Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:17:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The way the game is now played. Miners all getting used machines.  (Read 978 times)
bozo333 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 255

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 01:15:02 PM

The crux of the matter is that miners are now in direct competition with the manufacturers. A game miners cannot win.
I bet it's ALL of them now mining first for 2 months and then selling off the equipment. SPondoolies, Bitmain, etc etc all figured out they can make a lot more money milking their machines first and then making even more dumping them on customers. Hey, I would do the exact same.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptcoin_de

Activity: 269
Merit: 117

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 01:28:56 PM

But to be a real winner, you will need your own ASIC...
All the "real mining winners" have there own ASIC's:
Bitfury, Bitmaintech, Spondoolies, KnC, Cointerra...
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 01:37:30 PM

I'll certainly agree there are SOME manufacturers doing precisely what you're stating, but it is not all of them.  Spondoolies, for example, sent their first SP30s out in July.  If what you say were true, then they'd been mining with those SP30s since May - which simply isn't the case.  They never even received the first of the Rockerbox chips until July, at which point they realized the chips were way off of the specs they had simulated (promised 6TH/s got 4.5TH/s with higher power usage).  Same with Bitmain's S3.  That machine went on sale June 30, so according to you they'd been mining them since April.  Initial specs for the machine were 504GH/s, later reduced to 478GH/s. The actual released machine was 440GH/s because of lousy DC/DC converters.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
bozo333 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 255

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:34:30 PM

I'll certainly agree there are SOME manufacturers doing precisely what you're stating, but it is not all of them.  Spondoolies, for example, sent their first SP30s out in July.  If what you say were true, then they'd been mining with those SP30s since May - which simply isn't the case.  They never even received the first of the Rockerbox chips until July, at which point they realized the chips were way off of the specs they had simulated (promised 6TH/s got 4.5TH/s with higher power usage).  Same with Bitmain's S3.  That machine went on sale June 30, so according to you they'd been mining them since April.  Initial specs for the machine were 504GH/s, later reduced to 478GH/s. The actual released machine was 440GH/s because of lousy DC/DC converters.

Spodoolies may have a slightly different business model as they also offer hosting. And their rates are not really good. No idea if its just them or electricity costs in Israel are just pretty high.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 03:05:44 PM

Spodoolies may have a slightly different business model as they also offer hosting. And their rates are not really good. No idea if its just them or electricity costs in Israel are just pretty high.
They offer the hosting as a convenience, and yes I agree they price it extremely high.  $500 a month is a tough pill to swallow since there are far cheaper options elsewhere.  They don't have the capacity to host a ton of miners.  They've come out and said as much on their thread, which is why they initially partnered with the facility in Washington - further supporting my point that not all companies are pre-mining their hardware before sending it off to customers.  I'm quite sure that Spondoolies didn't ship a boatload of SP30s to Washington, mine them for months, and then decide to ship them back to Israel to send to customers.

Don't get me wrong, I do indeed believe there are companies doing exactly what you're accusing those companies of doing.  I also agree that your average consumer doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of competing with the guys who are producing the rigs if those guys are also mining with them.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
shields

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:19:27 PM

The crux of the matter is that miners are now in direct competition with the manufacturers. A game miners cannot win.

You say it like this wasn't always true?

If you liked this post -> 1KRYhandiYsjecZw7mtdLnoeuKUYoGRkH4
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: