Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:09:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealing Electricity the next big thing?  (Read 4246 times)
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:49:12 PM

The best thing to do is start a program that gives away free S3's to women in offices as "Foot warmers".   You go and install them personally and hook them up at the offices.  Women love space heaters for their feet.  Free BTC for you.

Why not install a spy-hole camera on the miner and have a 2nd source of income from "live foot warmer webcam".  It's already got it's own internet connection!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
masterzman (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:03:07 PM

Oh man this thread is too funny!  Grin

However I could see someone running an extension cord from the neighbor's house. I would bet money we see that in a news article within the next year. Expanding on that I could see someone in an apartment building cutting holes in the drywall and tapping into the neighbor's electric from the back of the wall.

I bet some jail time would be attached to that. "Theft of services" I believe is the correct term.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:17:13 PM

The best thing to do is start a program that gives away free S3's to women in offices as "Foot warmers".   You go and install them personally and hook them up at the offices.  Women love space heaters for their feet.  Free BTC for you.
Heating devices are the clear winner because they can actually be beneficial for the people. I'd argue space heaters are obsolete technology given there's now a substantial second-hand ASIC market. I've always thought the idea of, in the future, having things always hashing just because they have a computer in them and they're otherwise idle is remarkably dumb, but if the device's job is to literally provide heat, it's remarkably dumb for it not to hash.
Kuttingcorners

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:34:49 AM

only way it would make sense is to buy 100 s1's and cut the pipe above the power meter booya free power!!!
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:10:44 AM

Before I type my little idea scenario here, I am not advocating the use of these ideas.  Wink

For some reason I cannot stop thinking about what to do with all this leftover mining equipment when difficulty and electric cost make my S3 miners unprofitable. My imagination runs wild with ideas. I read on bitcointalk ideas for using miners as space heaters while obvious generating small amounts of bitcoin. What a great idea! Of course taking into account cost, electric efficiency, and heat output of a space heater and comparing it to a bitcoin miner. This again has me thinking.

We hear about “botnets” or these big malware viruses that can be downloaded on a victim’s computer and then start mining bitcoin for a perpetrator. One computer might not add up to a lot of bitcoin, but spread it out over 100,000 downloaders and I’m sure it starts becoming profitable. However, the same rule applies to these malware creators as it does miners. Difficulty will always raise making the operation less profitable as time goes on. Instead of stealing computer resources to mine bitcoin, crypto-crooks will have to move on to something else. Electricity.

Here’s a scenario I see happening in the future. S3 miners become no longer efficient because of electricity rates and difficulty. They drop in price and are very affordable. Crypto-crook “Steve” attaches a wifi antenna to his S3 board heads to the nearest Starbucks, or even a nice highway rest area. Steve slides a piece of the drop ceiling out of place in the bathroom, and taps into the electricity from the florescent light. He plugs in his S3 miner, and connects it to the free wifi. There you have it, Steve is now running a rig that is virtually untraceable if found, and will run until it IS found. Or until it burns down the building lol. Which is another thing we might see.

We see reports of people using workplace servers to mine bitcoin, and there is always chatter in the forums about moving into a college dorm with electric included and running a few miners. Imagine a tech guy at a small but busy doctor’s office throwing an S3 miner on the server rack. No one would question it unless a new tech guy got hired.

Do you guys think electricity theft or even just ‘scheming’ with included electricity is going to turn into a big thing once we hit our climax of ASIC hardware? I think we are going to see some clever and useful, but also dangerous and illegal activates start taking place.

Welcome to many countries already doing this worldwide.

Don't have to farm bitcoin to see that going on here in Indonesia. The PLN has been waging a war with fraud for countless years with regards to GREY billing. Where some customers get a hefty discounts if you pay the right people. People do get caught and do face jail time. Good luck. Have you looked into BIOGAS?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:38:29 PM

only way it would make sense is to buy 100 s1's and cut the pipe above the power meter booya free power!!!

Chances are you legal bills will be much larger then any mining profits once caught....

If you don't like you electricity bill look into hosting.  Will save you long term compared to illegal activity.
gallery2000

Activity: 784

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:51:09 PM

Good idea.  How about turning S3 as actual shoes?  Chinese women love high heel.  S3 as a shoe give them an extra 7 inches in height, wamth, and modern. 

eoakland

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:56:15 AM

this thread is funny.  many indoor pot growers hire an electrician to gypsy rig the home to not detect the electricity being used to heat the crops.  the way many of the grow houses get discovered is that at night the helicopters fly overhead and use infrared to detect abnormal heat.  many growers turn the house's lamps off at night and only keep them on during the day.  it's tempting to rent a home or to use your own home and set it up to do the same, but instead of growing pot you mine.  that's probably the best way to steal electricity...or so i have heard (as i strike the Austin Powers pinky to the face pose)

Code:
               ▄▄███████▄▄
            ▄███████████████▄
           ███████████████████
          █████████████████████▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄▄████████████████████████████▄
   ▄█████ ▐▌ ██████████████████████████▄
 ▄█████       ▀█         █          ████▄
▐███████  ███  ▐█  ██▀█▄▄█▄▄██  ██▄▄█████
████████       ██     ████████  █████████
████████  ███  ▐█  ██▄█▀▀█████  ████████▀
 ██████       ▄█         ███      █████▀
  ▀██████ ▐▌ ████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀
       ▄▄▀▀▀██████▄
    ▄██████▀▀███████▀▀▄
  ▄██████▀▄███████████▄▀▄
 ▄█ ███████████████ ████▄▄
▄██████████████████▌▐█████▄
███████████████████████████
▀▄████████▄▄▄▀▀▀████████▀▄
██████████████████████████
▀████ ████████████████████▀
 ▀████ █████████▀▄████ ██▀
  ▀████▄▀█████▀▀▄█████▌▐▀
▄███▀▄██████▄▄████▀▀▄▄▀███▄
▀██████
▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████▀
   ▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀
         ▄▄▀▀██▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▀▀██▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▄▀▄██████████
▄▀▀█▄▀█▄█▀███████████
▄▀████████▐▌██████
 █▀▄██████████▄████▄████
  ▀▄█████████████████████
   ▀▄█████████▀██████▀███
     ██████████▄██▄█████
      █████████████████████
       ▀▄████████████████
        ▀▄████████████████
          ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
lowbander80
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:39:07 AM

Replacing the fans on a WC with a S1...had a good time reading this post but could be true...
I guess next time to go to a Highway rest rooms,  and see behind from the fan a greed led
light flashing you will be alarmed!!!!
hi hi
zokizuan

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:25:47 PM

love the idea...lol Huh
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 08:50:25 PM

I actually know a number of people who are stealing electricity. In some parts of the world the access to relays is quite easy and everyone who can climb a pole can connect their own wire. The only risk you're taking is a possible fine and electrocution if you're not careful Tongue
It's also worth mentioning that these people I know of are poor and stealing only few hundred watts to light the house and cook food. If they started to mine somebody would notice it sooner or later.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
eoakland

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:54:42 AM

I actually know a number of people who are stealing electricity. In some parts of the world the access to relays is quite easy and everyone who can climb a pole can connect their own wire. The only risk you're taking is a possible fine and electrocution if you're not careful Tongue
It's also worth mentioning that these people I know of are poor and stealing only few hundred watts to light the house and cook food. If they started to mine somebody would notice it sooner or later.

it stories like that, that put things into perspective.  here we (i know i am) are complaining about the cost of power to mine...when some could care less about mining.  they just want to survive and have to take measures that we joke around about.  May GOD bless those who are really in need.  

sorry for the sermon guys, back to bitcoin talk...damn difficulty ..right ? LoL

Code:
               ▄▄███████▄▄
            ▄███████████████▄
           ███████████████████
          █████████████████████▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄▄████████████████████████████▄
   ▄█████ ▐▌ ██████████████████████████▄
 ▄█████       ▀█         █          ████▄
▐███████  ███  ▐█  ██▀█▄▄█▄▄██  ██▄▄█████
████████       ██     ████████  █████████
████████  ███  ▐█  ██▄█▀▀█████  ████████▀