Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:58:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How Much Would You Pay To Access the private alternative web to Tor by DRK?
Over $1 / day
$1 / day
$0.75 / day
$0.50 / day
$0.25 / day
$0.1 / day
$ 0.05 / day
Nothing

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Darkcoin's Alternative To Tor  (Read 2202 times)
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:23:01 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 07:34:50 PM by coins101

Darkcoin has announced its first major pay per access service to run through its Master Nodes:

Utilizing the Masternode network - DarkTor

One of the future goals is to turn the masternode network into a decentralized business for masternode operators. To do this we’ll add features that improve the privacy of end users and compete with centralized businesses. Our first endeavor into this is to make a completely private tor network within Darkcoin.

The Darkcoin network will begin to offer anonymous internet access via the masternode network. As a user, all you’ll have to do is pay a fee for 24 hours of access. This fee will be paid to a masternode in much the same way the masternode fees are paid, using a deterministic algorithm for distributing the payments evenly across the whole network.

There’s a few benefits to running a private tor network through Darkcoin.
Sybil resistant - Due to the cost of obtaining masternodes, it will be very difficult for any one person to view all traffic.

Anonymous Payments - Users can pay anonymously for the service Private Network - Our tor network will be internal to darkcoin only. All traffic will be paid traffic, so the cost of running the service should be profitable for the masternode operators.

Faster than tor - Tor has historically been very slow. This will be a lean version, that has much higher throughput.

As for the cost of the service we’re thinking $0.50 per day or something to that effect.

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-update-august-19-2014.2086/

How much would you pay, if anything, to access a decentralised version of Tor, which could be called Iris (no name as yet)?

Payments will likely start with DRK, possibly adding BTC and other crypto.

Why is this important?

This pricing is how Master Nodes could be worth quite a lot in the years to come:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DRKCoin/comments/2e489p/darktor_valuation/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 07:59:56 PM

You made a big mistake when you added the option nothing.
Only either someone who hates DRK, is trying to troll or spread FUD will vote that. This solution, if one day release will be amazing there is no reason no to pay for it. $0.1 to $0.2 a day would be enough I think.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 08:12:42 PM

Why should i buy darkcoins Tor access when i could just use a VPN ?
What happens when the government comes knocking at your VPNs door?  Roll Eyes

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
mistercashking
Legendary

Activity: 1044
Merit: 1050

@MRCASHKING

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 08:17:29 PM

25 cents is the most I would pay. So Try to  Make it cheaper than that. lol
Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:30:10 PM

The privacy and liberty should be free.
spud21

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:32:45 PM

Why should i buy darkcoins Tor access when i could just use a VPN ?
What happens when the government comes knocking at your VPNs door?  Roll Eyes

I'm no expert, but I remember someone who sounded like one who said tor had been beaten a number of times. It was quite a few years ago, but it sounded like a user thought it was unbreakable, but someone in authority tracked their traffic anyway. If it's true it must have been a very rare event, but occasionally someone got tracked.
nsimmons

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

masternode operators should just pay for servers and bandwidth out of their pocket, then give you a service for free?

Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:34:51 PM

I agree and I'm very excited with what Evan's doing. TOR is funded in part by the U.S government lol...We need a "version" of TOR where it's decentralized etc. This boosts Darkcoin to new levels. Cheesy

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Lebubar
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:38:34 PM

masternode operators should just pay for servers and bandwidth out of their pocket, then give you a service for free?

We are already been paid in DRK 20%, if this increase the price of DRK it may be enough (imagine 1DRK @100$) and for the moment we have more or less one payment every 2 days...

We must find a maner that the people that want use it need DRK...
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:47:04 PM

I voted 0.25 USD a day since this is a reasonable cost of a VPN. Nevertheless one needs to be convinced that is setup provides a level of anonymity at least equal to that of TOR with much better performance. Essentially a paid version of TOR. By the way I hold XMR as an investment and no DRK so this is strictly from the point of view of a comparison with TOR.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
othe

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:55:36 PM

I voted 0.25 USD a day since this is a reasonable cost of a VPN. Nevertheless one needs to be convinced that is setup provides a level of anonymity at least equal to that of TOR with much better performance. Essentially a paid version of TOR. By the way I hold XMR as an investment and no DRK so this is strictly from the point of view of a comparison with TOR.

It cant, tor is only resonable secure because of its sheer amount of users.
Not to mention that every exitnode can sniff traffic and tor itself makes more sense for internal onion browsing and not as a bridge to the www.
then u need a browserbundle which is perfectly tight at security. And tons of tordir and bridgeservers, middlenodes etc.
And the legal problems... makes sense to earn 20 cent a day and risk jail for that.

And if u think you can make that better than a million funded and 10 year old project with a shitton of security experts you must be totally insane.

nsimmons

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:57:58 PM

We are already been paid in DRK 20%, if this increase the price of DRK it may be enough (imagine 1DRK @100$) and for the moment we have more or less one payment every 2 days...

We are being paid for mixing coins, more services require more payment. Or are you one of those people who think their should be caps on how much others are allowed to make. If there is the possibility im going to have illegal activity run though my node don't you think I should be compensated more than someone who just mixes coin?

RadDragon

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

Sound science

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 09:01:57 PM

Mandatory payment for an anonymity still begets a less than free feeling

BTC donations: 13aybLjCevCow87LaQQ3CtsFLMgBFchs3Y
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:13:19 PM

voted nothing ofc

~CfA~

Lebubar
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:16:04 PM

We are being paid for mixing coins, more services require more payment. Or are you one of those people who think their should be caps on how much others are allowed to make. If there is the possibility im going to have illegal activity run though my node don't you think I should be compensated more than someone who just mixes coin?

It depend on how this will work.

If it's completly independant of DRK : not using nether DRK, nether blockchaoin, nether the darcoind, but only using "unused" ressource of the MN server (cpu, bandwith) well then can make a private secure anonymus network ok and been paid in $.

But if in way or another it use the DRK (need to have 10 or wathever DRK in a wallet) to use it free then this give value at DRK and DRK can be used to give liberty where people need it, so this make DRK known and if the two things are linked then no need to be paid in $ but receive eventually some fee or something but this will give value to DRK, and this will return to better earning for MN.
vertoe

Activity: 518
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:18:23 PM

I have to agree, this should be free.
Lebubar
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:22:22 PM

We are talking about freedom, liberty for privacy and now you are all becoming Masternodes buzinessman?

Why make and use a decentralize currency ? To not depend on government, bank system, ... that tax you, that say to you what is "good" what is "bad".

If this give value to DRK then it's "win-win".

Edit : another very simple example : whatsApp is free, but was bough by Facebook billions and billions.
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:44:29 PM

We are talking about freedom, liberty for privacy and now you are all becoming Masternodes buzinessman?

Why make and use a decentralize currency ? To not depend on government, bank system, ... that tax you, that say to you what is "good" what is "bad".

If this give value to DRK then it's "win-win".

Edit : another very simple example : whatsApp is free, but was bough by Facebook billions and billions.

+101
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 09:48:29 PM

Exactly why is to so hard to pay 5-6$ for this a month? The costs are quite low if you ask me for what it offers.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:58:12 PM

It can't be free as it will add additional expense for the masternode operators. Bandwidth isn't free.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: