Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:37:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: On the glorification of Bitcoin  (Read 2929 times)
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 05:42:25 PM

Every form of currency, since the very beginning of its existance, had to do with power: it is the establishment of a sovereign and its glory which justifies the shared trust into a symbolic form of value circulation. Since money is not anymore backed by a material value in metal, its glorification and the representation of commonly recognized symbols becomes an even more important issue....

more here

This is an awesome article

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 06:15:09 PM

So far in my life I learned enough to know that people will always do what they want to do and that I can't control anyone beside myself.

But even so I have to try and plead with the community:

Please, do us a favor and if you're going to invent new symbols for Bitcoin, don't look for inspiration in the old failed and oppressive ideologies but instead look forward to freedom and cooperation, to spontaneous order as opposed to order by government's monopoly on violence and to a society with freely agreed to rules, consistent and mandatory for everyone as opposed to a central authority with dual standards and last but not least to a market regulated and constrained by it's participants as opposed to a market regulated by a central planing authority.

I beg you, please draw your inspiration in images of freedom, voluntarism, cooperation, openness, consistency, capitalism and entrepreneurship as opposed to oppression, violence, and pretense of knowledge. Thank you.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 01:53:19 AM

I beg you, please draw your inspiration in images of freedom, voluntarism, cooperation, openness, consistency, capitalism and entrepreneurship as opposed to oppression, violence, and pretense of knowledge. Thank you.

I don't understand how and why you managed to mention capitalism as something opposite of oppression, violence, and pretense of knowledge.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
bitlizard

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 03:06:04 AM

I don't understand how and why you managed to mention capitalism as something opposite of oppression, violence, and pretense of knowledge.

When people left of center like yourself (totally assuming so correct me if I'm wrong) hear or see the word 'capitalism' there is meaning applied that could be defined as oppressive, violent etc.

but when people with more libertarian leaning ideals (like myself) use the word 'capitalism' we mean; a respect for private property, a respect for the rights of the individual, freedom to enter into mutually beneficial contracts, self ownership etc.

I think it means very different things to different people. semantics. 

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2012, 03:23:05 AM

The C word drives me nuts. You can do good or bad stuff with capital, obviously, really really obviously. Right now it is nearly always mixed with violence and it's terrible. But come on, the violence is he problem, not the stuff.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2012, 06:14:37 AM

The belief that acquiring more stuff than your neighbors makes you better than them incites violence. You can't have capitalism without it.

The symbol should be a circle, left half white, right half black. Kind of like the symbol for the machine society in the Matrix animations.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 06:53:26 AM

Bitcoin does not need a symbol. Bitcoin is just Bitcoin.

What we need are commercial services that engrave your Bitcoin addresses, public keys or private keys in a secure manner. Or sell the alphabet in parts and you do the assembling, like in beads, or scrabble type letters, or embroidered letters that you stitch together.

We need a movie that uses the concept of bitcoins so that some wealthy billionaire hands over his inheritance as a piece of paper with bitcoin keys. Or someone finds a granite block with the etched address.

Yeah, that will "glorify" bitcoin alright, but I don't know if that will do what we want it to do. Maybe Fast and Furious 6 will have the bad guy storing his money in bitcoins.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 09:09:32 AM

We need Joe Pesci.  Cheesy

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2012, 09:35:28 AM

Capitalism is a word known to be an anti-concept, i.e a word that makes communication MORE difficult instead of facilitating it just like a bad actor makes undestanding of a character more difficult.
I would stay away from it on this forum.

@OP The idea of a bitcoin mascot was discussed before and I like the Alpaca, a fairly innocent, unassuming animal.
The empty throne proposed in the article is still a symbol of centralized power, not optimal to represent the bitcoin movement.

blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 12:05:39 PM

Capitalism is a word known to be an anti-concept, i.e a word that makes communication MORE difficult instead of facilitating it just like a bad actor makes undestanding of a character more difficult.
I would stay away from it on this forum.

@OP The idea of a bitcoin mascot was discussed before and I like the Alpaca, a fairly innocent, unassuming animal.
The empty throne proposed in the article is still a symbol of centralized power, not optimal to represent the bitcoin movement.

I thought "Capitalism" was coined (pardon the pun) as an answer to or opposite of Communism. The problem is that they both seem to share the same flaw: human nature. Things like natural inequality, greed/sense of ego, entitlement, superiority and so on, combined with the unavoidable realities of having to co-exist with other people in the world, mean that brute force is required to enforce Communist ideals. Those same human features are "free to corrupt" Capitalism.

In practice, many societies seem to strive for some kind of healthy middle ground, whereby the worst aspects of both are limited. There is usually some kind of framework to include things that don't "fit" the market model. For example: prisons, a public healthcare system, a road code, an education system, and so on. Some may argue that if societies simply enforce a "user pays" policy to everything, it'll be fine. But in many cases that attitude is demonstrably wrong. For example, a mentally ill criminal with no family or friends is stuck in an institution to protect all the die-hard capitalists on the outside. Who pays?

Overall I think Bitcoin is simply a realistic attempt to solve some problems that other types of money have. No more, no less.

How about something that symbolises ones and zeros?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 04:27:08 AM

As long as the Satoshi-seeded block chain exists, I don't care what you call it. I plan to change my client to Jesus Coin, because I like the name.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Haplo

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 06:00:48 AM

In practice, many societies seem to strive for some kind of healthy middle ground, whereby the worst aspects of both are limited. There is usually some kind of framework to include things that don't "fit" the market model. For example: prisons, a public healthcare system, a road code, an education system, and so on. Some may argue that if societies simply enforce a "user pays" policy to everything, it'll be fine. But in many cases that attitude is demonstrably wrong. For example, a mentally ill criminal with no family or friends is stuck in an institution to protect all the die-hard capitalists on the outside. Who pays?

Your friendly torte insurance company. The problem isn't that society needs prisons and government goons to bash down your door and force you to pay for them. The problem is that prisons, as a "rehabilitation program", teach offenders to become career criminals rather than just petty offenders.

People go to prison out of a background of child abuse, and are then subjected to further abuse in prison, reinforcing the lesson that violence and dishonesty are the solution to their problems. Sure, there are problems where externalities aren't easily avoidable, but the solution is never to get a big group of assholes with guns and have them tell everyone what to do and steal money from everyone on an ongoing basis to pay for said activities.

The solution to keeping child molesters away from your children is not to administer TSA agents to molest your children legally at the airport, mall, school and so on.

Does wikipedia require a totalitarian tax collection agency to operate?

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 12:26:28 PM

1) Which Magic the Gathering Card has the empty throne on it?

2) Very strong title for a simple thread/article discussing a symbol for Bitcoin.  I think we can develop a symbol for bitcoin without a need to "glorify" bitcoin...

ciao

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 05:21:06 PM

1) Which Magic the Gathering Card has the empty throne on it?

2) Very strong title for a simple thread/article discussing a symbol for Bitcoin.  I think we can develop a symbol for bitcoin without a need to "glorify" bitcoin...

ciao

The tone of the article is a little off, but it raises an important issue.

If bitcoin is socially considered "nerd money" that won't be as good as "amazingly awesome money".

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 05:33:46 PM

For example, a mentally ill criminal with no family or friends is stuck in an institution to protect all the die-hard capitalists on the outside. Who pays?

The die-hard capitalists needing the protection should pay.  Nobody in prison is a "user", the people outside are the ones who benefit.  However, like Haplo said, in reality nobody benefits because our prison system refines criminals rather than repairing them.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 05:46:39 PM

For example, a mentally ill criminal with no family or friends is stuck in an institution to protect all the die-hard capitalists on the outside. Who pays?

The die-hard capitalists needing the protection should pay.  Nobody in prison is a "user", the people outside are the ones who benefit.  However, like Haplo said, in reality nobody benefits because our prison system refines criminals rather than repairing them.

This is getting way off topic, but...

I used to think that about prison. Now it's clear to me that many of the 'criminals' on the inside are there for the protection and/or service of the criminals on the outside. It's a bonus to them that many degenerate inside making a nice excuse to keep it all going.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 06:43:55 PM

I used to think that about prison. Now it's clear to me that many of the 'criminals' on the inside are there for the protection and/or service of the criminals on the outside. It's a bonus to them that many degenerate inside making a nice excuse to keep it all going.

That is a good point, but not always the case.  For example, I have an adopted brother who is retarded and was abused as a child.  He has been to prison several times and has only gained knowledge of how to be a criminal.  He's not smart enough to pull it off though, so he'll just keep going back.  He doesn't want a normal life, and any attempt to keep him off the streets just ends up with him running off and getting put away.  He needs help, but all they offer is criminal minds 101.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
blablahblah

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 09:33:58 PM

Hmm, my "die-hard capitalists" comment was probably bit OTT. It can get a bit overwhelming as a non-American to be bombarded with so many American-centric attitudes and issues when interacting in the Bitcoin sphere. For example, I mentioned "institution" and everyone assumed I was talking about prison. Meanwhile, Australia has publicly funded secure hospitals for the mentally ill. I guess you could call those prisons, and I guess that in theory some way could be contrived to make them private, profitable, and all encompassing. But I guess no-one's figured how to extend "the Bitcoin way" to the rest of society just yet.

Back on topic: Bitcoin is already glorious enough on its own two feet without someone glorifying it. As for marketing ideas, why not pay homage to the binary number system?
Haplo

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:02:23 AM

Well, more on topic, personally the only thing I would change about the bitcoin 'logo' is to clearly give it only one strike through the B rather than two. The double strike through the USD symbol is an accentuated "U", so that the design makes a "US". Conversely, there are no "U"s in bitcoin.

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym
blablahblah

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 01:03:12 AM

Well, more on topic, personally the only thing I would change about the bitcoin 'logo' is to clearly give it only one strike through the B rather than two. The double strike through the USD symbol is an accentuated "U", so that the design makes a "US". Conversely, there are no "U"s in bitcoin.

Even the regular dollar symbol seems to be based on a "serpent coiled around a cross", which pharmacies sometimes display. If I start digging around on the Net, I'm sure to find all kinds of occult/religious/pagan history surrounding it.

How about a Tetris-like "B" in bright colours? I know it's a bit Google, but Google is popular, whereas shiny bullion-like designs remind of dodgy poker sites.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: