Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:46:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watching tainted' coins  (Read 797 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 01:53:36 PM

If I click through:
http://blockchain.info/tree/2893660

I can see the LinNode theft.

I can also see IP's.

Has anyone tried to contact the people at these nodes? It's a shame I can't copy and paste the IPs.

Is there anything I can do to to avoid accepting coins that have had contact with thefts in the same way MtGox does? (disgarding that this may be a philosophically flawed idea for the moment)

Is there a summary as to what happened regards the MyBitcoin and Gox thefts as well? Possibly an easier to navigate map or general commentry that is understandable to the layperson.

edit, afterthought: There ought to be something that automates the whole process of watching the coins move and looking up IP addresses. This would also make the privacy situation much clearer for all

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MacRohard

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 03:53:51 PM

If I click through:
http://blockchain.info/tree/2893660

I can see the LinNode theft.

I can also see IP's.

Has anyone tried to contact the people at these nodes? It's a shame I can't copy and paste the IPs.

Is there anything I can do to to avoid accepting coins that have had contact with thefts in the same way MtGox does? (disgarding that this may be a philosophically flawed idea for the moment)

Is there a summary as to what happened regards the MyBitcoin and Gox thefts as well? Possibly an easier to navigate map or general commentry that is understandable to the layperson.

edit, afterthought: There ought to be something that automates the whole process of watching the coins move and looking up IP addresses. This would also make the privacy situation much clearer for all

The IP addresses are useless. Anyone can relay their transactions through any other node. Simply blocking blockchain.info from connecting to your node will 'cause some other random node to appear to be the source of your transaction (depending on who blockchain.info hears it from first since they won't hear it from you anymore).

You can use the -addnode command line parameter to direct which other node shows up in blockchain.info.

While the blockchain info may be more accurate than not for casual bitcoiners (although it is still wrong alot of the time) it will be completley inaccurate for anyone taking the most trivial steps to hide their IP.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: