Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 02:30:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining with GPU --- What should I do?  (Read 4325 times)
Hannan (OP)

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 03:07:19 AM

Hi guys,
We bought 24 -- R9 280x cards and by the time we got them the difficulty for Litecoin went so high.. and we haven't use them since then.. also no one would buy them in my country even half the price.
I was wondering if can do any mining with them that can worth the effort.. is that any good GPU mining still out there?

Would be great if you can help me out

Thanks

atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 03:54:17 AM

The "it is what it is" statement of these times is that noone is going to give up their personal cashcow coin.  A couple months back when there were fewer miners and more profit to be made, these types of questions were more directly answered.

What it comes down to is that if it's my ROI vs your ROI or my profit vs your profit, i have to look out for my own.  I say this not to be a jerk, but i see these posts all the time now and i have to shake my head.  I don't typically respond to them (this is one of the first), but i feel the need for frankness concerning the truth here.

That being said, the altcoin section of this forum is all you need.  The other thing you need is basically free rent / electricity, so hopefully you have that working for you.

Good luck  Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:08:18 AM

Sadly with that amount it will take really cheap electricity to mine for profit.  With removing heat, and powering GPU's it is hard now days for most to be profitable.

I sold off my GPU's and went with scrypt asic.  Much more efficient on electricity and I can mine with profit. 

I would cut loses and sell cards myself, unless you have very very cheap electricity.
Langly

Activity: 213

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 06:41:55 AM

I've found some tiny backwater multi algo coin that keeps hitting min diff for scrypt, been doing 100k sat a day or more, yeah not a lot, but using only 75kh scrypt, and even that sometimes brings the diff back up, I actually need LESS power on it to make more. Actually tempted to get a dualminer USB for like $12 just to use on it, but I hear those burn out quickly a lot.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 08:08:24 AM

you bought too many , you should have started with a few and then increase with the profit that you could have made
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 08:58:38 AM

Terrible planning. You should have run your numbers before buying such a large quantity.
Your only hopes at this point are:
  • keep on mining and hope the price will go up: I can tell there are some alts for which running costs are almost on the same order of magnitude as the produced coins;
  • try super extra hard and get the (very likely to exist) elite kernels for the coin of your choice - good luck at that!
Given your initial investment, terminating mining operation just because of the running costs is basically nonsense. You have made your bet already.
Bananana

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 10:40:49 AM

Hi guys,
We bought 24 -- R9 280x cards and by the time we got them the difficulty for Litecoin went so high.. and we haven't use them since then.. also no one would buy them in my country even half the price.
I was wondering if can do any mining with them that can worth the effort.. is that any good GPU mining still out there?

Thanks

which country are you from? If u happen to be close to me I can buy them..

Altcoinadicted

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 11:31:37 AM

How much are you asking for your cards ?
ChekaZ
Legendary

Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 11:47:52 AM

Just wait, you can use them soon again Wink #NeoScrypt

BTC: 1Ges1taJ69W7eEMbQLcmNGnUZenBkCnn45
FTC: 6sxjM96KMZ7t4AmDTUKDZdq82Nj931VQvY
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 11:58:48 AM

^+1
And perhaps Lyra2
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 07:47:04 PM

LOL ! You should really plan your investments a "little" bit better in advance. If your electricity is cheap, then mine monero. I think this is the only coin/algo that can give you a ROI. Everything else is pretty much throwing money out of the window.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 02:13:16 AM

LOL ! You should really plan your investments a "little" bit better in advance. If your electricity is cheap, then mine monero. I think this is the only coin/algo that can give you a ROI. Everything else is pretty much throwing money out of the window.

Keep in mind the card will go down in value as you are mining.  At some point you have to cut your loss.

Without knowing your electricity and cooling I cannot say what is best.
DMeeks

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 01:30:27 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks

You got no choice but to try hard to sell it, the price is dropping each day as we speak.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 03:23:19 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks

You got no choice but to try hard to sell it, the price is dropping each day as we speak.

It is sad but true.  There are many lucky gamers out there getting cards very cheap (if they have not been push to hard).

Some advice on selling include copy of invoice and you will get a little more it seems if your still in warranty with your brand.
Katarina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:57:00 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks

More importantly, how much is your electricity cost/kwh? If its low enough you can try mine and get some profit out of it.
TimeHacker

Activity: 521
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:31:56 PM

You can still use them to mine some cryptonote coin, see e.g. Minergate (they also have profit calculator).

OptimusPrime7

Activity: 122

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:10:22 PM

You can still use them to mine some cryptonote coin, see e.g. Minergate (they also have profit calculator).

I though minergate is only for cpu mining and not gpu?
empsd

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:24:44 PM

you made the big investment already now you only risk the costs of electricity .
even if the cost is high it is worth the risk since you already paid for the gear and no one will buy it as you stated ..
as i see it this is the smartest move
try selling it bit by bit to reduce your risk not at less then 50% of the cost however meanwhile keep mining try to focus on new coins that look promising and wait for the next price rise if it will come ..

good luck man i joined the mining game late like yourself however with a couple of smart investments in the right coins i managed to almost reach my ROI .
TimeHacker

Activity: 521
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 05:14:47 AM

I though minergate is only for cpu mining and not gpu?

Now theier new GUI miner includes also GPU mining of cryptonotes, but I don't know which GPUs are supported. They also support external GPU miners though.

BitSlapper

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:40:58 PM

Use the site coinwarz . It will be of more help then generic answers you'll get from here.

Neoscrypt looks promising.

I'm also working on a GPU miner for a new coin coming out that could be worth it.

It's possible that GPU mining will become profitable again in the near future, if you can afford to hold on to those cards a little while longer.

BitSlapper      Coin Shield : 2QscvkN2ddvKHhQZD9RjYS6nGXSLSSgQYJ6peCCXV8RNP8FZj2r
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: