Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 09:46:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Received This Response From My 2nd Rnd of Interviews w/ PayPal  (Read 1396 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Paleus (OP)

Activity: 284
Merit: 122

www.diginomics.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 05:45:42 AM

Lately I've been doing some interviews with PayPal and after going in for a second interview, they responded promptly with a hiring decision:

After careful review with the team, we have decided to move forward with another candidate at this time. We were very lucky to have several candidates express interest in the role and therefore had a difficult decision to make. There was no negative feedback in specific from your interviews, we just found an individual who had a strong understanding of the payments space and therefore decided to proceed with them.

I hope you are not too disappointed, we would definitely have no hesitations considering you for other opportunities within eBay so feel free to stay in touch if you see any other opportunities that you feel are a good fit.

Now, I want to preface this by saying the point of this post is not to show that I got turned down by PayPal, but give a sense of their perception toward the concept of bitcoin, and from what I felt their complete lack of internal awareness on how it affects their business model.

I went in and had my 2nd round of interviewing with one of the marketing managers for PayPal Canada. This person was friendly and smart. The longer the interview went on, the more it felt like an interesting conversation than an actual interview. I was eager to learn more about the position while demonstrating how I could help the firm help engage SMBs across the country and "create new streams of revenue" as the posting said, as well as "go-to-market plans that drive additional sustainable growth".

Early and often I mentioned the idea of integrating bitcoin as a payment option. This seemed to be met with apathy from the interviewer and other coworkers in the office who I chatted with briefly. Some had never even heard of it. Others commented "I suppose if you want to buy illicit drugs".

Regardless, I told the interviewer that this type of technology would serve a demographic in Canada which is largely untapped, as many merchants are plagued by traditional merchant charges associated with credit card purchases and PayPal's conventional fee model. The adoption of bitcoin is only growing, and most viably so with the small and medium business sector. Merchants want to learn how to use this bold new design of money. Adopting it as a payment option would surely open a channel of new merchants.

If PayPal were to adopt bitcoin as a payment option, that would open a new stream of revenue from a SMB standpoint which would widen their revenue stream. Just ask the ones who have already done this. Overstock.com anyone?

Seeing as they decided to go with an "individual who had a strong understanding of the payments space", perhaps they got their guru who had a plan on how to engage new business with the same old options. To me, it was borderline shocking how out of touch some of the employees of the world's largest ecommerce business were in regards to emerging payment technologies. Perhaps they made a conscious decision to shun the light that is bitcoin, or perhaps I just wore the wrong style of tie ...

We may never know.

BTC

TP

deepestfear

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:52:21 AM

Well, you had a lucky escape
Thank your stars! Wink

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:08:15 AM

Not long ago I read something like paypal is considering to involve BTC. The lower level employees may not know the true. But the top management probably is considering adoption of btc.

commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:59:03 PM

Now you can just focus on finding a job at a place that is friendlier toward Bitcoin or maybe your own business that accepts Bitcoin as a payment option.
BTCewdquestion

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:06:16 PM

Now you can just focus on finding a job at a place that is friendlier toward Bitcoin or maybe your own business that accepts Bitcoin as a payment option.

and earn 0.019/hr

Might actually be a fair trade.. but time will tell
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:06:21 PM

"Yeah, let me buy drugs with bitcoin through PayPal. Right.....

That defeats the fucking purpose of buying drugs with a semi-anonymous currency, you moron!"

r3c4ll

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:33:31 PM

Not long ago I read something like paypal is considering to involve BTC. The lower level employees may not know the true. But the top management probably is considering adoption of btc.

I'm agree with chennan, the top management surely is studing and evaluating the adoption of Bitcoin!

Paleus (OP)

Activity: 284
Merit: 122

www.diginomics.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 03:46:50 PM

I already run my own bitcoin business which accepts bitcoin as a payment option for a book describing bitcoin's effect on the world economy. Take a look: http://diginomics.com/publications.html

Maybe I need to mail a copy and have it delivered to PayPal's head office? Now there's an idea . . .

TheAccountant

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:58:19 PM

It is a problem that established tech companies will always face, disruptive technologies.  The good ones adapt, the bad one's ignore the white elephant.  Sounds like you are lucky to have avoided a company like that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: