Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:38:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I sent btc to an address that does not exist  (Read 1651 times)
dr.copycat (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 02:01:11 AM

is there a chance to return btc. Please help
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
neo_rage

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 02:04:31 AM

No way. Transactions can't be cancelled. You lost this coins forever.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 02:17:01 AM

Buy a lottery ticket because the odds of doing that with a client checking for valid addresses is about 1 in 4 billion.
neo_rage

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 02:23:09 AM

Right there, there is a checksum in the address! Wow ))

So strange.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 03:17:38 AM

What was the address?  How did you manage to accidently produce an address with a valid check sum that "does not exist" without doing it on purpose?

For fun I have produced such addresses and sent BTC to them so they are forever written in the block chain, for example:

Code:
11When1DieBuryMeDeepLayTwoXVEY5jv 
11SpeakersAtMyFeetAPairofXXTyrHor
11HeadphonesonMyHeadAndXXXXYUSvnd
11ALwaysPLayTheGratefuLDeadWdq4Xo

But notice that the last few characters of each address encode the check sum and it must be correct in order for the address to be accepted.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
dr.copycat (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 10:20:12 AM

I sent to the address of mubitcoin.org, because I had an account there. I did not know that it is blocked
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 10:46:10 AM

I sent to the address of mubitcoin.org, because I had an account there. I did not know that it is blocked

Then the private key *does* exist. Smiley You need to get it from the service owner though.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 11:52:07 AM

Then the private key *does* exist. Smiley You need to get it from the service owner though.

What is mubitcoin.org? The domain doesn't resolve... Or did he meant mybitcoin.com ? If so, good luck recovering them.
Phenomenal

Activity: 44

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 02:41:37 PM

All the best mate. Hope you get it back. Still researching bitcoin atm.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2012, 02:49:23 PM

Again.  What was the address?  Put it here in the thread so we can try to help you.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
dr.copycat (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 11:38:24 PM

Again.  What was the address?  Put it here in the thread so we can try to help you.
1JiRyzD9A3gHb7TssmTmPXWqPUyk5mJd6w
mybitcoin.org
dr.copycat (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 11:41:14 PM

dr.copycat:I did not know that the certificates necessary to change the address bitcoin wallet, I have changed address and did not know that I need to confirm bitcoins address. he sent to an address that no longer exist.Please to cancel the transfer and return to me my coins.i have 2 accounts on mining.cz

info@bitcoin.cz info@bitcoin.cz :

Hello,

transactions sent thru Bitcoin network cannot be reversed, so if pool sent payout to non-existing address, those coins are definitely lost.

Please change your wallet ASAP to prevent future loses...

Best,
slush
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 12:57:25 AM

That address is empty now, the most recent transactions were in January.  

What is your story again?  When did it happen?

https://blockexplorer.com/address/1JiRyzD9A3gHb7TssmTmPXWqPUyk5mJd6w

OR:  http://blockchain.info/address/1JiRyzD9A3gHb7TssmTmPXWqPUyk5mJd6w

memvola

Activity: 938

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 09:41:37 AM

Please to cancel the transfer and return to me my coins.i have 2 accounts on mining.cz

When did this happen? It seems at least on or before September 2011.

Think of it this way... You order something online and give them the wrong address. They send it right away. 7 months later you call them and tell them your mistake and want them to send it again. (The permanent loss of the item aside, how do you prove that you don't have access to the mailbox of that address?)

One difference is, we can see what the receiver on the wrong address did with your coins, and that they actually sent them to somewhere else. So your only option is find the owner of that address and ask for your coins. While at it, ask for my coins as well. Smiley
dr.copycat (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:45:04 PM

i think 15-28.9.2011
dr.copycat (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:51:11 PM

i think 15-28.9.2011

I sent the mail the next day. answer is:

Hello,

transactions sent thru Bitcoin network cannot be reversed, so if pool sent payout to non-existing address, those coins are definitely lost.

Best,
slush
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:53:42 PM

i think 15-28.9.2011

I sent the mail the next day. answer is:

Hello,

Best,
slush
If you sent it to mybitcoin.com, you won't see your coins again. Period. And the coins CANNOT BE RETURNED TO THE PREVIOUS ADDRESS. This is bitcoin's design. Absolute one way of sending coins. No use berating slush for that. Change your address to one you control(inside your bitcoin client preferably), and that is it.
dr.copycat (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 01:49:03 PM

Embarrassed
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 01:50:01 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2012, 01:31:51 PM by BurtWagner

Please to cancel the transfer and return to me my coins.i have 2 accounts on mining.cz

Think of it this way... You order something online and give them the wrong address. They send it right away. 7 months later you call them and tell them your mistake and want them to send it again. (The permanent loss of the item aside, how do you prove that you don't have access to the mailbox of that address?)

One difference is, we can see what the receiver on the wrong address did with your coins, and that they actually sent them to somewhere else. So your only option is find the owner of that address and ask for your coins. While at it, ask for my coins as well. Smiley

You are asking for a refund for something you did that long ago?  What planet are you from?  You can't even get a refund for something you did this long ago when using fiat.  I am out of here.

dr.copycat (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 09:00:14 AM

You are asking for a refund for something you did that long ago?  What plannet are you from?  You can't even get a refund for something you did this long ago when using fiat.  I am out of here.

I sent the mail next day
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: