not looking so good on cny market orderbook though... lets see how market reacts to 250;).

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
altcoin hitler

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:15:14 AM

Bitcoin has failed. Abandon ship!

King of the real Bitcoin Foundation https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934517.0
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 04:41:11 AM

Says the man with 56 posts!

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 05:03:43 AM

I can only imagine the commentary had this person been a noob during 2011 like, "cut your losses and your wrists!"  Grin
homo homini lupus

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 06:25:51 AM

you think your opinion is worth more because you spammed more?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: