Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:42:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig with wood?  (Read 5703 times)
Xmufa23X (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:17:02 PM

Building my next rig right now. Just got the parts for a 3rd rig a couple of minutes ago.

I only have 2 PC cases, so this third rig will need to rest on top of something. Will a 2'x2' piece of plywood be ok? Can the motherboard rest right on top of wood without any issues?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:19:04 PM

Building my next rig right now. Just got the parts for a 3rd rig a couple of minutes ago.

I only have 2 PC cases, so this third rig will need to rest on top of something. Will a 2'x2' piece of plywood be ok? Can the motherboard rest right on top of wood without any issues?
You should probably get some standoffs to hold it away from the wood. It probably would work, but you risk the wood retaining perhaps a little moisture, and therefore being conductive. Or you could have a thin sheet of plastic in between the board and the plywood, that should work.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Xmufa23X (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:30:45 PM

You should probably get some standoffs to hold it away from the wood. It probably would work, but you risk the wood retaining perhaps a little moisture, and therefore being conductive. Or you could have a thin sheet of plastic in between the board and the plywood, that should work.
I was thinking about cutting out the top of a lid for a plastic storage box (Will attach pic below). Would I have any melting problems with it? Also would it be alright for the PSU to rest on it as well?
http://www.plasticstoragebinshq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/usefulplasticstoragebins.jpg
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:34:15 PM

I was thinking about cutting out the top of a lid for a plastic storage box (Will attach pic below). Would I have any melting problems with it? Also would it be alright for the PSU to rest on it as well?

Won't melt, I assume you might even be underclocking the CPU since it is a dedicated rig.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Xmufa23X (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:41:21 PM

http://www.plasticstoragebinshq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/usefulplasticstoragebins.jpg
Won't melt, I assume you might even be underclocking the CPU since it is a dedicated rig.
Yes dedicated. I have an old AM2 Athlon X2 3.0Ghz 6000+. Pretty sure it's thermal design is 125, and I don't think I can underclock it since it isn't a Blackbox edition.
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 11:00:28 PM

Giga's FPGA mining rig gives me wood  Shocked

st4rdust

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 11:36:48 PM

Because of the subject line, I had initially thought that this thread would be a complaint about trying to build a mining rig with a raging erection. How it might get in the way, knock things over, etc.

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip
Miner612

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

FPGA convert

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 01:03:25 AM

I have ten rigs right now.  ALL built on a plank of wood.  BEST way to do it bro.  Don't waste money and heat on a case.

I literally slap a mobo on a chunk of plywood, and use small nails to nail the board in place.  Works great!

I buy and sell GPUs, most 5850s and 7970s. 
jimzolorenzo@gmail.com  -- Make an offer.
http://myworld.ebay.com/i_buy_5850s  -- current inventory
I have a couple bare bone mining rigs for sale as well.

--------------

I bought silver from [ccliu] 5 star transaction!
I bought silver from [TECSHARE] -- shipping still
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 01:14:07 AM

I have ten rigs right now.  ALL built on a plank of wood.  BEST way to do it bro.  Don't waste money and heat on a case.

I literally slap a mobo on a chunk of plywood, and use small nails to nail the board in place.  Works great!

Interesting, never really thought of nailing boards to wood to secure them. I myself use enamel coated wire shelves from Target with a rubber foam layer to keep things sliding between shelves and messing up the works.
Miner612

Activity: 84

FPGA convert

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 01:29:04 AM

Interesting, never really thought of nailing boards to wood to secure them. I myself use enamel coated wire shelves from Target with a rubber foam layer to keep things sliding between shelves and messing up the works.

Works great!!!  I have had rigs running since about September last year.  Never any fire, smoke or stress on the wood!  SUPER cheap!

I buy and sell GPUs, most 5850s and 7970s. 
jimzolorenzo@gmail.com  -- Make an offer.
http://myworld.ebay.com/i_buy_5850s  -- current inventory
I have a couple bare bone mining rigs for sale as well.

--------------

I bought silver from [ccliu] 5 star transaction!
I bought silver from [TECSHARE] -- shipping still
Xmufa23X (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 04:23:27 AM

I was thinking about trying nails. Went with wooden dowels instead.

Alright so quick update here guys. This is my first attempt actually making a board to secure electronics. I counter sunk small wooden dowels on each corner of the MoBo to lift it up from the plywood. Two 5830s are on their way from Ebay. And the PSU is just kinda sitting there right now. I think I will want to suspend it in case it ever dies and catches fire. I might put a sheet of metal on the one half of the plywood. From what I last remember, spontaneous ignition for wood is usually around 900'F. Granted that this is a mixture of wood, and glue, I will take a guess and say it's around 400-500'F. So as long as there is a peice of metal preventing a flame from hitting wood, and if it doesn't get 400'F+, I think I will be fine.
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz62/nateflax/chan/IMG_4488.jpg
kliffen

Activity: 119

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 11:19:12 AM

I use IKEA woodshelves(Is that the right word?) for 3 of my miners. Drilled holes to standoffs and has worked perfectly for over 3 months.
Olly_K

Activity: 361

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 12:19:46 PM

Because of the subject line, I had initially thought that this thread would be a complaint about trying to build a mining rig with a raging erection. How it might get in the way, knock things over, etc.

It's not a problem, just keep it away from the fans Cheesy
bob

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 05:39:33 PM

If you still have it, you could also try using the foam that comes in the box with the motherboard.  If you put that between the motherboard and the wood it will keep any solder points from have pressure on them, and will probably help keep the board from sliding around (which it might want to because of the torque from the power cable).

Also unless you don't plan on putting any cards directly into the slots, make sure you put the motherboard close enough to the edge of the wood that the end of the card sticks over and can get pushed down into the slot all the way.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 06:03:22 PM

If you still have it, you could also try using the foam that comes in the box with the motherboard.  If you put that between the motherboard and the wood it will keep any solder points from have pressure on them, and will probably help keep the board from sliding around (which it might want to because of the torque from the power cable).

Also unless you don't plan on putting any cards directly into the slots, make sure you put the motherboard close enough to the edge of the wood that the end of the card sticks over and can get pushed down into the slot all the way.
Just as long as it isn't static preventing foam, since that is conductive and will short the board out. I did that once. Avoid the pink foam if you need insulating properties.

wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 11:24:28 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2012, 01:44:42 AM by wknight

I have a few wooden rigs.. this is the one i just finished today.

http://twitpic.com/989ano

here is another without risers.
http://twitpic.com/986xnl

another low profile one

http://twitpic.com/8cqc37

I removed the front wooden bar on the last one though. I wanted to make sure the heat could escape.

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 11:44:58 PM

When I saw the subject line, I was thinking along the lines of actually powering the rigs with wood.  You know, have a wood stack that boils water, convert the steam into electricity via a turbine, etc.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 12:01:29 AM

I have a few wooden rigs.. this is the one i just finished today.

here is another without risers.

another low profile one

I removed the front wooden bar on the last one though. I wanted to make sure the heat could escape.
Your cloudfront links appear to be broken.

JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 12:05:28 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2012, 12:28:44 AM by JWU42

I do the wood thing - not as slick as the aluminum frameless rigs but works well.  I'll go snap a picture...

Server Room with "Kong" - 2x5970 + 3x5870

The rigs that power YABMC (until BFL comes through) - 2 x 4x7970

ARapalo

Activity: 93

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 12:28:01 AM

I would think just wood is fine. You won't have a problem with moisture, but that really depends on where you put it. And if you want to insulate it with plastic, the problem with that is that some plastic holds static charges pretty well, and that's never good for electronic components.

I personally would just go with bare wood.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: