Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:40:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Phishing Attempts to be aware of  (Read 4189 times)
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:21:59 PM

(I'm posting about the invoice jars in this thread because it's the only thread on bitcointalk that mentions it)

It's not just cloudhashing.com, it seems as though somebody got into the mailing servers (or at least spoofed them, but it looks legit) of various large/largish bitcoin websites, i got one from btc-e.

I got an email from both btc-e.com and cloudhashing.com with this invoice_772.jar

Actually, cloudhashing.com was invoice_773.jar

BTC-E:

Cloudhashing:

If somebody would like me to upload these jars somewhere so you can take a look at them, PM me and I'll send you a link.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
williamj2543 (OP)

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 06:12:34 PM

Guys do you want to make an official phishing topic, to notify others? I can move this (I don't know what is a good subcategory for this).

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
xcapator

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

Here I Am !!

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:04:27 PM

Guys do you want to make an official phishing topic, to notify others? I can move this (I don't know what is a good subcategory for this).

I think this thread should go to Beginners & Help section since there too many newbies unaware (or even dont know) about this stuff.

williamj2543 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 04:35:27 AM

I think this thread should go to Beginners & Help section since there too many newbies unaware (or even dont know) about this stuff.
Allright I think I will move it there and rename it something like "active phishing attempts" or something.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:56:33 AM

Really ? blockchain.info is scam ? or blockchain.imfo ??
I need to careful about it .

blockchain.info is the legit one.
You should bookmark the site, and never use a seemingly correct link you find in email to log in your account.

Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:01:58 AM

Please post any phishing scams that you have seen related to bitcoin. I first started this thread to notify people of a blockchain.info phishing attempt, and the original post is below, and after other people started posting other phishing emails I decided to move it to beginners and help to help others to not fall victim to these scams. Always be careful, general tips are to check the original email sender, and whenever you click a link, check the URL at the top. Usually people say to check if there is a green lock, but I hate this rule. Anyone can buy a green lock for about 2$, so you have to click on the green look and make sure it is the website you are looking for.

That is a good idea.
For those interested, you can also check https://blog.blockchain.com/security-alerts/ to find some more historical examples of phishing attempts. Smiley

catena5260

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:59:46 AM

Wouldn't it be easy for someone to figure out who owned that url and charge him with conspiracy to hacking and stealing?

Not that easy if the server is hosted abroad. It is hard make some countries cooperate with your justice.

Plus I guess the url was registered using fake data
nobunaga

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:03:39 PM

hey guys, yesterday i clicked that jar file ( yes I am an Idiot). Good thing I have last line of defenses (2-Factor Authentication, encryption) on every coins related programs and websites. I deleted the file right away, but I am still worried something hidden program is still there on my pc. could you guys please help me how to scan and remove it? i ran anti-virus programs like malware bytes and AVG and they showed that file is "clean".  I am confused now. please help.
Milkcookie

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:15:14 PM

the best is that you run as well some registry cleaner to be sure !
williamj2543 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 11:18:18 PM

Always keep an antivirus (I use avg) on a PC holding or transferring bitcoins. If you lose your bitcoins, your loss, whereas with a bank they usually refund any fraudulent transactions. ESPECIALLY if you are actually holding the bitcoin wallet on your harddrive, like bitcoin-qt. Never open any suspicious emails, and use common sense.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
ksoza

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 11:28:19 PM

got that too funny stuff
PangPang

Activity: 499

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 04:40:00 PM

hey guys, yesterday i clicked that jar file ( yes I am an Idiot). Good thing I have last line of defenses (2-Factor Authentication, encryption) on every coins related programs and websites. I deleted the file right away, but I am still worried something hidden program is still there on my pc. could you guys please help me how to scan and remove it? i ran anti-virus programs like malware bytes and AVG and they showed that file is "clean".  I am confused now. please help.

I am paranoid, and I suggest you to format the hard disk after backing up the important files.

For anti-virus programs, they can't catch 100% of the malware.
But still it is good to have a good anti-virus program as they can probably catch 90% of the malware.

oceans

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:47:21 PM

Thank you for posting this. We can all have those moments were we lose concentration for a few seconds and can accidentally click on something not realising but seeing posts like this is a stark reminder of just how bad things can be if we did and what do look out for.
williamj2543 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 08:13:50 PM

Set a second password on your blockchain wallet. If a hacker gets your credentials they need this second password t actually get any money out.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
ofirbeigel

Activity: 257
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 09:50:14 PM

I also got a Coindesk phishing attempt and later on a CryptoCoinsNews phishing attempt.

99Bitcoins - We translate Bitcoin into plain English.

Bitrated user: ofir.
williamj2543 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 10:42:02 PM

Thanks for the info. The more the better, we gave to spread the word of all these scams.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
feryjhie

Activity: 882
Merit: 595

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 10:56:38 PM

i already got an email from blockchain after i open the link its look phising website

and i close that link Cheesy
williamj2543 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 11:17:25 PM

i already got an email from blockchain after i open the link its look phising website

You should be fine. I don't think its possible for a website to directly infect you without downloading anything. Even if it looks like a phishing website I still open it so that I know how it looks. 

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
feryjhie

Activity: 882
Merit: 595

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 11:27:10 PM

You should be fine. I don't think its possible for a website to directly infect you without downloading anything. Even if it looks like a phishing website I still open it so that I know how it looks. 

yeah i still open for 5 minutes to see how it looks Cheesy
and the i close that link and delete the email from my email Cheesy
Nawaytes

Activity: 476
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 02:04:46 AM

yeah i still open for 5 minutes to see how it looks Cheesy
and the i close that link and delete the email from my email Cheesy

haha me too, sometimes we want to know how the phising looks like  Grin
there are many types of phishing that used by the bad guys  Undecided
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: