Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:39:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Error opening block database. Do you want to rebuild the block database now?"  (Read 1936 times)
argaostar (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:30:35 AM

I make a new thread, since the other one is old:

Hello guys, I will try to lift this thread and tell a story about a strange behavior on my PC two days ago.
I have had bitcoin core on my PC for just a few days.
I believe it all started with with FSX Flightsimulator did not start up. I made a repair on it, and was reading tips on the net how to get it up and running again.
I was not able to solve it that night, and closed down the computer.
The next morning i connected to the net, Mozilla Firefox would not start. Or, I got the message it was already up and running, but it did not respond. Following advices on Mozillas home page
did not help, it was not to be seen in task manager, or not possible to close it anywhere. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled the program. Then it worked fine.
What I discovered at the same time, was that several icons on my desktop had disappeared.

And today when I wanted to open bitcoin-core, the icon was gone, even on the start menu.
I had to go to the files, and start it from the exe file. When starting, I got the messages you guys had here. Made a try a couple of times, and downloaded a new one, but same result.

Looking in the file folder, I find only these files:
daemon
doc
bitcoin-qt.exe
copying.txt
readme.txt
uninstall.exe

Should it not be more files?

Now, this morning I am trembling of nervousity, have I lost my bitcoins??

The HDD is only one year old, I have 300 Gb of free space.
Yesterday I did a maintenance with AVG PC Tune up and Bitdefender. That was after the icons disappeared on the desktop.

Can also mention that AVG PC Tune up, also have a strange behavior today. It give a error message and ask if I want to send a report.
Then it crashes.

I guess it will not help to make a system recovery?

Been working with computers for many years, but this is a new experience.
If I have lost the bitcoins, as I today understand, probably is stored on the pc, I am in chock.
Tried to read through this thread, but can not keep my mind clear. Besides it seems like my problem here is of an another dimension.
I use Bitdefender total security, but still, there could be a hidden intruding from outside....
CryptInvest
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 10:52:52 AM

Sounds like a problem with hdd drive or action of the virus. Depending on the version Windows system of your Bitcoins are stored in the user folder on the C: drive in the file wallet.dat. Save it in a safe place, and better transfer Bitcoins in a new purse.
argaostar (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:38:01 AM

Hi!

by continue searching, I found the wallet.dat file. It was under Appdata roaming bitcoin. Found the answer in this forum, THANK YOU GUYS!!!!
Made a copy to an another hdd, and will now copy to a usb memory.
I was not aware of that the bitcoins was stored in my computer that way, I am new to all this.

Also I have Bitdefender on my PC, and have today got help from them. I have sent logs to them to check the entire computer.

Since bitcoin core does not work now, should I uninstall it?

I do have bitcoin core on my laptop as well, can I copy the wallet.dat file to the program there?
how to proceed?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 12:23:23 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 01:15:39 PM by shorena

-snip-

I do have bitcoin core on my laptop as well, can I copy the wallet.dat file to the program there?
how to proceed?

If you have no coins on your laptops wallet and never gave one of the addresses to someone else who could pay you in the future you can just:

- shutdown bitcoin core
- delete wallet.dat
- copy backup wallet.dat at the same place
- run bitcoin core from console with -rescan

In case you have coins there backup the old wallet.dat so you can switch. But that will start to be annoying, so better send all the coins from one wallet to the other and have a single file.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
argaostar (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 12:36:26 PM

Thanks,
 I have no coins on the laptop, only installed the program. Reason; will be out of country later this year for a long period, so I wanted to bring it with me.

So I delete the unused wallet.dat file on the unused bitcoin program on the laptop, and replace it with the backup one I have now, and then open bitcoin and it will be running as the other one did. Correct?
Later I can make addresses between them and send bitcoin back.
Got this knowledge so far Smiley

If Bitcoin still is corrupt, and i uninstall it, will even the debug, chain, database and blocks be deleted, or will they stay put?

I learn every day, sometimes from huge errors I make Smiley
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 01:22:08 PM

Thanks,
 I have no coins on the laptop, only installed the program. Reason; will be out of country later this year for a long period, so I wanted to bring it with me.

So I delete the unused wallet.dat file on the unused bitcoin program on the laptop, and replace it with the backup one I have now, and then open bitcoin and it will be running as the other one did. Correct?

Well when you first open it, you must do so with -rescan. E.g. (I assume Windows, because you had .exe files Wink ) via
- Win + R
- c:\program files\bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -rescan
- ok

step 2 needs to be different if you are not using the default path. This is to make sure that the client knows as much about the new private keys and addresses as possible and whether they have received any coins etc.

-snip-
If Bitcoin still is corrupt, and i uninstall it, will even the debug, chain, database and blocks be deleted, or will they stay put?

Not sure about this. If you do not want to download the whole blockchain again you can backup the blocks folder.

argaostar (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:14:01 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 02:25:22 PM by argaostar

Shorena,
 I tried to follow your advice, but bitminter opens with same error and question, then when clicking on abort or ok, it close down.
That is on my stationary computer.
It refuse to start normally.

I use win 7 on that one, and win 8 on the laptop.
could not get "run" on the laptop, probably different?

Gave it a try, copied the wallet file to the laptop, opened bitminter, and Viola, there it was, as nothing happen.
seems like my day ends with sucess at last.

Will uninstall bitminter on the computer and reinstall it.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 03:36:03 PM

Thanks,

Later I can make addresses between them and send bitcoin back.
Got this knowledge so far Smiley

The blocks and database will still be there even after you delete wallet. I have uninstalled a few times and the blocks were there till I formatted hard disk.

Kindly,
        MZ

argaostar (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:32:35 PM

ok, so i moved my bitcoin to the other wallet plus on a usb.
Made an uninstall of bitminter on my stationary one, but that did not complete.
When I try to uninstall it now, I get message to wait (have done for hours Smiley  )
"please wait until current program is finished uninstalling or being changed"

Made a new install, but that did not help. same message, error opening etc. etc.
So how to uninstall all and start with a new one ?
Can not uninstall via control panel, program and f.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 07:56:54 PM

When I try to uninstall it now, I get message to wait (have done for hours Smiley  )

Made a new install, but that did not help. same message, error opening etc. etc.

Sorry I have no idea about bitminter, probably best to make a new thread about that in mining support.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 09:36:57 AM

Restart your computer and try to uninstall it once more. If the message is still showing, download and install revouninstaller and uninstall the app with it. You may have to restart your computer before uninstalling.

Edit : Logging off may work instead of restart. Smiley

~~MZ~~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: