Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:30:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to buy bitcoins with paypal?  (Read 4190 times)
manman523 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 10:33:35 PM

Hey guys, im just wondering whats my best way to buy bitcoins with paypal. Do I have to convert paypal to another currency or what ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 10:38:00 PM

Find someone willing to sell them to you for PayPal.  (that's the hard part)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bitcoinsarefun

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 10:38:43 PM

Hey guys, im just wondering whats my best way to buy bitcoins with paypal. Do I have to convert paypal to another currency or what ?

You would have to send whatever currency the seller wanted... As an fyi, not too many people are keen on doing paypal for btc since there is a massive risk of charge back. That being said, there are always people that are willing to take the risk
manman523 (OP)

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 10:42:22 PM

You would have to send whatever currency the seller wanted... As an fyi, not too many people are keen on doing paypal for btc since there is a massive risk of charge back. That being said, there are always people that are willing to take the risk
haha of course there will be i guess but will I be willing to buy from them? Theres a high chance i might just get scammed Sad
bitcoinsarefun

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 10:43:33 PM

haha of course there will be i guess but will I be willing to buy from them? Theres a high chance i might just get scammed Sad

Explain how you will get scammed? The seller of bitcoin is assuming all the risk here, what is your risk?
5850Guy

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:06:47 AM

I've done it through virwox.com before.

It's a complicated process of paypal--->Linden Dollars--->BTC.

The fees are kind of ridiculous too.

Hopefully someone will post a better way..............
Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 12:09:23 AM

There is a better way the #bitcoin-otc on freenode.  You need to validate yourself with a PGP private key, but once you get used to that and build reputation, there's tons of transactions you can do.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
Variable

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:11:02 AM

there is no problem when buying with paypal, its all with selling.  thats the total risk as paypal assumes the responsibility on the seller not the buyer.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:57:41 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2012, 01:15:51 AM by Stephen Gornick

Buy a little mini bit (about $0.50 worth, $1, worth or $2 worth):
 - http://minibits.weebly.com/buy.html

or buy a little bigger bit (either $5 worth or $10 worth) if you have a PayPal debit card  (or any credit card even):
 - http://www.blockchain.info/wallet

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

SistaS0uljah

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 01:11:26 AM

I'm just not sure why some people are so set on PayPal.
An alternative that's more generally accepted is Dwolla (or depending on where you have your checking account there are other alternatives).
Dwolla is NOT a solution to the PayPal issue, it is simply another part of  the problem.  Dwolla is responsible for the closing of TradeHill, (the second largest exchange after Mt. Gox) which has now sued Dwolla for revoking hundreds of thousands of dollars from TradeHill's account.  Before TradeHill closed, they refunded all bitcoins to their users, so no TradeHill customers lost anything, but TradeHill lost EVERYTHING because of Dwolla's rescinding their "no chargeback" policy.  Dwolla then modified their website after the fact to allow chargebacks (which they had earlier proudly proclaimed they would never use).

I closed my Dwolla account and will never use them again.  I suggest you do the same.  Dwolla owes their success to Bitcoin, but now they've turned on us and made it far riskier to run an exchange.  You may notice that several exchanges are no longer using Dwolla because of what happened to TradeHill.
madcoweater

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 01:19:58 AM

As others have mentioned bitcoin-otc.com (the IRC channel) is probably your best bet. You are going to have difficulty even there finding someone who will sell you bitcoins for paypal. If you do find someone they will probably only sell a small quantity and price gouge you until you have enough transactions to be trusted.
guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 01:24:10 AM

The best way to buy BTC with PP is to

1) Get a PP debit card
2) Withdraw cash
3) Go to www.bitinstant.com or www.aurumxchange.com and fill in the form for a CASH deposit
 - choose a mtgox or bitcoinica or cryptoxchange code
4) Go to bank, deposit cash in Trustcash account
5) log into your exchange account
6) View funds
7) Buy BTC
Cool ?? ??
9) Profit!!!

EDIT: Bonus hint: one has lower fees than the other, both are awesome
Bonus Hint 2: Get cash over a couple days buying stuff w/ the debit & cashback at grocery stores etc to save ATM fees

hotboy1504

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 02:50:55 AM

I think paypal is the most convenient and easy to buy bitcoins. You have another simple and more convenient. Please share!
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 05:55:54 AM

Buying bitcoins with paypal is a bad idea, as you will pay a significant premium to do so
Xmufa23X

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 06:49:28 AM

Wait guys...

GUYS!

Wait!

Listen...

Hey!

Guys...

GUYS LISTEN...

What if...

Get this...

What if the Best way of buying Bitcoins... is with Bitcoins?

I know, am I right? I am a genius! Please send tips to 16ET6C6Y1qHewjjZkg3MfjqTPRxZYKWPth
arby
Donator

Activity: 112

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 07:16:50 AM

very hard to find a paypal bitcoin seller, especially if you are new.

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 08:57:50 PM

Buy Bitcoins with Bitcoins at casascius.com!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Xmufa23X

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 02:54:15 AM

I know, am I right? I am a genius! Please send tips to 16ET6C6Y1qHewjjZkg3MfjqTPRxZYKWPth

Great, another online beggar.

Despite the sarcasm, it's still the newbie board bro. Have some more coffee Wink
btccomm

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 08:42:33 PM

I saw some ebay auctions for bitcoin but the margin is quite high.  i suspect the risk of charge back is the reason
firepacket

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 09:13:13 PM

Buy Bitcoins with Bitcoins at casascius.com!

Hey casascius,
How do you or your partners handle the risk associated with buying your coins via paypal or credit card? Is it because the goods are tangible and must be shipped that the risk is lower?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: