Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:41:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time for a viral meme of bitcoin that actually gets people into it?  (Read 1588 times)
iluvpie60 (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:43:37 AM

What about it?

The doge community has their meme and their coin and people like it and associate good things with it.

What could a bitcoin meme be besides bashing fiat/drugs/illegal bs? Something that has the right optics. A word I don't ever see on these forums. I see people saying the benefits of bitcoin and how this and that and blah and no waiit wait waittt just listen to me for 2 hours about what it is and how you NEED TO USE IT.

But what about the optics of bitcoin? I really don't see anyone doing anything about that.

Optics
[op-tiks]

Examples
    Word Origin

noun

(used with a plural verb) the way a situation, action, event, etc., is perceived by the public or by a particular group of people: ...

Examples: "The optics on this issue are pretty good for the Democrats."
"Administrators worry about the bad optics of hiring new staff during a budget crisis."

Anyone trying to optic this up or whut sun?
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:46:32 AM

The doge meme and coin was a publicity stunt. With doge dying a slow death I think it is kind of clear that a meme can cause a short term bubble but long term if the fundamentals aren't good a coin will die.

R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:08:33 AM

if the fundamentals aren't good a coin will die.
But Bitcoin itself has good fundamentals, doesn't it? I think if such publicity is done for Bitcoin, it will be successful.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:12:58 AM

doge is definitely dying so throwing bags of crap coins to sponsors in an attempt to get noobs to hand over real bitcoins to obtain bags of crap coins, is not a business model anyone with ethics should follow.

MEME's are useless advertising to get the teenage crowd in, bitcoin doesnt need the basement dweller crowd of 4chan/9gag. bitcoin needs the professional adults of business and finance, who never look too kindly on projects filled with teenage 'graffiti' and no real proper business goals.

so look beyond the mindset of "but MEME's are cool" and "MEME's are the latest fashion" and spend your time more wisely and think about WHAT bitcoin needs and find solutions that have atleast 5 positive objectives/results.

theres no point making MEME's telling a bunch of basement dwellers they can be rich in 2 days just using their cpu.. (yes i seen someone say those words just the other day, infact) and think about maybe aiming at more specific criteria/markets/industries.

such as getting the address book of colleges that specializes in encryption, finance, business. even the wallstreet and brokerage companies, etc..

in short although you wont get the consensus of the community to agree to participate in a viral MEME project, there is nothing stopping you doing it for the niche market your aiming at. you do not need anyones permission. so go make your MEME. but atleast think long and hard about the benefits vs the noob confusion and troll crowd

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:59:40 AM

if the fundamentals aren't good a coin will die.
But Bitcoin itself has good fundamentals, doesn't it? I think if such publicity is done for Bitcoin, it will be successful.
BTC needs to get more publicity and let more people accept it. At the same time the flaws and issues encountered should be addressed, the features and usability should be enhanced, which is the fundamental for the success of BTC in the long term.

dkblueman

Activity: 62

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:14:29 AM

MEME's are useless advertising to get the teenage crowd in, bitcoin doesnt need the basement dweller crowd of 4chan/9gag. bitcoin needs the professional adults of business and finance, who never look too kindly on projects filled with teenage 'graffiti' and no real proper business goals.

Bitcoin needs everyone, and I think the basement dwellers with their micropayments for whatever nonsense they are up to are beneficial for bitcoin. Plus, when mom and pop start notcing they are not having their credit cards used by the kiddies anymore, it might perk their interest in bitcoin also.

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:21:43 PM

How about the character like Waldo from "Where's Waldo" ?  Or maybe make up a  new character and call it Nakamoto but give it a new character.  I was thinking of the character "Carmen Sandiego" also but I realized she was a villain and decided that wouldn't be a good move IMO. 

I think the idea of a Where's Nakamoto campaign could really catch on, thoughts?   
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:25:01 PM

Grumpy Cat lol

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:26:12 PM

How about the character like Waldo from "Where's Waldo" ?  Or maybe make up a  new character and call it Nakamoto but give it a new character.  I was thinking of the character "Carmen Sandiego" also but I realized she was a villain and decided that wouldn't be a good move IMO. 

I think the idea of a Where's Nakamoto campaign could really catch on, thoughts?   

but no one knows what he looks like so its hard to draw a meme of a faceless person.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
X7
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:26:31 PM

Upload a video called WE FOUND SATOSHI...   then have a public stunt done where you chase a person who hides their face and they disappear in an alley while kids scream into the camera "FUCK MAN WE HAD HIM WTH"   Cheesy Grin

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:36:53 PM

Upload a video called WE FOUND SATOSHI...   then have a public stunt done where you chase a person who hides their face and they disappear in an alley while kids scream into the camera "FUCK MAN WE HAD HIM WTH"   Cheesy Grin

I like the first part when we say We Found Satoshi and the end when we lose "him".  I think Satoshi should be a very hot hot intelligent female but whatever..  That could easily start a buzz alone and if the video is good that could really start to go viral.  I like this disscusson and look forward to seeing what other ideas or critiques people have.  It would be nice to see people get interested that aren't so technically inclined but can understand the benefits of the technology and I think this is a good way to do just that.
X7
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:39:31 PM

I like the first part when we say We Found Satoshi and the end when we lose "him".  I think Satoshi should be a very hot hot intelligent female but whatever..  That could easily start a buzz alone and if the video is good that could really start to go viral.  I like this disscusson and look forward to seeing what other ideas or critiques people have.  It would be nice to see people get interested that aren't so technically inclined but can understand the benefits of the technology and I think this is a good way to do just that.

Bro I make it a point to educate at least 2-3 new people every single day that I meet about the benefits this technology has, all the FUD about price up and down will never go away due to fear and ignorance and manipulation. But the good that this tech represents is really lost on a lot of people  Cry

clovex

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:48:45 PM

Indeed. We need something big. Like the ALS Ice Bucket shit, but with BTC involved.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:00:38 PM

Bitcoin can work on its own without needing to much PR spin
That said it does seem like a neat idea to increase awareness and interested in Bitcoin.
For some reason i'm imagining the PC guy and Apple Guy with fiat and bitcoin lol.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
luckyluigi

Activity: 239

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:21:16 PM

I would argue that dogecoin was the viral bitcoin meme. Think about it, how many dogecoin adopters use dogecoin exclusively?
dopecoindude
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 07:22:04 PM

Just use Dorian as the meme lol

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 07:24:48 PM

I would argue that dogecoin was the viral bitcoin meme. Think about it, how many dogecoin adopters use dogecoin exclusively?

Yeah exactly, i was thinking the same thing, not many of us use dogecoin exclusively.

luckyluigi

Activity: 239

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:27:07 PM

but no one knows what he looks like so its hard to draw a meme of a faceless person.
No one really knows what Jesus looked like either
iluvpie60 (OP)

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:37:22 PM

No one really knows what Jesus looked like either

no but seriously.

what if someone made a meme about satoshi running away all the time and "never" getting caught? just like your saying with where in the world is carmen sandiego, i always thought that was fun when i grew up, but have satoshi be the good guy or something.

there could be a whole back story on how he uses bitcoin anonymously to do good for the world and the evil "feds" are trying to get him! i dunno lol.
X7
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:28:49 PM

Sounds good lol

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: