Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:00:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which volume is right?  (Read 905 times)
Wary (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:36:58 AM

While nothing much happening, I'd like to ask a noob question: Which volume is considered right? I mean, we can often hear something like "It's not real bounce/reversal, because volume isn't right", so the question. How can we tell whether the volume is big/small enough to be a confirmation of something. And more general, what volume can tell us? There must be a reason it's placed on graphs, just below the price Smiley

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 03:43:59 AM

here an example of using volume to understand a situation

looking back at the last 10 days we can clearly see the bubble popping and the first good attempt at catching the resulting knife.

you can see that when the bubble popped at ~266$ their was a big dip in price without much volume ( everyone let the knife fall  )
but now at 80-50$ rang we are seeing HUGE volume spikes when their is any kind of movement up or down.
I think if we are not already at bottom, its not too far down...

also i would like to add that when you can't look at stamps volume and compare it to the volume stamps use to see 6 months ago, its a well known fact that volume has been spreading out onto new exchanges and funds coming online.

EricTyle

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:58:46 AM

also i would like to add that when you can't look at stamps volume and compare it to the volume stamps use to see 6 months ago, its a well known fact that volume has been spreading out onto new exchanges and funds coming online.

Care to explain? I'm lost here by what you are intending to say

Wary (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:04:49 AM

here an example of using volume to understand a situation

looking back at the last 10 days we can clearly see the bubble popping and the first good attempt at catching the resulting knife.

you can see that when the bubble popped at ~266$ their was a big dip in price without much volume ( everyone let the knife fall  )
but now at 80-50$ rang we are seeing HUGE volume spikes when their is any kind of movement up or down.
I think if we are not already at bottom, its not too far down...

Thanks!

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:07:00 AM

You can tell a trending move because volume rises as the move progresses.

These are Daily charts. Notice the Bullish trend and that volume rises with the trend. Then, during the correction, you get dwindling volumes

This is zoomed in, though still a Daily chart, but you can see the trends within the trends

We are trending down in the correction currently. The very huge spikes of volume in the first chart are capitulation events

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 04:07:04 AM

for a short time stamps had most of the volume

then new exchange come online and poeple moved to these exchanges

so now stamps doesn't have the same market share it use to, so it sees less volume these days.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:10:07 AM

so now stamps doesn't have the same market share it use to, so it sees less volume these days.

But you can still compare day to day. You just can't compare today to November 2013

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 05:16:35 AM

But you can still compare day to day. You just can't compare today to November 2013

The process of coins moving to hedge funds and other exchanges is ongoing 

but that shouldn't have to much of an effect day to day... i guess, idk.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: