Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:07:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help newb.  (Read 885 times)
junglist52 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 10:53:17 PM

Hi, I am new to mining. I was wondering if someone could help me out with something. I just recently purchased a 7970 and I hear it is much harder to setup than my old GTX 570 that I ran from dosprompt with rpcminer-cuda.  Can anyone suggest the program to use with AMD cards. Can anyone point me towards a good link that would help me set up? Or maybe help me themselves. I heard something about SDK and what not. I would just need someone to tell me the syntax to use and such. I want 2 settings. One where I can use it during the day in backround, and one all out when I sleep.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 10:56:16 PM

Hi, I am new to mining. I was wondering if someone could help me out with something. I just recently purchased a 7970 and I hear it is much harder to setup than my old GTX 570 that I ran from dosprompt with rpcminer-cuda.  Can anyone suggest the program to use with AMD cards. Can anyone point me towards a good link that would help me set up? Or maybe help me themselves. I heard something about SDK and what not. I would just need someone to tell me the syntax to use and such. I want 2 settings. One where I can use it during the day in backround, and one all out when I sleep.

Try searching something like "cgminer ubuntu", "diablo windows set up" or something similar on the forum.

junglist52 (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 12:05:56 AM

I have and I am not having any luck. I will donate the tiniest bit of bitcoin that I have for the person who helps and explains it to me. Currently I only have 2.00 from mining on my GTX 570. I have a 7970 now. Can someone walk me through all of it. I have tried to search. Im not retarded... I am just having no luck.

I have looked at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6458.0 right now its just a bit over my head.

I am with deepbit my CPU is a 2600k and my GPU 7970 Direct CU II.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 01:08:37 AM

I would just need someone to tell me the syntax to use and such. I want 2 settings. One where I can use it during the day in backround, and one all out when I sleep.
Windows Cgminer compilation can be downloaded from the author's website.

Day miner:
Code:
cgminer -u worker_name -p worker_pass -o http://pool_address:pool_port -k diablo -v 1 -w 256 -g 1 -I d --auto-fan --auto-gpu --gpu-engine 700-925 --gpu-memdiff -150 --temp-target 80

Night-mode mining:
Code:
cgminer -u worker_name -p worker_pass -o http://pool_address:pool_port -k diablo -v 1 -w 256 -g 2 -I 10 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --gpu-engine 925 --gpu-memdiff -150 --temp-target 80

worker_name, worker_pass, pool_address, and pool_port are pretty self-explanatory, right?
-k diablo selects DiabloD3 mining kernel which works well with GCN cards
-v 1 tells the kernel to use single-width vectors
-w 256 sets the work size to 256. Both this and vector width are fine-tuning parameters
-g 1 sets the number of mining threads per gpu to 1
-I d sets the intensity to dynamic; this should allow you to work without desktop lag
-I 10 sets the intensity to 10; this should boost the hash rate nicely at the cost of introducing significant lag
--gpu-engine 925 sets the GPU clocks to 925 MHz. You can easily overclock the card by specifying a higher value. If you're using the factory-overclocked version of 7970 DCII use 1000 here.

These are only a few of the available options, enough to get you going. Everything is very well documented in the README.

Mind you, there is a much better way of managing your cgminer configuration - you can create a single config file which will take care of all the settings.
In cgminer's window you need to press s (settings), then w (write config) to create a configuration file populated with the current config.
Alternatively, you could write if by hand, of course.

It isn't important what CPU you have, you won't be using it anyway.
junglist52 (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:44:05 AM

It doesnt seem to want to recognize all the stuff that has the --

also I had to enter phatk instead of diablo the error said either poclbm or phatk.
sucks I couldnt get anyone of the -- to word it was getting 620Mhash but I have to return my card 2morrow way too much heat on the VRM
jake262144

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 11:03:55 AM

Umm... you're sure you're not using some ancient version of cgminer? It must be cgminer, that config won't work with Phoenix or any other miner.

As to the config file, I wrote this for you. It's guaranteed to work with latest cgminer.
cgminer.conf
Code:
{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "http://example.pool.com:8332",
"user" : "user",
"pass" : "pass"
}
],

"auto-fan" : true,
"auto-gpu" : true,

"gpu-engine" : "800-925",
"gpu-memdiff" : "-150",

"gpu-fan" : "60-80",
"temp-cutoff" : "88",
"temp-overheat" : "84",
"temp-target" : "80",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",

"kernel" : "diablo",
"vectors" : "2",
"worksize" : "256",

"intensity" : "10",
"gpu-threads" : "1",

"kernel-path" : "/opt/bcm/cgminer-current"
}
Also available on pastebin

Make sure to name the file cgminer.conf and drop it into cgminer's main directory - this way it'll be automagically looked up and loaded at each start.
This file if far more comphrehensive than the command line arguments used previously.
If you don't understand what an option does, look it up in the README

Only two lines need to be changed between the day- and night mode: intensity and gpu-threads

For day mining I suggest
"intensity" : "d",
"gpu-threads" : "1",

For night (full-throttle) mining:
"intensity" : "10",
"gpu-threads" : "2",
junglist52 (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:36:40 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2012, 06:03:36 PM by junglist52

what is the latest version? I have 2.2.7 . Almost got it to work I think Smiley
jake262144

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 06:09:38 PM

Latest stable is the newly released 2.3.2 version. It's been released just this morning.
Conman has put a lot off effort into optimizing the poclbm kernel for GCN so you might get even better results with
"kernel" : "poclbm",
junglist52 (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 06:21:39 PM

Ok so I think I got everything working and such. Only thing that concerns me a bit while looking at MSI afterburner I noticed my clock dropped down to 501mhz and stayed there. Any clue why?
jake262144

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 06:39:47 PM

What gpu-engine speed have you specified? What hash rate are you getting?
You can check the current clocks from inside cgminer, just press g for GPU management.
junglist52 (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 07:03:42 PM

Actually I believe I got it working. My question is what is temp hysterisis. Also, is it bad if my temp goes above my target temp by a degree or two?

Also what is the difference between temp cutoff and temp overheat? I ask because I want to understand what does what so I dont ruin my brand new card.
jake262144

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 10:12:54 PM

Temp-target is the temperature Cgminer will attempt to keep the card at. Fans will speed up and/or clocks will begin to decrease if the actual temperature rises above it.
If hysteresis is defined, fans will begin to speed up at 'temp-target minus hysteresis' °C.
Temp-overheat is the temperature threshold at which fans and clocks change significantly.
Temp-cutoff is the temperature threshold at which the card is taken offline completely. This is a protection against fan failure.
Hysteresis is an offset from those three temperature thresholds to take action at.

You'll want to set temp-target at the temperature your card will be mining at (the lowest temperature you can achieve with your current cooling setup at an acceptable noise level).
Temp-overheat should be a few degrees higher (say six). Temp-cutoff should be a couple degrees higher than overheat.

Experiment a bit, you'll get the hang of it.

Post your current temperatures and fan speeds if you're worried about the card.
junglist52 (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 10:57:57 PM

Ok so I pretty much got the hang of it. In night mode I am able to get about 675Mhash while holding about 75-80 degrees. Ive noticed I take a bit more of a hit than I want during the day mode settings. Is there any reason you would suggest not running it at intensity 4? I am able to play the game I play on low settings and still get about 550Mhash with the same temps. Ya know its a complete shame the GTX 680 is such utter crap for mining coins because it does SOOOO well for gaming. lol I guess I cant have it all.
jake262144

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 11:14:18 PM

Ok so I pretty much got the hang of it. In night mode I am able to get about 675Mhash while holding about 75-80 degrees. Ive noticed I take a bit more of a hit than I want during the day mode settings. Is there any reason you would suggest not running it at intensity 4? I am able to play the game I play on low settings and still get about 550Mhash with the same temps. Ya know its a complete shame the GTX 680 is such utter crap for mining coins because it does SOOOO well for gaming. lol I guess I cant have it all.
Dynamic makes sure the miner stays in the background and should cause less frame rate loss; if you're willing to put up with lower resolution/settings while gaming by all means use any other intensity level.
675 looks about right, so do the temperatures.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: