Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:44:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does catching up with the blockchain hammer the disk so much?  (Read 3178 times)
stakhanov (OP)

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:05:01 PM

I'm using bitcoin-qt on Arch linux, and catching up from a long time ago. I've noticed that the hard disk is working very hard all the time. It seems pretty fishy to me, since I'm downloading from a pretty slow DSL line, the disk should be working far less than that. What is going on?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Database transactions require writing a journal, syncing, writing the data, syncing again, and then deleting the journal.  That's a much harder disk hit than linear writes.

Try using the just-released 0.6.0.  The settings have been changed for better disk performance.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
stakhanov (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:09:49 PM

Thanks for your answer. I do have version 0.6x

I wonder if the database commits are simply too close to each other? The blockchain is public information and can always be redownloaded in the even of a crash, there is really no reason to write to the disk several times per second to secure it.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 03:14:05 PM

Thanks for your answer. I do have version 0.6x

I wonder if the database commits are simply too close to each other? The blockchain is public information and can always be redownloaded in the even of a crash, there is really no reason to write to the disk several times per second to secure it.

The hard part is not downloading or storing the block chain. It's building, maintaining and guaranteeing the on-disk consistency of the block and transaction index that is necessary for validation.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Revalin

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:32:19 PM

They used to be much too close; hence the adjustment.

Obviously there's still considerable room for improvement.  Smiley

Edit: And why would you ever quit Bitcoin?  You smell like a traitor.  Smiley

Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
stakhanov (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:40:37 PM

The hard part is not downloading or storing the block chain. It's building, maintaining and guaranteeing the on-disk consistency of the block and transaction index that is necessary for validation.

Well, I suppose you've given it a lot of thought already. But I still have a hard time believing downloading the block chain and creating an index requires all that disk hammering. On my computer, the .bitcoin directory is 1.6GB big. It's big, but not that big. It even fits in the memory of most computers! How can building it require hammering the disk for hours?
Revalin

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:44:30 PM

I was just kidding, but everything you say is correct.  The startup and shutdown times are very high.  SOME disk hit is expected, but it's still quite excessive.

Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 03:45:11 PM

Well, I suppose you've given it a lot of thought already. But I still have a hard time believing downloading the block chain and creating an index requires all that disk hammering. On my computer, the .bitcoin directory is 1.6GB big. It's big, but not that big. It even fits in the memory of most computers! How can building it require hammering the disk for hours?

It takes about half an hour for me, when loading from a local file (a patch that will probably be in 0.7) instead of from the network.

If you have a lot of RAM, you can run it in a RAM drive (if your OS supports that) and watch it fly. Of course, you'll miss the one hard part: not losing or corrupting the on-disk index when your computer crashes.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Revalin

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:51:14 PM

The fact that it's possible to download the whole thing onto a RAM disk, manually copy it to disk, and sync with orders of magnitude less of an IO hit suggests that the DB is doing something pedagogically.

Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 04:02:21 PM

The fact that it's possible to download the whole thing onto a RAM disk, manually copy it to disk, and sync with orders of magnitude less of an IO hit suggests that the DB is doing something pedagogically.

Patches very welcome Smiley

I do Bitcoin stuff.
stakhanov (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:06:41 PM

Patches very welcome Smiley

Just to be clear, this is a perfectly acceptable answer to me! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 05:20:57 PM

You'd believe how much it writes to the disk if you make a new ~8gb disk image, defrag & push all the data to front, and then simply install and run Bitcoin. The blockchain will be fragmented all over the disk from all the writes and erases to the database.
fghj

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 11:37:47 AM

Sorry for necroing this thread, posting something that is obvious to most people (was for me in hindsight) and that will be moot when v0.8 will be released but I didn't found it written anywhere. If you don't have enough RAM for storing entire blockchain in RAMdisk you can put blkindex.dat into RAM and do a symlink to it from datadir. This will also speed up syncing and will require only about 1.8GB of ram instead of 6+GB.
Also remember to copy it back to hard drive when finished
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 02:21:02 PM

Sorry for necroing this thread, posting something that is obvious to most people (was for me in hindsight) and that will be moot when v0.8 will be released but I didn't found it written anywhere. If you don't have enough RAM for storing entire blockchain in RAMdisk you can put blkindex.dat into RAM and do a symlink to it from datadir. This will also speed up syncing and will require only about 1.8GB of ram instead of 6+GB.
Also remember to copy it back to hard drive when finished

Better, buy a 64gb SSD drive (around 50€) and move bitcoin datadir onto it. You should see the difference right away  Wink

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: