Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:11:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: will the cost of mining affect the bitcoin price ?  (Read 2618 times)
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:49:01 PM

Those groups are precisely who I'm talking about.  KnC, Bitmain, Bitfury, Cointerra, etc.  They all have their own chip IP and their own farms.  their cost per coin is much lower than the average miners.

If this trend http://bitcoin.sipa.be/speed-lin-ever.png continues, their cost per coin will increase dramatically. ... and very soon :-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
negafen

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 06:56:13 PM

given the fact that the difficulty usually increases, if one day the cost of mining 1 bitcoin reaches 1000$, and that the bitcoin price is 500$

1) will the miners stop and therefore the cost of mining will go back to 500$/bitcoin

2) or will the miners only sell at 1000$ and therefore increase the price to 1000 $ ?

i guess a little bit of both, but maybe miners are powerful enough to dictate the price and make it rise ?

Cost of mining is now close to 600$. And the price of each bitcoin is now 500.

Either miners need to stop or price has to go up by a lot.

Do you mean the cost of mining for new miners?
For existing ones, they most probably have recovered the cost of the equipment. If the price of btc covers their electricity costs, they are in the green..

Network difficulty usually make their equipment obsolete before they can recover the cost of equipment, electricity, hosting and labor.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 07:26:53 PM

honestly, long term, it depends on the aggregate position miners take towards the market. for now and historically, that has been long (hoarding).

A good percentage of the HR is comprised of corporate mines who don't wish to hold or speculate on BTC's future value.  They're interested in one thing: fiat and I believe they cash out their earnings as soon as possible.

Unless they do ASIC design and manufacturing, or have huge discount when buying in bulk, they will not have any profit if they cash it out as soon as possible.

Those groups are precisely who I'm talking about.  KnC, Bitmain, Bitfury, Cointerra, etc.  They all have their own chip IP and their own farms.  their cost per coin is much lower than the average miners.
I think they would still have an interest in keeping the value of bitcoin high. If the value of bitcoin is higher then the retail value of the machines that they sell will be higher, creating more profits. These companies can make much more money selling their machines then they can mining themselves.
trader001

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 09:37:19 PM

honestly, long term, it depends on the aggregate position miners take towards the market. for now and historically, that has been long (hoarding).

A good percentage of the HR is comprised of corporate mines who don't wish to hold or speculate on BTC's future value.  They're interested in one thing: fiat and I believe they cash out their earnings as soon as possible.

Unless they do ASIC design and manufacturing, or have huge discount when buying in bulk, they will not have any profit if they cash it out as soon as possible.

Those groups are precisely who I'm talking about.  KnC, Bitmain, Bitfury, Cointerra, etc.  They all have their own chip IP and their own farms.  their cost per coin is much lower than the average miners.
I think they would still have an interest in keeping the value of bitcoin high. If the value of bitcoin is higher then the retail value of the machines that they sell will be higher, creating more profits. These companies can make much more money selling their machines then they can mining themselves.

What Bitmain did is set up a warehouse full of the ASIC miners running.

As soon as customers order the miner, they bring it offline and ship it to customer as "new".

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:42:00 AM

What Bitmain did is set up a warehouse full of the ASIC miners running.

As soon as customers order the miner, they bring it offline and ship it to customer as "new".

That would be considered unethical (if not illegal).
AdamSmith

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:18:20 AM

Actually, this is only true with the pre-order model they used and only ship out the miner on the last minute dead line where the customers have no chance of profit.

The miners will eventually wise up and given enough time, most of them will probably fade away.
itsAj

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:07:13 AM

A good percentage of the HR is comprised of corporate mines who don't wish to hold or speculate on BTC's future value.  They're interested in one thing: fiat and I believe they cash out their earnings as soon as possible.

Those groups are precisely who I'm talking about.  KnC, Bitmain, Bitfury, Cointerra, etc.  They all have their own chip IP and their own farms.  their cost per coin is much lower than the average miners.

Actually, this is only true with the pre-order model they used and only ship out the miner on the last minute dead line where the customers have no chance of profit.

The miners will eventually wise up and given enough time, most of them will probably fade away.

I think miners have generally gotten smart enough to not create so much demand that companies can sell out 6 month pre-orders in a single hour. Part of the reason this was happening is that ASICs were very new at the time and no one predicted just how fast the difficulty was going to rise.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:11:53 AM

Mining difficulty follows price, not the other way around.

If too many miners drop out, the difficulty automatically adjusts so that the block interval is still about the same.

It is elegant in that the more Bitcoin is worth, the more resources are put into protecting it.

Referring to bolded section, no.

Difficulty affects price and price affects difficulty.  It's absolutely not a one-way function.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:15:44 AM

Mining difficulty follows price, not the other way around.

If too many miners drop out, the difficulty automatically adjusts so that the block interval is still about the same.

It is elegant in that the more Bitcoin is worth, the more resources are put into protecting it.

This is correct. If the price of BTC increases, then the profitability of mining will increase, causing more people to want to mine and bring miners online. If the price of BTC falls, then mining will be less profitable and less people will want to mine (as it could potentially be unprofitable) so miners will be taken offline.

No, it is not correct, or rather I should say it is incomplete.  Difficulty affects price because it impacts miner sales and also the rate at which mined BTC are liquidated to recoup mining costs.  It is not now, nor has it ever been, a one-way function.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:19:39 AM

I think miners have generally gotten smart enough to not create so much demand that companies can sell out 6 month pre-orders in a single hour.

There are still far too many stupid miners. People are actually taking delivery of overpriced BFL hardware as we speak even though they are being offered a far more profitable refund option. Other people are dumping money into every Ponzi "cloud mining" website that pops up.

Buy & Hold
TheJohn

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:07:23 PM

I think miners have generally gotten smart enough to not create so much demand that companies can sell out 6 month pre-orders in a single hour.

There are still far too many stupid miners. People are actually taking delivery of overpriced BFL hardware as we speak even though they are being offered a far more profitable refund option. Other people are dumping money into every Ponzi "cloud mining" website that pops up.

Agree, I still don't get it people mine for a loss (electricity more then btc generated). They can just buy BTC with the expected electricity..
nuff

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:11:41 PM

Right now, unless you are the manufacturer, miners are mining at negative profit in other words at a loss. But miners will still mine away anyway, for they are already invested in. They hope that price will rise but they don't realize the market don't really work that way. If miners are smart, they would stop mining and buy instead. Sure you're invested but far better to take advantage of the low price now and buy than to keep your miners running at a loss. But that is also why there are so many more poor people that rich ones.
efreeti

Activity: 350
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:13:48 PM

It is the new bitcoin users who put money into "cloud mining" and pump and dump coin. The community never seem to run out of fools.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:42:30 PM

Right now, unless you are the manufacturer, miners are mining at negative profit in other words at a loss. But miners will still mine away anyway, for they are already invested in. They hope that price will rise but they don't realize the market don't really work that way. If miners are smart, they would stop mining and buy instead. Sure you're invested but far better to take advantage of the low price now and buy than to keep your miners running at a loss. But that is also why there are so many more poor people that rich ones.

Referring to bolded section, some miners *are* smart because mining can be a less risky way to invest at least inasmuch as you can reliably predict your  , particularly if the price of BTC drops, and especially if you buy in at the right time.   I've profited more from the Antminers that I've purchased than I would have if I had bought BTC outright simply because the average price of BTC hasn't changed much since I bought them.

Now, cloud hashing is just plain stupid -- I have no problem conceding that.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:55:13 PM

I think earlier a lot of people started investing in bitcoin by mining. Currently, usually you have to be complete fool or very bad in math to purchase mining equipment. So, I guess, now if you want to invest in bitcoin, you have only one way...by buying.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:34:46 PM

I think earlier a lot of people started investing in bitcoin by mining. Currently, usually you have to be complete fool or very bad in math to purchase mining equipment. So, I guess, now if you want to invest in bitcoin, you have only one way...by buying.

Ugh...

This is *not* always the case, and I find it's usually the ones that are bad at math who make blanket assumptions like this.

Buying a miner is the only way you stand a chance at profiting even if the price of BTC goes down pending that you're not shorting BTC (which is not the same as buying BTC anyway).  

It's not guaranteed, but at least it's not the same 0% probability of profiting -- or, conversely, the 100% probability of losing money -- if you buy BTC and then it tanks.

Furthermore, if mining conditions are favorable but the average price of BTC remains stable for a relatively long period of time, you will ROI with your miners before you ever see a profit from buying BTC, even if BTC goes up in the future.  This is exactly what happened with my Antminers.  If I had bought BTC instead of my Antminers, I'd still almost be at break-even.  Instead, they've ROI'd almost twice over now.

Edit:  ROI is now a verb :\
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:11:28 PM

nope, it's like take or lose, either cut loose or lose everything, your choice
You really need to try harder, or maybe another tactic.  You're not fooling anyone, in fact they're all pretty sure you're just a paid shill.

Whatever value your employer was getting out of you has gone to shit, you should change it up before you get fired.

Well, technically he could be getting paid to make "bears" sound ridiculous, goading them into agreeing with his statements, thus tainting their reputation and fostering a genuine attitude of dismissal on these forums with progressively more moronic statements as time goes on.

He would still be a paid shill, just being paid by bulls. It's impossible to know for sure. This is one of the reasons I don't ignore these type of people; as their posting habits provide more insight than the words they contain.
itsAj

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 11:03:39 PM

I agree that the demand is still likely higher then it should. People do fall for the cloud mining scams by taking their word for their estimate as to how much difficulty will rise when in reality it is rising many times their "estimate"

One thing that we saw late last year and to a lesser extent early this year is people paying, literally tens of thousands of dollars for the machines with the highest hashrates on the secondary market. There would have been more or less no way that they would have come anywhere close to breaking even, even before the cost of electricity is taken into consideration. This is one thing that we are not seeing anymore.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 04:45:56 AM

Ugh...

This is *not* always the case, and I find it's usually the ones that are bad at math who make blanket assumptions like this.

Buying a miner is the only way you stand a chance at profiting even if the price of BTC goes down pending that you're not shorting BTC (which is not the same as buying BTC anyway).  

It's not guaranteed, but at least it's not the same 0% probability of profiting -- or, conversely, the 100% probability of losing money -- if you buy BTC and then it tanks.

Furthermore, if mining conditions are favorable but the average price of BTC remains stable for a relatively long period of time, you will ROI with your miners before you ever see a profit from buying BTC, even if BTC goes up in the future.  This is exactly what happened with my Antminers.  If I had bought BTC instead of my Antminers, I'd still almost be at break-even.  Instead, they've ROI'd almost twice over now.

Edit:  ROI is now a verb :\

Yes it is possible to profit from mining. I'm miner myself and sometimes I get profit and sometimes not. -However, it requires quite a lot mining gear to be able to profit just 1 btc, and there's a risk that the equipment wont ROI. So, it might be easier to just buy bitcoins...

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:07:38 PM

Referring to bolded section, some miners *are* smart because mining can be a less risky way to invest at least inasmuch as you can reliably predict your  , particularly if the price of BTC drops, and especially if you buy in at the right time.   I've profited more from the Antminers that I've purchased than I would have if I had bought BTC outright simply because the average price of BTC hasn't changed much since I bought them.

Now, cloud hashing is just plain stupid -- I have no problem conceding that.
I would disagree with this. A miner will have generally fixed costs that are priced in fiat (electricity) so they will essentially need to sell some portion of their bitcoin they mine to cover these costs. If the price of bitcoin decreases then they will need to sell more of their bitcoin to cover their costs.

If you buy bitcoin on an exchange then you have the same amount of bitcoin regardless of the future price and would not have any additional holding costs.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: