Bitcoin Forum
July 18, 2024, 01:24:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A concept for a crypto search  (Read 827 times)
Intermatic (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:40:11 PM

The problem
There is one corporation which controls over 90% of all search traffic. Google. Google once experienced a downtime which was a few minutes long, and it knocked out 40% of all web traffic. Like Bitcoin, the internet was designed as a decentralised system; if any one node malfunctioned, the system would continue to work, therefore providing stability.

Web search is a function which is necessary for the internet to be accessible; without it, it loses its functionality as a system. The idea that one company, one node, can fail, and make the internet inaccessible and less functional, undermines the decentralised nature of the internet.

The solution
YaCy is an example of a P2P search engine. However, I have tried this, and it is ineffective. It yields low quality results and lags your computer. For the altruistic cryptoanarchist seeking freedom from the corporate influence of Google, this may be bearable, but for the average consumer, it is not good enough.

For a search engine to become widespread, it must reach these criteria:
  • the results must be of a quality on par with or better than Google
  • it must be no more resource-heavy than Google is
  • it must have marketing and branding behind it which makes it more glamorous and modern than Google itself, arguably the biggest challenge

In this post, I will propose a model for a cryptographic search engine which could achieve this.

The cryptosearch engine (CSE)
The CSE would be accessed via a website, like Google, as opposed to YaCy, which required you to download a program.
Like a regular search engine, webpages would be indexed by spiders, ranked through an algorithm, possibly filtered for NSFW content, and delivered to the user.

However, these functions would not be powered by a centralised collection of servers, but by miners, mining for 'searchcoins'. Searchcoins would, in turn, be usable in purchasing ads shown beside search results, or transferable to others to be sold.

Marketing
The most important part of the marketing will be the name. A big part of Google's success is it's name, it's fun to say and rolls off the tongue. The marketing will need to portray the CSE as a fun-to-use search engine. I suggest adding games and interactive features as easter eggs for entering certain search terms, adding frequent doodles, and perhaps promoting how the search engine can be used for different functions in a pinch.

Thoughts?
Intermatic (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:47:25 PM

One addendum: this model could be applied to other things as well, like general media. You could post a video, picture, or text, and if someone places advertising beside your media, you could get, say, 90% of the coins they spend (with 10% taken as a transaction fee).
profitofthegods

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 04:42:15 PM

Its a nice idea, but getting search results 'of a quality on par with or better than Google' is a pretty big ask. Bing doesn't seem to be able to do it - so why would you be able to?

Search is pretty complex these days, especially as search engines provide their own information to answer more and more search queries rather than just lists of web pages.
Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:15:20 PM

Its a nice idea, but getting search results 'of a quality on par with or better than Google' is a pretty big ask. Bing doesn't seem to be able to do it - so why would you be able to?

Search is pretty complex these days, especially as search engines provide their own information to answer more and more search queries rather than just lists of web pages.

I agree with this. I actively try to use DuckDuckGo, but sometimes I end up having to use Google. I can't imagine getting on par with Google, they spend a lot to make sure people ask them for info, and give them info. Tongue
Intermatic (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 04:16:00 PM

I never said it was going to be easy, all I said is that it is what is needed.
If a cryptosearch is developed, the initial focus will likely be on the cryptosearch currency, the advertising tokens. Unlike a lot of other cryptocurrencies, these would have an intrinsic value: purchasing advertising. It will be that which will make people hop aboard and invest in the currency. Once people have invested in the currency, they will then have a stake in ensuring the project is successful, meaning they will support development efforts to bring the cryptosearch closer, and perhaps one day beyond, the quality of Google.
profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 04:20:09 PM

I never said it was going to be easy, all I said is that it is what is needed.
If a cryptosearch is developed, the initial focus will likely be on the cryptosearch currency, the advertising tokens. Unlike a lot of other cryptocurrencies, these would have an intrinsic value: purchasing advertising. It will be that which will make people hop aboard and invest in the currency. Once people have invested in the currency, they will then have a stake in ensuring the project is successful, meaning they will support development efforts to bring the cryptosearch closer, and perhaps one day beyond, the quality of Google.

Yes, didn't mean to sound dismissive or anything, it is a good idea and I'd like to see it happen.
Intermatic (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 04:26:55 PM

Yes, didn't mean to sound dismissive or anything, it is a good idea and I'd like to see it happen.
Great to hear! Hopefully we could get some interested devs aboard.
My expertise (if you can call it that) is not in programming, my interest lies in politics and economics, so we need to find someone.
Intermatic (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:39:36 PM

I was away for a couple of days, but in that time, I have been working on a lot more concepts which hugely expand upon the original idea of a cryptosearch! Watch this space, folks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: