Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:37:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme  (Read 5159 times)
blatchcorn (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:04:09 AM

All investments, even the most lucrative, go through years and sometimes decades of under-performance.

Observe the following:

Apple has gone through much more corrections that Bitcoin ever has.  But shrewd investors saw a fundamentally strong company, held, and got rich.

People looking for a 'safe' investment in Gold must be shitting themselves right now

ARM is supposed to go to the moon, like Bitcoin.  But where is the rally? Are people loosing interest? Is ARM failing?  Sounds familiar...

That is one hell of a 'capitulation'.  But there are in fact loads of these deep, deep corrections  - some of which cut deeper than the preceding rally.  IBM has had dozens of Bitcoin's 2011 corrections. But that has had ZERO influence on the longer term trend and fundamentals of the company.

Now look at this beauty.  Look at how easy we have had it.  We can barely call 2014 a 'capitulation', or even a 'correction' compared to the SAFER investments above.  For Bitcoin to truly go through a set-back, the price would need to fall to $100.  And even then, it will have zero impact on the price in 2018.

If you do not have patience, go waste your money in Vegas.  If you do not have vision, go waste your money on booze.  If you have common sense, invest a small percentage of your money in Bitcoin and hodl for at least 10 years. 

Remember, if you are not on the train you can NEVER go to the moon
falllling

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:10:03 AM

bitcoin is going to nowhere but down!

final capitulation incoming!
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:30:33 AM

bitcoin is going to nowhere but down!

final capitulation incoming!

looks like failllling is a bot re-posting the same comment over different threads Smiley

leezay

Activity: 363
Merit: 100

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:35:11 AM

Nice chart.

The assumption of bitcoin going to 1M is too optimistic. The fundamental and market usage for bitcoin might be strong, but I do not see how this correlated to price going upward. Remember, 100 usd per coin or 1000 usd per coin doesn't change how the protocol work.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:38:21 AM

It's a "get rich quick but not that quick" scheme.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:38:57 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2014, 12:05:57 PM by Wandererfromthenorth

I think we just have to revise the "hype cycle" graph, and accept that we are at a point where we won't follow that exponential trendline anymore.

I think we will stay at these prices for longer than people imagine.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:39:29 AM

hahahaha exactly what I thought reading the first post   Grin Grin
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 5043

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:41:53 AM

It amazes me that there are people out there who throw away their hard-earned money on daily and weekly lotteries for years/decades, but scoff at the idea of buying and holding bitcoin for at least 12 months.  Bitcoin is about a 1M : 1 chance of a return over a jackpot lottery ticket.

I guess it's the same mentality though, wanting just to get rich quick or not at all.
zeroday
Donator

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:43:41 AM

I think we just have to revise the "hype cycle" graph, and accept that we are at a point where we won't follow that exponential trendline no more.

Bitcoin adoption is still in early stage. $6 billions is just a tiny drop in ocean of finances. It's new technology and it's expanding.
Imagine BTC price when at least 1% of world population start using it.
Justine

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:46:20 AM

It amazes me that there are people out there who throw away their hard-earned money on daily and weekly lotteries for years/decades, but scoff at the idea of buying and holding bitcoin for at least 12 months.  Bitcoin is about a 1M : 1 chance of a return over a jackpot lottery ticket.

I guess it's the same mentality though, wanting just to get rich quick or not at all.

So true.

Money is better spent on bitcoin than on lottery ticket while the odd of getting nice payoff is better on bitcoin.
big ears

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:56:32 AM

So true.

Money is better spent on bitcoin than on lottery ticket while the odd of getting nice payoff is better on bitcoin.

People who buy lottery tickets instead of bitcoin are impatient for a win and want a big payout tomorrow. Bitcoin buyers must have enough patience to wait 5 years for a really big win.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 11:58:08 AM

The assumption of bitcoin going to 1M is too optimistic. The fundamental and market usage for bitcoin might be strong, but I do not see how this correlated to price going upward. Remember, 100 usd per coin or 1000 usd per coin doesn't change how the protocol work.

It does not affect the protocol, but price (and therefore market capitalization) makes a difference in the economic viability of a currency. For example, if a bitcoin were still worth $1, it would be impossible to buy a moderately luxurious estate such as this using BTC:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/%28undisclosed-Address%29-Beverly-Hills-CA-90210/2105605053_zpid/
(only a bit over 13 million BTC have been mined until now).
As soon as transactions regarding houses, cars, ships, or planes using bitcoins become common, a single bitcoin must be worth much more than $10,000. $1M isn't really far off.

Of course, this assumes that bitcoin is the only or at least the major cryptocurrency in use. Unlike gold, which can't really be replaced by anything else, bitcoin could just be replaced or supplemented by other crypto currencies.

Onkel Paul

franckuestein
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1130

Truth will out!

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 12:01:21 PM

Every photo that you posted on the OP is a different company and every market for example is also a world.

Of course Bitcoin is going up but the most important thing is not the price... the most important thing is the future that BTC can bring to us as a payment alternative to the $, € or other currencies, don't you think so?

To conclude: I like that 'Bitcoin logistic model'  Cheesy

[ AVAILABLE SIGNATURE SPACE ]
falllling

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:03:10 PM

I think we just have to revise the "hype cycle" graph, and accept that we are at a point where we won't follow that exponential trendline no more.

Bitcoin adoption is still in early stage. $6 billions is just a tiny drop in ocean of finances. It's new technology and it's expanding.
Imagine BTC price when at least 1% of world population start using it.

it's exectly what an ponzi pyramid scheme introducer always tell you "imagine your profit when at least 1% of world population join your affiliate programs"

however no matter how good does this sound like it's still a fake dream, bitcoin is not going to anywhere but down, kiss $500 goodbye!
blatchcorn (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:05:20 PM

Cheesy

Only to same extent that stocks etc. can make people rich 'quick'
zeroday
Donator

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:12:51 PM

however no matter how good does this sound like it's still a fake dream, bitcoin is not going to anywhere but down, kiss $500 goodbye!

So, you states that bitcoin is dead for you and you have no interest on it. But why are you wasting all your time to sit here on bitcoin forum and repeatedly post your doomsday comments in every thread ?
Buo

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:27:13 PM

I trust more those charts when we are on the upper part of the trendline, now it's too hard to believe that we are heading to 1m.

zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:36:01 PM

Maybe it is not any more - but that graps shows that for those who bought in 2010 it worked pretty well as a get rich quick scheme wasn't it?
falllling

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 01:05:40 PM

Maybe it is not any more - but that graps shows that for those who bought in 2010 it worked pretty well as a get rich quick scheme wasn't it?

those who bought in 2013 bubble and early 2014 lost so much $$$$ isn't it?
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 01:12:21 PM

to quote Vladimir "bitcoin isn't a get rich scheme, it's a get rich slow scheme."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: