Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:37:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Joining different wallet files into a single one  (Read 1089 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 08:18:59 AM

Is there any service to join different wallet files ("wallet.dat") into a single one?
I think this would be a great service for blockchain.info, for instance.
You would just drag in as many wallets as you wanted and get a single one with all the data from the merge.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:20:25 AM

Is there any service to join different wallet files ("wallet.dat") into a single one?
You would just drag in as many wallets as you wanted and get a single one with all the data from the merge.
I was about to ask the same question.
Over the months I've collected quite a few wallets which I would like to merge into 1.

Although they are mostly empty, Satoshi said you should never delete a wallet.
btmtb

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

Scam-Busting PSA: Beware of Black Arrow Software

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:26:44 AM

I might be missing something obvious as I was going to ask why you wouldn't just transfer the funds into a single unified wallet, it's slightly more effort up-front but will help keep thing simplified in the long run - assuming you don't need to keep the specific addresses. I assume you want to keep your old addresses, but can't understand why. If it's to keep the funds separated for privacy then surely allocating them to multiple addresses within the same wallet (whether it be blockchain, qt etc) would achieve the same thing?
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:28:30 AM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 11:27:08 AM by sandykho47

I think it's impossible  Sad
How about you send all bitcoin to address on same wallet.dat

That's easier  Grin

Edit : maybe you can use apps that support multi wallet.dat

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 08:48:41 AM

I don't think this is possible if I'm understanding you correctly. Although you can import private keys, each wallet can only have 100 addresses (assuming you're using default Qt software). If you use a different wallet software, like Armory, you can have an nearly an infinite number of addresses for a single wallet because it's "deterministic". I believe Armory can also manage multiple wallets also, although you can't just import wallet.dat from Qt.

RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:15:01 AM

Probably it's not possible , but wait ... blockchain have a Desktop wallet windows ? only thing I've found was for MAC  Huh  Huh

findftp
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:49:16 AM

Probably it's not possible , but wait ... blockchain have a Desktop wallet windows ? only thing I've found was for MAC  Huh  Huh
Why wouldn't it be possible?
If I export a wallet in JSON format, you can see all keys, private and public.
When I think of it, I think I could build a merger myself (although I'm not a real coder and it would end up being buggy)
Dogtanian

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:55:36 AM

This would actually be a good idea, but I have no idea if it's even feasible or not. I'm not really an expert behind the actualt technology, but isn't there a way to import the private keys so why not a way to import them all from several wallets?
The00Dustin

Activity: 807

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 12:53:40 PM

Bitcoin Core can have more than 100 addresses, it starts with 100.
With a Bitcoin Core wallet it was once possible with a utility called pywallet.  The person making that software decided to rewrite from scratch several versions ago, and the old software he had written only works with older wallet.dat files.  I don't know if the new software for the current wallet.dat files got completed or not.
findftp
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:31:10 PM

Bitcoin Core can have more than 100 addresses, it starts with 100.
With a Bitcoin Core wallet it was once possible with a utility called pywallet.  The person making that software decided to rewrite from scratch several versions ago, and the old software he had written only works with older wallet.dat files.  I don't know if the new software for the current wallet.dat files got completed or not.

Maybe Bitcoin Core Wallet converts old wallets into new ones when you export it again?
That mean, shut off bitcoin core, replace wallet.dat with older wallet.dat, start bitcoin core, export wallet.dat.
The00Dustin

Activity: 807

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:41:45 PM

Maybe Bitcoin Core Wallet converts old wallets into new ones when you export it again?
That mean, shut off bitcoin core, replace wallet.dat with older wallet.dat, start bitcoin core, export wallet.dat.
Yes, Bitcoin Core rescans and updates wallets.  However, the OP wants to merge wallets, and I assume the OP is not running an old enough version to have old wallets if even running Bitcoin Core, so this behavior is the opposite of what would be needed to achieve the desired functionality using the old pywallet software.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: