Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:29:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to buy with $10K?  (Read 4298 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 09:15:12 PM

but even with these more efficient chips...... How do you know that they will actually use the amount of power BFL says they will? If I'm not mistaken they said their singles were going to use only 40 watts in the beginning? maybe it was 60? theres no way of knowing what the actual power consumption is going to be until they get one built and test it.

Btw 1250 watts at 25 Gh/s sounds a whole lot like 125 spartan 6's =p but at 15k they would have to be getting them dirt cheap like $100 per spartan....
They have rejiggered the wattage claims since the singles have shipped. The initial claim was 800 watts at ~54 ghps, so the revised claims of 2500 watts at 50 ghps (or half that for the mini-rig) are likely to be closer to reality.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stcupp

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 09:46:55 PM

Seems like we have all got off topic as well lol the question isnt What to buy with $15K? its What to buy with $10K?

I would say as long as you think bitcoin isn't going to totally collapse in the next couple years to go with FPGA's as they are more efficient and you will have a greater return in the long especially if you live in a area with high power costs. However, if your afraid bitcoin is going to anytime in the next couple years and dont mind less return then put your money into computer hardware and GPU's that will be a lot easier to resell if anything did happen.

Personally I would go with FPGA As others have said though there is a lot of things to consider when coming up with a payback period and profits and there is no way to precisely calculate it because all of the constantly changing variables. Such as price per BTC, Difficulty, changes in power costs, and cost of maintaining your hashing farm such as cooling, repairing fans, and anything else that could go wrong.
R-

Activity: 238

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 09:55:59 PM

Also you ever think maybe the long wait times are because they mine on your guys units for a month after they build them to get some extra profit  Tongue

That might have been the cheekiest comment I've read on BCT.com
stcupp

Activity: 209

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 11:10:16 PM

Also you ever think maybe the long wait times are because they mine on your guys units for a month after they build them to get some extra profit  Tongue

Think about it though gigavps claims he ordered "a couple" rig boxes they could have them built in a week then hold on to them and mine on them for a couple months and make a extra $4500 per rig box per month before they send them to him. Not saying BFL is doing this but its possible.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 11:11:27 PM

Think about it though gigavps claims he ordered "a couple" rig boxes they could have them built in a week then hold on to them and mine on them for a couple months and make a extra $4500 per rig box per month before they send them to him. Not saying BFL is doing this but its possible.

Quality control testing to ensure it operates smoothly...

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 11:13:41 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75017.0

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
gnar1ta$ (OP)
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 04:53:28 PM

Back on topic...what if we ignore electricity costs (I don't need a debate about right/wrong)? What rig would give the most Mhash/$, and is readily available?

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 04:56:32 PM

Back on topic...what if we ignore electricity costs (I don't need a debate about right/wrong)? What rig would give the most Mhash/$, and is readily available?

7970s all the way.
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 07:03:36 PM

7970s all the way.

Ditto.
discordian666

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 05:02:12 AM

7970s all the way.
Least till we see what the 7990's do later this month when they are released
R-

Activity: 238

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 06:18:35 AM

Least till we see what the 7990's do later this month when they are released

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26435-amd-hd-7990-specs-show-up
According to the post at INPAI, the upcoming HD 7990 features two 28nm GCN Tahiti XT chips, same one found on the HD 7970 graphics card. This means that we are looking at a card that will have 2048 stream processors and 3GB of memory per GPU. Appearently, these two Tahiti chips will end up clocked at 850MHz while memory will work at 1250MHz (5GHz effective).

I have high hopes as long as they are able to keep the chip efficient and cool.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: