Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:00:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it necessary to download the new bitcoin update?  (Read 1837 times)
matteumayo (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 05:30:11 PM

I've never updated my bitcoin, and I'm on 3.20 BETA.

How does the update process work? 

I'm just wondering because I sent coins quite a while ago and they're still unconfirmed, with 8 connections.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 05:58:24 PM

I think it is not necessary.

The update simply replaces the installation with new version. It does not touch your wallet.

There need to be created 6 blocks to confirm the transaction, it can take 1 hour or more.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:04:30 PM

I recommend updating to 0.3.21 since it has important bug fixes. I would update on a case by case basis depending on what fix or features added.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:05:18 PM

I've never updated my bitcoin, and I'm on 3.20 BETA.

How does the update process work?  

I'm just wondering because I sent coins quite a while ago and they're still unconfirmed, with 8 connections.

This is WHY you need to update your client. The new version would have informed you that the transaction needed a fee to be processed. Now, it may take several hours or even days before it gets processed.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:11:09 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2011, 08:04:18 PM by mewantsbitcoins

matteumayo you can use any version you like, but .21 has some new features that you may take advantage of. Like UPnP for example. To update first backup your wallet. Then download the binary or source from bitcoin.org, unistall the previous version and install the new one. Thats it. If something goes wrong you'll still have your backup wallet and will be able to restore your coins.

Regarding unconfirmed coins, it may be due to several reasons:
1. Like Hawkix said, you need to wait for six blocks to be generated.
2. If it was a low amount and you did not include a fee it may be delayed, because we have more and more transactions and priority is given to big, old and paid for transactions

If you download new version and turn on UPnP, your node will be better connected with the network and you should see more than 8 connections. This should help the process too
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:48:22 PM

matteumayo you can use any version you like, but .21 has some new features that you may take advantage of. Like UPnP for example. To update first backup your wallet. Then download the binary or source from bitcoin.org, unistall the previous version and install the new one. Thats it. If something goes wrong you'll still have your backup wallet and will be able to restore your coins.

2. If it was a low amount and you did not include a fee it may be delayed, because we have more and more transactions and priority is given to big, old and paid for transactions

If you download new version and turn on UPnP, your node will be better connected with the network and you should see more than 8 connections. This should help the process too

how do u turn on UPnP?
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 02:49:09 PM

how do u turn on UPnP?

in the settings -> options -> there is a check box
CydeWeys

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 04:37:07 PM

As a general best practice you should be running the most recent version of software that doesn't introduce show-stopping regressions.  Things do indeed get fixed over time (generally; some software projects are better at this than others, of course).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: