Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:40:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I went to Meze Grill today and paid with VISA  (Read 7078 times)
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:37:20 AM

Please understand where I'm coming from, for I'm not dissing Bitcoin by any stretch of the imagination. I'm simply seeking solutions to the damn chicken and egg dilemma. It now seems to me that both aspects need to solved simultaneously for each and every sector. This is not a bad thing, but does require a little more effort for all concerns.

Using Chicago as an example, here's one approach.

A convention/expo/etc. is in town. At this large convention is a booth manned by a dozen Bitcoin Gone Wild girls. Early in the evening, the girls are split up into three groups, now at three different bar type establishments. This event has been billed two weeks in advance, hence now being packed by patrons. These patrons needed to have a Bitcoin wallet already installed on their smartphones prior to showing up for this event. If they don't have bitcoins prior to showing up, they'll be able to purchase some at the venues at a slight premium, which they'll be happen to do so to get a chance to meet and have their picture taken next to a Bitcoin Gone Wild girl.

I'm saving the rest of this post for another thread (guess which one), but wanted to show that there's still a way to make this work for a myriad of real world markets. The key word here is "simultaneously." (damn, I hate putting periods inside quotes--looks to ugly)

~Bruno~

Its not as fun to scan a  girl with a phone as it is to stuff $20 in their g string.

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:18:49 AM

Shouldn't have given up on bitcoin!  If they had simply held onto the bitcoin they earned for meals, could have possibly kept them in business.  Don't convert your bitcoin back to fiat!  HOLD

the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 03:19:54 AM

This sucks,    I ate there for the first bitcoin conference

Took a cab with Roger there from hotel ... 

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 2106

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:30:48 PM

Dollar General now takes PayPal without a debit card via their checkout. You choose PP and give it your phone #, then your PIN.
Simple and fast.

That;s where I saw it.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 05:15:49 PM

From the photo, I could see why Bruce and Ed loved visiting the place so much.
joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 05:41:29 PM

Forget about in-person transactions. That can come later when we have a stronger network of users.

No, DON'T forget about in-person transactions.

The mistake many businesses make when starting to accept Bitcoin is that they expect an increase in turnover quickly. I have seen merchants jump off after 8 weeks because they only got a few extra customers in that time and thought it therefore wasn't worth the effort. But it doesn't work that way.

It does take time but after accepting Bitcoin since sometime in 2011 in our restaurant in Berlin (ROOM77) we can absolutely and definately say that not only has it brought us a lot of media attention but it is actually driving business to our place.

I don't only mean the monthly Berliner Bitcoin-meetups held at our place (we give out too many Pamperos on these evenings to make money on them anyhow Wink). We get reservations from all over the world from people comming to Berlin who know exactly where they want to go for dinner without consulting any restaurant guide and even dragging their local friends to ROOM77 because they want to pay in Bitcoin. I know for a fact that no other bar/restaurant in Berlin of our size and profile is getting that kind of business and this is increasing steadily.

So accepting Bitcoin DOES drive customers to your brick'n'mortar business and if you offer a positive customer-experience you can even turn their non-Bitcoiner friends into regular customers and very often into new Bitcoin-users as well Wink.

Besides, a much better competitor already has us beaten there: cash.

That is not true either. Anyone comming from out of the Euro-zone to Berlin has clear advantages when paying in Bitcoin over having his credit card charged in a foreign currency or changing cash at Western Union. Just do the math.

Joe

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 06:02:46 PM

Forget about in-person transactions. That can come later when we have a stronger network of users.

The mistake many businesses make when starting to accept Bitcoin is that they expect an increase in turnover quickly. I have seen merchants jump off after 8 weeks because they only got a few extra customers in that time and thought it therefore wasn't worth the effort. But it doesn't work that way.

It does take time but after accepting Bitcoin since sometime in 2011 in our restaurant in Berlin (ROOM77) we can absolutely and definately say that not only has it brought us a lot of media attention but it is actually driving business to our place.

I don't only mean the monthly Berliner Bitcoin-meetups held at our place (we give out too many Pamperos on these evenings to make money on them anyhow Wink). We get reservations from all over the world from people comming to Berlin who know exactly where they want to go for dinner without consulting any restaurant guide and even dragging their local friends to ROOM77 because they want to pay in Bitcoin. I know for a fact that no other bar/restaurant in Berlin of our size and profile is getting that kind of business and this is increasing steadily.

So accepting Bitcoin DOES drive customers to your brick'n'mortar business and if you offer a positive customer-experience you can even turn their non-Bitcoiner friends into regular customers and very often into new Bitcoin-users as well Wink.

That is not true either. Anyone comming from out of the Euro-zone to Berlin has clear advantages when paying in Bitcoin over having his credit card charged in a foreign currency or changing cash at Western Union. Just do the math.

Joe

Sounds to me like your place would be a perfect candidate for placement of one of those new Bitcoin ATM machines.

~Bruno K~
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:31:20 PM

This seems to be a scenario that seems to be uncommon in the United States.  If I go anywhere in the US from LA to NYC, it is unlikely I'll have to change my money around at any point. 

And maybe this should define the bitcoin brick and mortar strategy.  Not so much focus on random restaurants, but areas that have a high concentration of foreign tourists and advertise it internationally as a place to eat and save on conversion fees.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:38:51 PM

Joe

well done.  it's called "sticking with it".
joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 06:40:55 PM

This seems to be a scenario that seems to be uncommon in the United States.  If I go anywhere in the US from LA to NYC, it is unlikely I'll have to change my money around at any point. 

I was talking about when you come to the eurozone. You _will_ have to change your USD at some point as nobody accepts USD here (imagine! Wink).

Joe

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:47:30 PM

Shouldn't have given up on bitcoin!  If they had simply held onto the bitcoin they earned for meals, could have possibly kept them in business.  Don't convert your bitcoin back to fiat!  HOLD

just imagine if the Meze Grill owner had saved all the BTC paid to him since day 1 of opening his doors to Bitcoin.  he might have been able to retire by now.

I don't think you can retire on 17 BTC.

Meze Grills' Bitcoin account (the one they had as "a QR code on a big laminated card":
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1MTbKpYWnzqmsLvCjdTtwrvuX81g3HCgC
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:52:30 PM

Joe

QFT

I have wanted to go back to visit Berlin for over a year now, just to eat there!
heatstroke

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 08:22:30 PM

This is thread is getting sad and is putting me in a quagmire. I'm about to embark on the Chicagoland area to get several restaurants, mainly, to accept Bitcoin. Three restaurants are co-owned by what's becoming friends of mine, coupled with supplying them barn wood for past and future restaurants, when they expand, notwithstanding. (damn, I hope that sentence is written correctly)

Can you tell us which restaurants these are?  I'd like to visit them to also support and encourage them to adopt bitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 03:12:29 AM

Shouldn't have given up on bitcoin!  If they had simply held onto the bitcoin they earned for meals, could have possibly kept them in business.  Don't convert your bitcoin back to fiat!  HOLD

just imagine if the Meze Grill owner had saved all the BTC paid to him since day 1 of opening his doors to Bitcoin.  he might have been able to retire by now.

I don't think you can retire on 17 BTC.

Meze Grills' Bitcoin account (the one they had as "a QR code on a big laminated card":
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1MTbKpYWnzqmsLvCjdTtwrvuX81g3HCgC

Looking at that address on BlockChain, I'm thinking that the majority of it came from Bruce and Ed, and that one meal for the two NPR guys who got their coins from MyBitcoin. http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=137795648&m=137803856

Upon revisiting the podcast, something struck me as odd. Jacob and David are instructed by Bruce to go over to the two computers. Bruce sits at one, while Jacob and David are instructed to bring up MyBitcoin (mybitcoin.com). When they do, they learn that the last person setting there forgot to log out, and notice a $400K+ USD account. Bruce said it wasn't his, that it belonged to the guy who sat their last. Later that day is when MyBitcoin was hacked.

Here's my question. How many of you reading this would forget to log out on a computer that belonged to somebody else, given that if you didn't, you may loose everything you have in some financial institute account? For that matter, even if you never forget to log out, who in their right mind would view their personal financial records on somebody else's computer?

Even before Bitcoin, we all knew how foolish such an act would be, hence learning to never do it. I'm curious on how much Meze Grill entrusted Bruce with, perhaps to invest in Bitcoin.

Is there an official New York government website one could go to and search pending litigation? I have a hunch (rhymes with lunch).

~Bruno K~

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: