Bitcoin Forum
August 24, 2024, 08:47:13 AM *
News: All versions of Windows are affected by a critical security bug; make sure you update.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe to Close Wallet & Exit MB While Still Confirming Transaction?  (Read 1391 times)
allgoodthings1 (OP)

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 11:53:32 PM

OK. I initiate a send or receive from my MultiBit wallet. I see it hits the blockchain and the MB client starts registering its confirmation process.  At that point, is it safe to close my wallet and the program -- that is, even before it's fully confirmed and I see the green check mark?  Or, should I wait till the transaction is fully confirmed before I close up shop.  I guess I'm a little paranoid about leaving my wallet open for long periods of time while my computer's busy doing other things online.

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 03:30:46 AM

As far as I know, once the transaction is sent, it will eventually confirm even if you close the wallet. It's recommended to leave it open so that you verify everything is OK, but it makes no difference to the network.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 12:47:01 PM

Just to confirm - R2R221 is right - once the tx is in your wallet if you close MB and reopen it it will catch up the blocks and confirm

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: