Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:14:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement: A public company is being formed to enter ASIC Btc Mining market  (Read 2256 times)
dizzy1 (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 04:04:21 AM

https://bitcoin.org.uk/forums/topic/486-announcement-a-public-company-is-being-formed-to-enter-asic-bitcoin-mining-marketplace/

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 04:12:29 AM

Store it in a bunker, eh?

Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 04:20:12 AM

Interesting. If someone can get over the financial hurdle of making bulk ASICs their $/MH will in theory be so low and their MH/W so high that they could force out the vast majority of current users given enough capital. Could make for a very interesting future IF this were to take off. If they were the only ones with access to very cheap and efficient hashing power it could in theory break the network.

Would be fun if the next currency that cropped up rendered their ASICs useless  Grin
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 05:41:56 AM

I'd really love to see the projected financials and related gantt chart surrounding the ASIC development.  The link makes it sound like this is going to be some trivial process that they'll roll out in the next couple of months. 
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 06:58:17 AM

Then, the ASIC schematics / design will leak out, and someone from China or some other country will make copies of it and sell it. Then we will have a lot of ASIC miners. The pools will be the one to benefit, since most normal private individuals will probably join the pools. The overall hash rate will rise, as will the difficulty.

And my bitcoins will be safe.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2012, 09:35:03 AM

Hmm I wonder how much that guy invested in these ASIC miners.

And just a side note, I've been around long enough to see how uber mad he got with this forum, deleted all his post, and started his own BTC forum. Forgot what the drama was about though.

Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 07:16:41 PM

Interesting. If someone can get over the financial hurdle of making bulk ASICs their $/MH will in theory be so low and their MH/W so high that they could force out the vast majority of current users given enough capital. Could make for a very interesting future IF this were to take off. If they were the only ones with access to very cheap and efficient hashing power it could in theory break the network.

Would be fun if the next currency that cropped up rendered their ASICs useless  Grin

That is what I find interesting. You can't get a dominant technology and hopes to takes the mining market, because you'll break the network and the market. You can aim under 51%, but if you consider the ups and downs of the network, I doubt you can get over 40% safely. If you get 40%, and the network goes a little down, you could get over 51% by accident.

Let's say that this guy play safe and goes for 30% of the market. At the moment, he would go for around 4-5 THash/s, pushing the network to 15 THash. Yeah, there would be a jump in difficulty, but not that cruel, and still 70% is available for the smaller miners.

ASIC is far from a panacea. You can't get too much, because you break the network (and you don't want that, because you have to pay back your ASIC). But you need to get a good chunk of the network, so you can profit and pay your ASIC. You have a ceiling in revenue that you can't go over.

At 30% of the network, you get 2160 BTC every day. At 5$ each BTC, you get 10 800$/day, hoping for 3.9 Millions/year. BUT, the more you sell, the more the price goes down. And when a guy with a lot of BTC sells, price crash hard.

So, with the magic ASIC, you have a limit in revenue, because you can't get too much of the network. You can't sell too much, because you'll crash the price yourself, and lower your revenue. And you still have to cover your cost. How much cost the ASIC? The bunker? The maintenance? The electricity (even if its supposed to be cheap, 5 THash will still cost a good chunk of electricity)?

I wish him good luck, but it's far from being the ideal business opportunity.
st4rdust

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 01:48:35 AM

Is that Neil deGrasse Tyson?

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 02:49:04 AM

Hmm I wonder how much that guy invested in these ASIC miners.

And just a side note, I've been around long enough to see how uber mad he got with this forum, deleted all his post, and started his own BTC forum. Forgot what the drama was about though.

Not that mad that he doesn't come back when it's convenient for him: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75298.0
I guess his forum doesn't have as many users as this one Tongue
I could get you more examples, but only the most recent is enough.
Also goes to proof that this thread is a dupe and the OP didn't need to link to an external forum.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 12:09:41 PM

And you still have to cover your cost. How much cost the ASIC? The bunker? The maintenance? The electricity (even if its supposed to be cheap, 5 THash will still cost a good chunk of electricity)?

5Th/s would only costs $1825/month in electricity. This is peanuts compared to the $0.5 million NRE cost of developing an ASIC.

(That's assuming ASICs capable of 200 Mh/J, or an order of magnitude better than FPGAs, and an average rate of $0.10/kWh.)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:10:47 PM

And you still have to cover your cost. How much cost the ASIC? The bunker? The maintenance? The electricity (even if its supposed to be cheap, 5 THash will still cost a good chunk of electricity)?

5Th/s would only costs $1825/month in electricity. This is peanuts compared to the $0.5 million NRE cost of developing an ASIC.

(That's assuming ASICs capable of 200 Mh/J, or an order of magnitude better than FPGAs, and an average rate of $0.10/kWh.)
I think you will find that the NRE is much higher than that, many times so.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 09:07:05 PM

My thoughts are that Vladamir's eyes are bigger than his pocketbook and brain. I don't think he was ever a major player with his mining contracts, even when he spoke like he was. He invested heavily into a mining operation at the exact wrong time, when the same amount of money could have purchased Bitcoin at <$1. He said one BTC would be worth $100 by the "end of the year" (2011) and $1,000 by the end of 2012.

He left this forum in a tuff (deleted most of his posts) and his activity even over there at his new forum dwindled and dwindled. Then suddenly he comes out of nowhere and posts this?

His posting activity on his own forum: (check the dates, he's inactive on his own site)
https://bitcoin.org.uk/forums/user/1-vladimir/page__tab__posts

If they get publicly traded on an exchange I'll buy shares, but that's only because they'd be the first publicly traded Bitcoin company. I'm going to buy shares of such a company like that no matter what. I just don't have any faith he'll actually get that far.

Again, these "I've got an ASIC plan" people are always tall on hype and short on technical details.

If you are talking to a loan officer you tell them how much you are going to pay per month; if you are talking to a Bitcoiner you tell them how many megahash you are going to get per joule.

It really is that simple, he has no details, therefore all he has is an idea of what he wants to do. We all have plans to ASIC mine or invest in one, we just need someone that actually offers that solution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: