Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:07:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Gauging Interest] Bitcoin at Burning Man!  (Read 11618 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:55:48 PM

The people who attend Burning Man are not the same people who would use bitcoin. Ever. Period.

Bullshit. I've attended burning man twice and use bitcoin.

I was under the impression that nothing was sold or purchased during Burning Man, but guess I'm mistaken.

Next, I see Yankee/Charlie logged in yesterday.

Finally, an image that may or may not be related: http://www.businessinsider.com/tyler-winklevoss-at-burning-man-2013-9

I'm here..lurkin...

Don't worry PSY, no offense taken  Grin

Hey Bruno! Miss you bro...

Good to see you around with your sense of humour intact, Charlie. Smiley
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 04:31:49 PM

The people who attend Burning Man are not the same people who would use bitcoin. Ever. Period.

Bullshit. I've attended burning man twice and use bitcoin.

I was under the impression that nothing was sold or purchased during Burning Man, but guess I'm mistaken.

Next, I see Yankee/Charlie logged in yesterday.

Finally, an image that may or may not be related: http://www.businessinsider.com/tyler-winklevoss-at-burning-man-2013-9

I'm here..lurkin...

Don't worry PSY, no offense taken  Grin

Hey Bruno! Miss you bro...

Good to see you around with your sense of humour intact, Charlie. Smiley

Charlie is a very likable guy!

I reached out to Charlie's lawyer, telling him that with my post history I could speak with the Judge and put in a good word, but the lawyer claimed that they wanted to win the case, not...

aBITfedUP

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:04:48 AM

If I did go to Burning Man I would certainly avoid any contact with the Bitcoin crew (while at that venue.)  Especially after the SJ 2013 conference and reading down through the posts on this thread.

What happened at the 2013 SJ Conference?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 09:01:36 AM

If I did go to Burning Man I would certainly avoid any contact with the Bitcoin crew (while at that venue.)  Especially after the SJ 2013 conference and reading down through the posts on this thread.

Is that the one where a girl actually showed up there and things got awkward? Tongue
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:23:52 AM

Is that the one where a girl actually showed up there and things got awkward? Tongue

I saw several females, But I could not be very confident about whether they actually had two X chromosomes or not.  This being Bitcoin-land I would not want to make a bet on it.

The aB's question, the clientele struck me as:

- VC types who were primarily interested in making bucks.

- Techie-ish folks who took it as a given that taint was both the way to go and a good thing to eliminate 'crime'.

- People showing of non-sense kludges and scams which one could tell would never go anywhere (primitive cobbled together ATM's with no solution the the big problem (licensing), sea-steading nonsense, hedge fund pools with no interest for any but the most tangential of risk considerations, etc.

- Josh Zerlan

In fairness I saw some things which impressed me as well, but, just as the meetup I attended at my place of work, the event was largely underwhelming.  To me.  I'm sure a lot of others had a blast.  Actually the thing was not un-fun, but I did not really resonate with the crowd is all.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Intaryna

Activity: 342

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:15:59 PM

The event industry will definitely love bitcoin- low fees and no chargeback risk changes the game. No need for a merchant acquiring bank in order to sell tickets online!

(I will also be buying a few gift tickets this year if BMORG accepts bitcoin!)
tidda

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:28:51 PM

The event industry will definitely love bitcoin- low fees and no chargeback risk changes the game. No need for a merchant acquiring bank in order to sell tickets online!

Not to mention no ticketmaster.
Cenenigo

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:40:25 PM

Not to mention no ticketmaster.

Forgive me if I misread you, but I would think that Ticketmaster would hate bitcoin - an open financial transaction network. My take on Ticketmaster is that they unashamedly work to maintain a monopoly to charge highly profitable fees on every transaction.
Jubettarr

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:43:23 PM

I'll gladly be the world's first recipient of a burning man ticket purchased with BTC as long as you're the first gifter of a burning man ticket with BTC.
Cenenigo

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:48:11 PM

This might just be the deciding factor for me to attend this year.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:16:40 PM

They need tickets to be back under $500.
I read somewhere that the Gov't (permits) makes it hard/impossible to increase the total amount of tickets sold...  ...such a shame.

tidda

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:35:10 PM

Forgive me if I misread you, but I would think that Ticketmaster would hate bitcoin - an open financial transaction network. My take on Ticketmaster is that they unashamedly work to maintain a monopoly to charge highly profitable fees on every transaction.

I meant that Bitcoin would make ticketmaster not needed. Ticketmaster ia basically a monopoly when it comes to ticket sales. Bitcoin would let venues go around ticketmaster and cut out a very expensive middleman in the ticket buying process.
tidda

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:41:26 PM

Just my opinion, obviously. But I can't explain why venues can't do without ticketmaster currently, so there is probably a big step I'm.missing.
666uazan

Activity: 185
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:42:02 PM

Bitcoin would let venues go around ticketmaster and cut out a very expensive middleman in the ticket buying process.

They can already do this, by setting up their own ticket exchange and accepting paypal payments or just having a CC clearinghouse account.
666uazan

Activity: 185
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:48:15 PM

Bitcoin would let venues go around ticketmaster and cut out a very expensive middleman in the ticket buying process.

I think that the venues actually make more money selling through ticketmaster, even though it costs their customers more. I recall reading about booking deals TM has with venues and labels, which work in everyone but the artist's and customer's favor. Of course, the only two people in the transaction that are there for anything other than profit are the watcher and the performer (most artists, imo)..
Fucking capitalism.
Riniaiokl

Activity: 48

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:56:50 PM

They can already do this, by setting up their own ticket exchange and accepting paypal payments or just having a CC clearinghouse account.

I think that the venues actually make more money selling through ticketmaster, even though it costs their customers more. I recall reading about booking deals TM has with venues and labels, which work in everyone but the artist's and customer's favor. Of course, the only two people in the transaction that are there for anything other than profit are the watcher and the performer (most artists, imo)..
Fucking capitalism.

Maybe someone will build something that lets people fund event expenses via a kickstarter approach- minimum tickets sold = event funded and booked.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:39:55 PM

I meant that Bitcoin would make ticketmaster not needed. Ticketmaster ia basically a monopoly when it comes to ticket sales. Bitcoin would let venues go around ticketmaster and cut out a very expensive middleman in the ticket buying process.

Burning Man is a big money making business controlled by Black Rock City LLC. Why don't you contact them and see of they would be interested in direct sales for Bitcoin. The way the Org covers up all the deaths, rapes and accidents at BM every year I'm sure they are all about profit. Just tell them a way they can increase their profit and it should be easy to sell them on it.

http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/people/project_bio.html

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 12:08:04 AM

Burning Man is a big money making business controlled by Black Rock City LLC. Why don't you contact them and see of they would be interested in direct sales for Bitcoin. The way the Org covers up all the deaths, rapes and accidents at BM every year I'm sure they are all about profit. Just tell them a way they can increase their profit and it should be easy to sell them on it.

http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/people/project_bio.html

Please link to credible evidence that Black Rock City LLC is literally covering up "rapes and deaths" at Burning Man, or consider retracting your (potentially) reckless slander.

STAyre

Activity: 62

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:38:15 AM

Do it, ive been going for three years and don't regret a single moment of it. Hell, I'd even be down to run some sort of btc event out there to spread the word if you want.
Bynavama

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:14:22 AM

Do it, ive been going for three years and don't regret a single moment of it. Hell, I'd even be down to run some sort of btc event out there to spread the word if you want.

It fits in so well with BM culture, but lands in an awkward spot by being a money/value/commodity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Man#Decommodification)

It will play a bigger role out there this year, and I am sure there will be more discussions about it. PM me about your event, I would love to make something with you if I end up going.
It would be great if they accepted BTC at the Center Camp Café Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: