Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 01:19:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Progressing too quickly?  (Read 1415 times)
DDuckworth (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 05:06:40 AM

I'm wondering if perhaps people might be turned off by bitcoin having so many different applications.

I feel as though bitcoin is finally gaining traction as a real currency alternative, and I wonder if other applications such as colored coins might cause people interested to shy away from having to learn too much at once. The progress is great, I just hope it doesn't keep itself from universal adoption through it's own extremely fast paced advances in tech.

BabesForBitcoin.com - Custom pics & vids from real girls for cash or bitcoin!
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:24:33 AM

people are dumb in economy : example, they always think that fiat paper money is not devaluate after 10 years.
they don't known what is "real and invisible" inflation.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 09:34:36 AM

you know about colored coins because you are here on the forum. most people are not and so they only know about bitcoin and thats complicated enough for the most.

there is indeed alot of other stuff but its important to have these things even when its a niche.

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:14:19 AM

I don't really know what colored coins are myself and i've been here for 1+ year. I will eventually look into it tho.

iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 01:10:53 PM

I'm wondering if perhaps people might be turned off by bitcoin having so many different applications.

I feel as though bitcoin is finally gaining traction as a real currency alternative, and I wonder if other applications such as colored coins might cause people interested to shy away from having to learn too much at once. The progress is great, I just hope it doesn't keep itself from universal adoption through it's own extremely fast paced advances in tech.

i will give an easy example. my friend "bob" didnt want to get more credit cards. he thought to himself oh ok i want to just have a 1,000 USD limit so i dont overspend by much. i then said why would u do that when u can get a cc with no fees that gives u 1% back on every purchase? he was like huh? it took awhile to convince him but now he uses a CC and gets 5%  back on promotional categories that change every 3 months. right now u get 5% off of gas.

if u want more people to use bitcoin u need things to happen like that. gyft gives a 3% discount but right now for most people they can get a better rewards card, a no fee bank, and its insured for 100,000USD if the bank account gets hacked or identity theft happens. BTC has a long way to go to catch up to that. I will never spend btc on things purely out of principle, i will spend it when it makes sense. i am all for BTC but economically it does not benefit me more than the current system. THAT IS THE ISSUE.

Smiley
frankh13

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:16:07 PM

Yes, applications do transactions faster, then fiats. But it need upgrade in security plan.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 03:23:29 PM

i will give an easy example. my friend "bob" didnt want to get more credit cards. he thought to himself oh ok i want to just have a 1,000 USD limit so i dont overspend by much. i then said why would u do that when u can get a cc with no fees that gives u 1% back on every purchase? he was like huh? it took awhile to convince him but now he uses a CC and gets 5%  back on promotional categories that change every 3 months. right now u get 5% off of gas.

if u want more people to use bitcoin u need things to happen like that. gyft gives a 3% discount but right now for most people they can get a better rewards card, a no fee bank, and its insured for 100,000USD if the bank account gets hacked or identity theft happens. BTC has a long way to go to catch up to that. I will never spend btc on things purely out of principle, i will spend it when it makes sense. i am all for BTC but economically it does not benefit me more than the current system. THAT IS THE ISSUE.

Smiley

i do both  Wink

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:43:01 PM

I like credit cards with higher credit limits. You just have to be able to afford paying for stuff and not depend on the seemingly low monthly amortizations or interest.

MichaelBliss

Activity: 526

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:50:11 PM

I think the more options, the better.  Yeah, many people get confused and put off when faced with so many choices.  But I don't believe Bitcoin will succeed based on choices of informed consumers - the real world doesn't work that way.  I think some "authority" like facebook or your phone company will adopt bitcoin sooner or later - THEN FORCE IT ON IT'S CUSTOMERS.   Same as everything else.  You will be forced to use bitcoin same as you are forced to use a CC or Paypal now, then people will like bitcoin, because everyone else will have it, and it will have the respect of all the institutions people admire.  This first stage of voluntary bitcoin adoption will be a forgotten blip in history, like the times when we used to log on to the net with our shell accounts to gopher and telnet and spam and advertising were "illegal" on the internet.  Remember those days?  Exactly.  

Technologies work like this.  At first you have reasonable interested people using it.  But at some point, when everyone and their grandmother are sending "memes", you realize that "adoption" means all the lemmings must follow.

So there aren't too many apps.  The netscape moment has yet to happen.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:01:20 PM

I don't really know what colored coins are myself and i've been here for 1+ year. I will eventually look into it tho.
Same for me, I've looked into it briefly, but I did not understand right away.
Same for some other alt-coins.

I'm beginning to think it's like "divide and conquer".
There are just too many options for most people, so Bitcoin will be winner  Grin
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 04:26:03 PM

Bitcoin's progression is normal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUPPYzzZrI

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Coinhunter32

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:28:33 PM

Bitcoin will be the new Paypal, and it will have its own monopoly. Ofcourse its a great crypto currency.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:21:47 PM

Bitcoin will be the new Paypal, and it will have its own monopoly. Ofcourse its a great crypto currency.

Hopefully only without the fees and problems this time Cheesy
pikabit

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 06:14:01 PM

Fees rape ebay merchants. If they dont with BTC then everyone will move on there.
evanito

Activity: 83

Your average Bitcoin/Ethereum enthusiast

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:37:18 PM

I feel like Bitcoin is thrilling AND applicable. I love a currency that has so many uses without need of an institution.
DDuckworth (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 04:11:42 AM

I think the more options, the better.  Yeah, many people get confused and put off when faced with so many choices.  But I don't believe Bitcoin will succeed based on choices of informed consumers - the real world doesn't work that way.  I think some "authority" like facebook or your phone company will adopt bitcoin sooner or later - THEN FORCE IT ON IT'S CUSTOMERS.   Same as everything else.  You will be forced to use bitcoin same as you are forced to use a CC or Paypal now, then people will like bitcoin, because everyone else will have it, and it will have the respect of all the institutions people admire.  This first stage of voluntary bitcoin adoption will be a forgotten blip in history, like the times when we used to log on to the net with our shell accounts to gopher and telnet and spam and advertising were "illegal" on the internet.  Remember those days?  Exactly.  

Technologies work like this.  At first you have reasonable interested people using it.  But at some point, when everyone and their grandmother are sending "memes", you realize that "adoption" means all the lemmings must follow.

So there aren't too many apps.  The netscape moment has yet to happen.

Did somebody say google+?  Cheesy

MichaelBliss

Activity: 526

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:38:49 AM

You seriously want to compare Bitcoin to Google+ ?   Huh

Compare it to the web instead.
DDuckworth (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 04:53:54 AM

You seriously want to compare Bitcoin to Google+ ?   Huh

Compare it to the web instead.

Oh I just meant the "FORCE IT ON THEM" part. Nothing else.

Gargulan

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:08:56 AM

This is just normal speed for technology progression. Facebook and Google progress even faster when comparing to bitcoin. And we are no where near the market cap when comparing to these technology companies.

MegaHustlr

Activity: 601

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:24:30 AM

This is just normal speed for technology progression. Facebook and Google progress even faster when comparing to bitcoin. And we are no where near the market cap when comparing to these technology companies.

Nah it was about the same adoption i think

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█