Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:09:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: #IceBucketChallenge in honor of Hal Finney and bringing Awareness to ALS  (Read 2798 times)
defaced (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 03:16:49 PM

Hello my name is Christopher Franko, as you are all aware of the #IceBucketChallenge I decided to do it in order to show my support of Hal Finney and to do my part in bringing attention to ALS.

For more information about how you can help bring awareness and to ALS check out this link:

http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

All bitcoin donated will be sent to the ALS community to help fund research.

175Bqj5zjsvQP5DWYch6tLCUnhVmXPxVT8

The Video: http://youtu.be/-phN1Xtrq_I

I also Challenge:

Gregory Simon, Sean Dennis, From ribbit.me
 Gavin Andresen,
 Elizabeth Ploshay,
  Christopher Ellis,
 and Tom from Mad Bitcoins

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
1CoolNewb

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:37:06 PM

Guidestar.org   Check it out before donating!!

Less than 30% of your money donated gets used to help people with ALS or R&D for ALS. Less than 30%!!! 0.30 cents per 1 usd. $30 per $100 usd. The person that runs ALS.org gets PAID!!! $320,000 IN 2012. The most recent tax filings. The % paid to run the "charity" *cough* operating costs, are greater than the % given out to help! A true travesty!!

It's a shitty charity!! This "Ice Bucket Challenge" is ridiculous!

iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:17:56 PM

glad to see someone else is h elping spread awareness! and people, please remember, don't just do the ice bucket challenge, also please donate as well! so many ppl on my facebook are ignorant and just doing the challenge to be cool because it went viral, please at least donate 10 or 20 bucks and then spread the word!!!

good job!
Jordan23

Activity: 382
Merit: 311

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:41:55 PM

You should challenge Satoshi
dumbdragon

Activity: 588
Merit: 354

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:29:19 PM

Less than 30% of your money donated gets used to help people with ALS or R&D for ALS. Less than 30%!!! 0.30 cents per 1 usd. $30 per $100 usd. The person that runs ALS.org gets PAID!!! $320,000 IN 2012. The most recent tax filings. The % paid to run the "charity" *cough* operating costs, are greater than the % given out to help! A true travesty!!

You know nothing about 3rd sector organisational structure clearly.

$320k is not that much for director of a charity.

Charities are immensely complicated and require professionals to run them like any organisation.

Every $ donated helps the cause, but the 70% you quote makes the 30% spent more efficient.

Calling it a shitty charity and the ice bucket challenge ridiculous is hugely ignorant.

defaced (OP)
Legendary

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 11:54:53 PM

Thank you guys for all your support!

Fortune Favors the Brave
itsAj

Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:08:45 AM

This person has very little trust. I would personally not want to donate via someone with this amount of trust. I have personally already both taken the ice bucket challenge to spread awareness and donated a significant amount of fiat money to this cause. I do think that BTC related donations does have potential for ALS research but I think it should be done in a more reputable way.
defaced (OP)
Legendary

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 01:12:45 PM

This person has very little trust. I would personally not want to donate via someone with this amount of trust. I have personally already both taken the ice bucket challenge to spread awareness and donated a significant amount of fiat money to this cause. I do think that BTC related donations does have potential for ALS research but I think it should be done in a more reputable way.

I have little trust? lol That means alot coming from someone that noone knows. You dont have to send btc to me at all that is why I provided all the contact information for ALS, sending fiat is GREAT! But for the crypto community that may want to donate BTC I can do that completely transparently, gotta love blockchain technology <3 Thanks for your input and I hope you have a great day!

Fortune Favors the Brave
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:38:53 PM

I would have to agree.  30% is terrible.  I helped start two charities - one end of 1998 into early 1999 that I stayed on the Board for 5 years - and has as of 2014 now donated more than $25 million for cancer research.  The people who started it were volunteers and yes, we paid a few professionals (attorneys and accountants, but many donated time) but nothing like 70% overhead, maybe 1% for filing fees and the like. 

ALS is a terrible disease and donating to it is very worthwhile, but using only 30% for research is, as 1CoolNewb said, a travesty.  If this guy really cared, he'd be taking 1/5th or 1/4th of what he is getting paid.

The other way to donate is to look at researchers at Universities who are actually doing research, and donating directly to the University for that department or researcher.  Then there is no overhead and you do more good.

defaced (OP)
Legendary

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 02:51:01 PM

I would have to agree.  30% is terrible.  I helped start two charities - one end of 1998 into early 1999 that I stayed on the Board for 5 years - and has as of 2014 now donated more than $25 million for cancer research.  The people who started it were volunteers and yes, we paid a few professionals (attorneys and accountants, but many donated time) but nothing like 70% overhead, maybe 1% for filing fees and the like. 

ALS is a terrible disease and donating to it is very worthwhile, but using only 30% for research is, as 1CoolNewb said, a travesty.  If this guy really cared, he'd be taking 1/5th or 1/4th of what he is getting paid.

The other way to donate is to look at researchers at Universities who are actually doing research, and donating directly to the University for that department or researcher.  Then there is no overhead and you do more good.

Yea that is a good idea. ^_^

Fortune Favors the Brave
Kayex

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:00:11 PM

I vowed not to do the ice bucket challenge since california is undergoing a serious drought rigt now.

defaced (OP)
Legendary

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 03:27:46 PM

I vowed not to do the ice bucket challenge since california is undergoing a serious drought rigt now.

You can do the California Dirt Bucket challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSx83WNNo6M

Fortune Favors the Brave
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:31:12 PM

glad to see someone else is h elping spread awareness! and people, please remember, don't just do the ice bucket challenge, also please donate as well! so many ppl on my facebook are ignorant and just doing the challenge to be cool because it went viral, please at least donate 10 or 20 bucks and then spread the word!!!

good job!

Yeah I noticed kids and people taking on the icebucket challenge and really dont have understanding that is a charity act for ALS,  I didnt see video saying they are going to donate any funds nor any nominate anyone for it.  I feel like calling them and asking why did you add ice in a bucket of water and splash yourself, was you bored?

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:39:27 PM

Yup there are no excuses Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML3zaY5FZ9E

Great work OP.  Nice to see a challenge video with a focus on the cause Cheesy
dumbdragon

Merit: 354

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:09:51 PM

I wonder what the next charity fad, pushed by viral social media, will be.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:17:35 PM

Hi you have to also realize that ALS didn't get much support before. They've made 56 million already, 30% of that isn't going to be the only amount given. If you only make 2 million in donations.. And your expenses are high, obviously a lower % will be used for research. Their bills will stay the same.. So more will go for research.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:18:59 PM

Warm 10 Gallon of Shit Challenge introduced: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=752435.0
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:08:42 PM

Warm 10 Gallon of Shit Challenge introduced: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=752435.0

Update: Now on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2eawbv/warm_10_gallon_bucket_of_shit_challenge/
CharHill

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 10:18:55 PM

Hello my name is Christopher Franko, as you are all aware of the #IceBucketChallenge I decided to do it in order to show my support of Hal Finney and to do my part in bringing attention to ALS.

For more information about how you can help bring awareness and to ALS check out this link:

http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

All bitcoin donated will be sent to the ALS community to help fund research.

175Bqj5zjsvQP5DWYch6tLCUnhVmXPxVT8

The Video: http://youtu.be/-phN1Xtrq_I

I also Challenge:

Gregory Simon, Sean Dennis, From ribbit.me
 Gavin Andresen,
 Elizabeth Ploshay,
  Christopher Ellis,
 and Tom from Mad Bitcoins

Stupid challenge, because i take cold shower every day.
Kayex

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 12:09:26 AM

Yup there are no excuses Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML3zaY5FZ9E

Great work OP.  Nice to see a challenge video with a focus on the cause Cheesy
Well I have donated $30 to the cause.
But seriously?
The california dirt bucket challenge?
You're going to have to wash the dirt off anyways. Lol

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: